Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.10.07, 09:11 AM   #51
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
I don't even know why I wrote in this thread.
Don't be discouraged NIMH. People post to make their voices heard. But many other people just read. To learn. It's the readers who will be influenced by posts as well written as yours, because they are reading with an open mind and not because they have something to say. You'll probably never get the response you mentioned, written and posted as a reply. But I assure you millions have changed their thinking after just reading this vast resource called the Internet.

On topic: Defining a personality based on musical genre is a very strange thing to do. Instead, look at lifestyle, personal interactions, maybe her lyrics. But genre?

In my view, SR is one of the rare artists who has kept it real. Most artists are limited by their labels, their fans, or by their own capabilities to always express the same thing. If SR wants to express something new, something different, then she does, and she does it well. She's got musical wanderlust, she's curious, and she has a work ethic. And in that she has been consistent throughout her career.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.07, 10:45 AM   #52
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by zach View Post
In my view, SR is one of the rare artists who has kept it real. Most artists are limited by their labels, their fans, or by their own capabilities to always express the same thing. If SR wants to express something new, something different, then she does, and she does it well. She's got musical wanderlust, she's curious, and she has a work ethic. And in that she has been consistent throughout her career.
This is a GREAT point, Zach. Ringo WAS influenced by her fans when they told her that they liked music written by other members, and instead of writing something she did not believe in, she kept it real and stayed out of the composing aspect and still gave the fans what they wanted. Now we can only look forward to their next album with even more fervor.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.24, 05:49 PM   #53
Fauxie

Fauxie is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
(response to Hedo)
They were fake if they were not true extensions of Shiina. If they were written because "this is my ticket."

See it this way, I can write a rap song. Maybe even a really good one. Let's just say, and I played up the image. And people really liked it, they bought my blinged records, wore their do-rags like I wore em, and as is apparent on these forums, I have the street-cred.
The problem being? Thats not me. Rap can be fun and the like, but I'm not a "rap" kinda guy -- but I was "frontin" that I was. How irate would the people that saw me as the second coming of BIG be if I was just doing it cuz I could and not because it was what I really was? If I put out an acoustic rock record and played it that I was "stretching my art" and disowning my earlier rap songs -- what credibility do I have? I duped a bunch of people into thinking I was something I wasn't.

Sure, you can piddle with genres and swap them, but you don't swap your philosophy.

This is beyond "HF an Variety are (likely) shit" this is Shiina wrote rock songs cuz she could, played it up, made us believe, but wasn't truly what she was. Whether "phase 2" is 'her' any more than the early stuff was doesn't matter because she already compromised that artistic trust. Why should we think a few years from now she won't separate herself from these albums too?

This is hilarious. Whose philosophy? I think you'll find it's yours and always was. 'Artistic trust'? What you have is either liking the music or not. Everything else is you speculating about the intentions and personality of a total stranger. Plus a lot of feelings.
Fauxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.24, 07:03 PM   #54
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Nobody gives a fuck about what that guy says.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.25, 02:12 AM   #55
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

LOL
It's so funny that after 11 years this thread is still relevant
my 2007 self would cry for daaaaaysssss if she knew that

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.25, 02:14 AM   #56
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

All the complaints here seem like child's play compared to what a monster Ringo has become after 2015 (lol?)
Old 2018.11.25, 04:42 AM   #57
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I've mellowed in the last, let's check this thread date, 11 years Fauxie. You're right there's a fair bit of projection that goes on in fandoms. I don't think that's necessarily wrong. I don't even think it's wrong to feel upset if an artist starts making things that seem anathema to what you previously enjoyed.

Are you just looking for things to get upset or feel superior about? I'll save your the trouble, they're there.

On a lighter note, when i saw this thread title, I thought, what's DG on about now? Boy was I embarrassed
Old 2018.11.26, 01:43 AM   #58
Fauxie

Fauxie is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I've mellowed in the last, let's check this thread date, 11 years Fauxie. You're right there's a fair bit of projection that goes on in fandoms. I don't think that's necessarily wrong. I don't even think it's wrong to feel upset if an artist starts making things that seem anathema to what you previously enjoyed.

Are you just looking for things to get upset or feel superior about? I'll save your the trouble, they're there.

On a lighter note, when i saw this thread title, I thought, what's DG on about now? Boy was I embarrassed

I know, I know, it's from years ago. Apologies for being a bit of a dick with my tone. Not consciously looking to get upset or feel superior about something. I know it's a bit odd for you guys as this is old hat to you, a thread from ages ago, but the forum's new to me and I've been going through all the old threads in the main forum, seeing what fans were thinking at various times about different albums and whatnot. It's fascinating, I have to say.
Fauxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.27, 03:50 AM   #59
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I imagine It's very entertaining, especially the time when some people got banned by the late admin who shall not be named because they didn't like ukigumo XD

Oh wait, this was at the old Ringo Jihen forums
can we still have access to that?

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.10.28, 10:38 AM   #60
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Just reread this thread and it's interesting to get perspective from 12 years ago since this was literally around the time I was discovering Shiina Ringo. I think 2007 is probably the worst creative year in her entire career (I'll fight you, DG) so no wonder EMF sounded the alarm so quickly.

But I would like to just say this. I think we can all agree that if Ringo were still trying to replicate the "shock value" of Honnou 20 years later it would be a pretty depressing timeline to live in. Probably worse than the "release a couple singles and create a patchwork album" one we live in now.

Let me use an example. Remember seeing Harrison Ford again in "The Force Awakens"? A lot of people were excited. I thought we'd see some character progression myself. "I wonder what he's up to now?" we all asked ourselves, eagerly anticipating the movie's release. Well, turns out he's still a smuggler. He's just a lot older now. And looking a lot more tired. And god, that was depressing as shit. Aren't you supposed to learn when you get older? Aren't you supposed to change and get better? Or at least get wiser?

Well, you definitely grew up, Jihad. We all did. And for better or worse, Ringo did too.