Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.09.16, 08:14 PM   #51
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

The moment Izawa plays keyboard with one leg up, one arm under, thrusting his crotch at the keys, everyone will stop calling Izawa uninterested and start calling him a weak ripoff of HZM.

the dude just can't win (in this forum...with some people) just because he's seen as the replacement guy.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.09.16 at 08:23 PM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 12:09 AM   #52
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Well, I don't think so, I like him more than HZM. But I would want him to play HZM style either^^

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 06:28 AM   #53
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
The moment Izawa plays keyboard with one leg up, one arm under, thrusting his crotch at the keys, everyone will stop calling Izawa uninterested and start calling him a weak ripoff of HZM.

the dude just can't win (in this forum...with some people) just because he's seen as the replacement guy.
Yeah, this is a good point. I think people would be more happy with the band if they did not see the new members as just replacements of the previous members.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 07:25 AM   #54
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Yeah, this is a good point. I think people would be more happy with the band if they did not see the new members as just replacements of the previous members.
That just means if someone is a newer fan, they merely have a different bias.
Would you gulp down most energy drinks if you knew they contained a synthetic duplicate of a chemical found in a bull's ballsack? They don't call the first heavily marketed one "Red Bull" for nothing. If you judge art by how it was made, more than the final result, you're biassed. If you judge art for face value, you're biassed.

And you run around, sparking countless discussion under the motivations of "Oh nos! Someone else is obviously biassed!". Guess what? If the feeling wasn't mutual between you and Jihad, you both wouldn't have postcounts numbering in the thousands.
Old 2007.09.17, 06:47 PM   #55
HEDOfloe

^ You are totally right but I feel that if people would get over this particular bias they would enjoy ADULT->forward much more. Of course, I say this because I am already biased towards ADULT, etc., but I think that the people who are on the fence or somewhat like ADULT and the new music would like it more if they didn't have the fact that Uki composed the songs at the forefront of their thoughts. Same goes for Izawa; I think it is a bad thing if the fact that you liked HZM gets in the way of enjoying anything after him. Now, if you completely dislike the music regardless of the members, that is a different story altogether.

I may not have been a fan since before ADULT, but I was introduced to the band with Kyouiku and heard it a substantial amount of times before I dared go into ADULT and two new members so I also dealt with the fact that HZM and Hirama were gone. Mainly HZM because I LOVE the piano and I thought it was amazing how they incorporated it into rock music. BUT, when I heard ADULT I didn't keep thinking that HZM was gone so I was able to enjoy it as much as I did/do. I'm not saying you in particular do not enjoy, but just in general I think people would do better to enjoy the music as-is and not think of the members they used to have.

I remember Jihad once said something along the lines of you have to listen to it in context of what came before it because he is a historian or something but I don't think that should affect how you enjoy an album or what you think of it. Same goes for the band members, in my humble opinion.

EDIT: I am not trying to say that my point of view is better than anyone else's or that I am unbiased, but I think people place an unnecessary barrier on themselves and limit themselves from things for foolish reasons. I've done this myself many times, especially with music, but I have gotten over it and opened myself up to different things. I am not saying any of you are close-minded or anything, but I do feel that there would be a greater appreciation for ADULT amongst older fans if they would stop seeing the new members as ShadyNook eloquently put it, "replacement guy[s]".

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.17 at 06:50 PM.
Old 2007.09.17, 07:15 PM   #56
Migoto

Migoto is headed in the right direction

I was pretty disappointed when I saw who the "replacements" where. Specially after watching TJ playing Shuraba on Music Station. Ukigumo was... ok, but Izawa looked like a goof. I started to like him more after he stopped trying to look cool (and after listening to Appa, too). Now I'd rather have him than HZM in the band. HZM is a lot more entertaining to watch, but Izawa seems to have more to add to the band.
As for Hirama/Ukigumo, if Hirama had to leave TJ to produce his own albums, then I'm happy he did.
Migoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 07:45 PM   #57
HEDOfloe

!!! That is exactly how I felt about Izawa when I saw that same performance. I had not watched HZM perform prior to seeing that, but just the change in music and how he was performing threw me off a bit at first.
Old 2007.09.17, 09:10 PM   #58
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

With the new album, I am ready to be dumbfounded when I find I like a song or two or three or four by a musician who isn't a favorite. For me, that's Ukigumo. But whats funny is that I prefer to listen to OSCA, BBQUeen, and Karada much more than music by musicians with alot of personality like hide, or Hyde, or ick...TM Revolution.

I have bias against Cloudy, but the bias isn't unshakable. I am very open to letting go of the bias and just need more convincing.

I think the Adult album wasn't the best way to introduce Ukigumo and Izawa to the fans, especially Ukigumo.

I thought it gave the impression that they were too soft and faceless as musicians due to the stifling album concept of making "grown up" music. Shuraba was underwhelming when it came to showcasing their talents.

Variety is a proper way to introduce the new guys. But I don't want to know who wrote what until after I listen to it several times.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.02, 10:44 AM   #59
zoso

zoso pleased at least somebody

hello, i'm new in this forum, and also a recent fan (from a year i think), but i love tj and i think they are the pinnacle of music right now!!!

well, im a pianist, and i think that hzm has a really virtuosism, and of course, in live perfonmances, he shows a very carismatic image with a lot of funny moves and shows his dinamical way of playing that there's no doubt about his skills are from a virtuous player, maybe because his school is classical
but i'd rather isawa, in live versions he can play anything that hzm used to play when he was in tj, so (at least in tj both mirrows the same musical level (even when isn't that way)), isawa fits so far better because he has a jazz school, so he cath the escence of tj; and i in the song you can note that isawa has a more trained hearb because when he improvises he uses modals, scales and all that jazz school had left in him, and sometimes i can apreciate that he doesn't uses that, he just let his feelin' to play, so he play just by hear, and that's something that i couldn't listen in hzm, hzm probably can make solos faster and with more difficult techniques but isawa's solos listen much better because he can involve and feel more the music, and none school can give you that!!!
maybe with time isawa can become a better pianist, i don't know how much time he has been playin' piano (contrasted with hzm who play since he was 4 years old)
isawa fits so cool in tj and i'm happy that je joined the band!!!
variety album is so different (and also my favorite one) that any other before and i'm so happy that shénna let the other members of the band make the music, i think is their darkest album cause the chords and tones are so shady in some songs (i love the minor and dimishished concepts that they use a lot), ok, to finish i also think that isawa is a better songwritter than hzm
Old 2018.11.18, 04:55 PM   #60
Fauxie

Fauxie is headed in the right direction

These old threads are a trip. Slightly off topic (though inevitably it got touched upon here, too), while Ukigumo is dull, and Hirama far more dissonant, the latter was also a tad shit.
Fauxie is offline   Reply With Quote