Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2020.07.19, 06:44 PM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default New Tokyo Jihen Single "Akai No Doumei" 8.12

So there's a new Jihen single out on August 12 entitled "Akai no Doumei" (Red Alliance) for a drama "私たちはどうかしている" (which Kronekodow has translated as "What Are We Doing").

Here's the promo pic.

If anyone actually sees and replies to this thread I will be shocked.

Old 2020.07.19, 08:09 PM   #2
chatenoire

chatenoire pleased at least somebody

So the lead actor, Ryusei Yokohama, has been admitted to hospital for COVID-19.
Although the TV production has been halted, they still keep the premiere date.

Wherever you are, stay safe and healthy!

Last edited by chatenoire : 2020.07.21 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Ryusei Yokohama
chatenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.07.22, 05:47 PM   #3
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Guessing it's a Ringo track from the name? Here's to hoping it's as quality as Yasei no Doumei.

This means we're due for a new TJ album yeah?
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.07.26, 06:11 PM   #4
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'm seriously guessing it was for the Olympics and they shilled it off to the drama cause they aren't gonna happen
Old 2020.08.03, 03:00 PM   #5
thespidereggs

Update: The single will include two new songs in additional to the title track. (Source) The songs are Meijitsu Tomoni (Izawa) and Gyokazu no Wana (Ukigumo). I guess the 4-character thing is happening now.

If Akai no Doumei was indeed something purely written for the Olympics, the inclusion of two other tracks is a nice touch. I thought the days of a proper single were behind us! TJ hasn't released a single in this format since... 2007?
Old 2020.08.05, 03:31 PM   #6
Slowdive

Slowdive has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Don't know if it's worth making a new thread for this but another new song got announced. preview
Slowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.08.12, 03:49 PM   #7
deadgrandma

Single turned out hmmmm... ok. Better than NEWS for sure.

I am finding it much harder to connect with this new iteration of Tokyo Jihen though, they sound cold and joyless.
Old 2020.08.14, 01:56 PM   #8
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

東京事変 - 赤の同盟 (Official Music Video)

Video is pretty cool. First impression is the melody isn't very memorable and it's SR & the band trying a lot of their normal tricks to elevate it but it doesn't get there.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.08.15, 07:17 AM   #9
thespidereggs

I appreciate how cohesive the new single is, even if it's inconsistent quality-wise. For the most part, Izawa's contributions are particularly messy and tonally jarring but the single overall is pretty solid.

Aka no Doumei - The song kind of meanders throughout the first half but thankfully the bridge is fantastic and the second half where the song comes together is really engaging. If the melody sounds pretty reminiscent of Eien no Fuzai Shoumei I'm willing to give it a pass.
Meijitsu Tomoni is where Izawa tries to do too much and it ends up feeling more like a medley than a proper tune. It sounds like a mash-up of Gaman/BB.Queen where he decides to throw a random Weezer break-down (?) into the mix. It mostly just plods along, which is a shame cos the guitars at the start tease something much heavier!
Gyokazu no Wana - This is more like it. Out of all the new songs I've been missing Tokyo Jihen's groovy side, and I'm glad Ukigumo finally brings some smooth R&B vibes. The song doesn't overreach and works because it commits to one thing. Hata's drumming is the definite highlight here.

Also, from the PV's "And the Beat Goes On" I'm totally convinced a new album proper is in the works...
Old 2020.08.21, 05:50 PM   #10
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

I liked the start of Meijitsu Tomo ni, I was excited to see where it went and I wasn't let down but I can't say I'm all about it. The mixed parts are neat alone. I think the song will grow on me.

I can't stand Gyokazu. I don't think it's bad but it's not my taste at all.

My over are feelings for the single are that it isn't bad. A lot of it is interesting. I can see myself enjoying the first two tracks the more I listen to them. I think it'd be funny if I end up in love with Gyokazu after what I said but weirder things have happened in 2020.

Originally Posted by thespidereggs View Post
Gaman/BB.Queen where he decides to throw a random Weezer break-down (?) into the mix.
Omg. I don't know if I would have thought that on my own, but I'll never unhear Weezer in that part lol!
JimmyKoria is offline   Reply With Quote