Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2020.08.24, 10:07 PM   #2
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I bought my ticket on Zaiko! Was fairly painless - there's an English version, and you can pay with your credit card or paypal etc.

This was a bit unexpected, though it would have been more interesting if they had chosen to do a live stream (in real time) instead of streaming something pre-recorded.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.09.03, 06:28 PM   #3
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I bought my ticket on Zaiko! Was fairly painless - there's an English version, and you can pay with your credit card or paypal etc.
Thanks! Bought one, too, after the gaijins at fb said that Zaiko looks like the only gaijin option.

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
This was a bit unexpected, though it would have been more interesting if they had chosen to do a live stream (in real time) instead of streaming something pre-recorded.
I guess there's lots of issue about that feasib-wise. Not to mention if they're insecure about making mistakes. Still, excited for tomorrow. Glad that they're still gonna play lots of old gems, and not just their new forgettable singles.

Last edited by waranghira : 2020.09.03 at 06:48 PM.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.09.05, 08:22 AM   #4
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

band was tight but i gotta say SR was not really on top of her vocal game on some of the songs. otherwise it was a concise, sharp, well delivered show that probably didnt deviate a single atom from the producer's blocking notes. lol. i really wish they would've performed a couple more songs from kyouiku beyond just gunjou...

on a tangential note, dare i say i kind of enjoyed ayu's live streamed a-nation set that took place last week to this? (it's not an apples to apples comparison of course...)
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.09.05, 02:10 PM   #5
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

There were a couple songs I took issue with vocally, but most were pretty good. Overall it was a solid performance. Her voice has aged and I guess I just have to get used to that.

But seriously though, 90 minutes of Ringo's honest, unadulterated voice, plus megaphone, plus more guitar than she's played in years? This was the best thing since Expo 15 and I really enjoyed it.

Yeah her voice may not have always been perfect, but at least we got the real Ringo here. I fucking loved it.
Old 2020.09.05, 08:06 PM   #6
waranghira

I took issue with Izawa's new chords for Superstar. ))

Can't capture everything since my drivespace won't permit it, but I hope someone did. My favorite moment was at OSCA where everyone's showing their dedicated space for licks, then Izawa just held a single note. Ukigumo was glaring at him after, and a few seconds later, Izawa acknowledges him with a laugh.

My defunct band.

Last edited by waranghira : 2020.09.05 at 09:05 PM.
Old 2020.09.06, 12:49 AM   #7
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I watched this event!
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.09.06, 01:00 AM   #8
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

And by the way I was supposed to go to the event at 2.29 but due to the pandemic and all it all went down the drain, unfortunately. And I wasn't paying enough attention and such was a bit surprised that even though the time was fixed at 7 pm yesterday, what was aired was in fact a recording from July. Not a live experience if you ask me. And no support for modern things like AirPlay, Chromecast or anything. I had to connect a PC to my tv with a HDMI cable (!!). Which in a way is pretty nostalgic. The songs and everything was awesome however. It's great that even TJ did something like this, finally.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.09.06, 09:53 AM   #9
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by waranghira View Post
I took issue with Izawa's new chords for Superstar. ))

Can't capture everything since my drivespace won't permit it, but I hope someone did. My favorite moment was at OSCA where everyone's showing their dedicated space for licks, then Izawa just held a single note. Ukigumo was glaring at him after, and a few seconds later, Izawa acknowledges him with a laugh.
I laughed so hard at this. One of the rare moments of the band being really loose and having fun.

I just got finished watching this in full and I have to say overall it's a decent show but I would have liked to see more Kyoiku or different arrangements of songs. We've also really been spoiled by other Tokyo Jihen shows debuting live versions of upcoming songs and there's none of that here. It's not my personal choice for a TJ setlist (Why the hell was Noriki on here? Is that really one of the better cuts from Sports? I think most of the songs from that album would have been a better choice than that song) but there are some real standout moments.

I actually feel like this may be the best live rendition of Superstar, at least since Dynamite Out!, and that's pretty impressive. I definitely felt the feels. I also enjoyed seeing the Sports arrangement of Zettai Zetsumei since it's been a while since we've heard it played like that. OSCA was a highlight, especially because of the aforementioned clip. But god, could we retire Toumei Ningen now? I could really do without the awful Adult arrangement of that song since it's the only one they seem to like doing live. If there's one song in need of a makeover it's definitely that tired concert closer.

I think the longer the show went on, the better Ringo looked, and I'm not just saying that because she was wearing less clothes (although that certainly didn't hurt things...) because she ROCKED that black dress and hat ensemble at the end of the show. Absolutely stellar and iconic look for her. The peacock look at the beginning also got a chuckle out of me.

Phase 2 hasn't sounded this good as a band in a while. Hata was on fire in terms of drumming and Uki's guitar tone was better than it's been in past concerts. All in all an enjoyable watch and a nice little blast to the past for me since we haven't seen these guys together officially since 2012. Looking forward to seeing what comes next!
Old 2020.09.23, 04:49 PM   #10
waranghira

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
But god, could we retire Toumei Ningen now? I could really do without the awful Adult arrangement of that song since it's the only one they seem to like doing live
.........but, Phase 2 Toumei Ningen is superior to Dynamite Out. But yeah, a different arrangement is always welcome, like how they Virgin Lined Gunjou Biyori before.

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
We've also really been spoiled by other Tokyo Jihen shows debuting live versions of upcoming songs and there's none of that here.
Because they have a shortage of good new songs. ) Even Petrolz' newer album ain't as special as their previous.