Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2019.05.03, 04:42 AM   #61
shirasagi

shirasagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
If you've heard BUCK-TICK this song isn't remotely surprising.

It also just sounds like poor man's version of track 2 from Reimport 1. If that can even exist LOL.

But hey if someone can find SOMETHING out of this one, that's something. I won't lie- I am enjoying the meltdown from the Ringo apologists and those ceaselessly using the "she's for the 1%/housewife" defense for her. What housewife will want to listen to this lol.

Oh one thing to note that may provide a glimmer of hope- I assume some of the older songs have rearrangements. Why? Apple music revealed the song lengths and some vary wildly from their OG ones. Donzoko is only 2:20. Also they only let you preview a few of the pre-release tracks.
I get where your disappointment is coming from (my mind went to Kachû no otoko within like three seconds), and that is also why I said that I like the song, I just don't see it as a single. I feel like both the first track and this one are supposed to be teasers for the album moreso than singles in the proper sense. Both of them sound like two parts of a song cycle rather than standalone songs, even though the album is chock full of old singles.

I looked at the track lengths on iTunes and except for Donzoko, they are all just slightly trimmed, so I'm not getting my hopes up for rearrangements - we've seen this on Sunny. But who knows?

I'm with thespidereggs on this one - this darker sound would be amazing and fresh throughout the entire album, but it's probably not going to happen. But I'm pleased we're hearing new sounds. Even if it sounds like Kachû no otoko and Buck-Tick (I have to admit I last heard Buck-Tick probably fifteen years ago), it sounds refreshing to hear influences she hasn't explored as much in the last decade or so.
shirasagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.03, 04:42 AM   #62
shirasagi

Okay, my session expired while I was posting and I had to log in again and now I see my post appeared two times, and I don't see where I can delete a post. Am I just stupid or does someone have to do that for me?
Sorry about that!

Last edited by shirasagi : 2019.05.03 at 04:45 AM.
Old 2019.05.03, 07:27 AM   #63
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

As someone whose favourite Ringo song might be "Hatsukoi Shoujo," Niwatori is making me super excited for this album.
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.03, 10:42 AM   #64
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

So I've listened to this new single a few times now, and frankly, it's growing on me.

There are problems, to be sure - the mastering is awful, the chorus is slightly hokey, and I don't think any self-respecting EDM or industrial fan would consider this to be a well-executed example of either of those genres (if indeed that is what it's trying to be).

But the melody is memorable and Ringo's vocals cut like the shining edge of a sword. The dissonance is amazing. And I disagree with the idea that this is just Kachuu no Otoko lite - this has a much harder sound. Even if it's not a 100% new sound for her, it is definitely an area she has not explored very much. Just as she refined her jazz offerings over the years, maybe this will become an element of her music that she refines over future releases too.

So I'm giving it a 7/10. Mock me if you must.
Old 2019.05.03, 12:04 PM   #65
shirasagi

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
So I've listened to this new single a few times now, and frankly, it's growing on me.

There are problems, to be sure - the mastering is awful, the chorus is slightly hokey, and I don't think any self-respecting EDM or industrial fan would consider this to be a well-executed example of either of those genres (if indeed that is what it's trying to be).

But the melody is memorable and Ringo's vocals cut like the shining edge of a sword. The dissonance is amazing. And I disagree with the idea that this is just Kachuu no Otoko lite - this has a much harder sound. Even if it's not a 100% new sound for her, it is definitely an area she has not explored very much. Just as she refined her jazz offerings over the years, maybe this will become an element of her music that she refines over future releases too.

So I'm giving it a 7/10. Mock me if you must.
Good take!
Old 2019.05.04, 08:33 AM   #66
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by shirasagi View Post
Okay, my session expired while I was posting and I had to log in again and now I see my post appeared two times, and I don't see where I can delete a post. Am I just stupid or does someone have to do that for me?
Sorry about that!
I guess you have to go on " Advanced Edit" and there is an option on top to delete message, if I'm not mistaken

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.14, 03:14 AM   #67
Slowdive

Slowdive has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Slowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.05.16, 04:26 AM   #68
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

TOKYO was just released.

It's a showtune.

How many times can she release the same song?
Old 2019.05.16, 04:57 AM   #69
shirasagi

So I was reading these "liner notes" today: https://sp.universal-music.co.jp/rin...XHvPTEMGaO5BbI

Here are some interesting takeaways:

Right off the bat, don't let Ringo fool you by mentioning the similarities to KZK because she's talking about the creative process. The point she's making is that she regards Sanmon Gossip, Sunny and Sandokushi as a trilogy of albums, much like MM-SS-KZK are regarded, and in that sense, making this album felt similar to when she was making KZK. She's also talking about referencing life and death in the first and last tracks and that the album was designed to flow continuously, all of which are similarities with KZK, but those are more of a conceptual than musical nature. As a side note, "Donzoko made" has a different tempo on the album - hence the different track length. I suspect this is going to be similar to what happened with "Dopamint".

However, she also mentions that she started working on the new album pretty much right away after she finished Sunny. I mean, not that we didn't know as much with the singles dropping since 2015, but she also mentions that even while writing those songs, she was always considering them as a part of a larger whole and was also thinking about what place they would have on an album. Similarly, both the Hyakkiyako and Air Pocket concerts have been a part of this album concept.

She also says that she conceived of this album from the standpoint of "performance" - which includes (but is not limited to) singing. Make of that what you will, she doesn't really elaborate on that. However, all the guest vocalists on the album are apparently also a Horse in the Chinese zodiac, just like Ringo is. I only googled Sakurai Atsushi and that is true, the rest would have to be verified - but what's interesting is that even the selection of the featured artists is a part of a bigger concept.

Reading between the lines, it feels like she's closing a chapter with this album. After ten years of this "trilogy" in the making, that's exciting!
Old 2019.05.16, 06:33 AM   #70
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2)

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is an asset to this community

The only similarity between trilogies is that they both feature sound and that it was recorded. To form any level of comparison in regards to originality or quality of composition would be a sectionable offense. She's delusional.

The only chapter needing closed right now is the one on her career. She needs an extremely long holiday.
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is offline   Reply With Quote