Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.02.26, 10:12 PM   #21
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by zarya View Post
Ouache.
Just... ouache.
Scott Murphy's Kabukichou >>>> this.
no way, she wins by the mere fact that she isn't singing horribly translated lyrics that butcher the original content. I mean how can a man, a white man singing translated lyrics, really sing about becoming queen of the whores in the red light district of shinjuku? he's better off putting on ripped stockings and lipstick because then at least he could fit into the emo/goth scene.

this chick wins by a hair, not much but still.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.27, 01:09 AM   #22
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I mean how can a man, a white man singing translated lyrics, really sing about becoming queen of the whores in the red light district of shinjuku?
Yeaaaaah... It's not like Ringo herself hasn't sing in a male perspective before (see Momen no Handkerchief).
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.27, 01:46 AM   #23
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Why are we comparing two pieces of hot turd?

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.27, 02:21 AM   #24
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Yeaaaaah... It's not like Ringo herself hasn't sing in a male perspective before (see Momen no Handkerchief).
thats because ringo has a dick, shaaa (something scott murphy is clearly also lacking, besides talent)

and yes, I'm sexist because while I have no problem with a women such as ringo playing a man in that song, the idea of a dipshit jerkoff like scott murphy singing about female prostitution is a bit offputting. it is like female ricerights. let the men who enslaved women sing about about it for kicks, yay! go repressed women in japan, woo hoo!
Old 2009.02.27, 02:37 AM   #25
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
Why are we comparing two pieces of hot turd?
Not very hot tho.

Wait, ewwwwwwww. Hot turd is so wrong. It's like hot soup, or hot meal, only with more shit.

So anyway, this cover sucks.
/Thread
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.27, 07:59 PM   #26
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
no way, she wins by the mere fact that she isn't singing horribly translated lyrics that butcher the original content. I mean how can a man, a white man singing translated lyrics, really sing about becoming queen of the whores in the red light district of shinjuku? he's better off putting on ripped stockings and lipstick because then at least he could fit into the emo/goth scene.

this chick wins by a hair, not much but still.
My reaction was pure gut. I can stand Murphy's song, but not that Gips. It sounds so... hollow?
I guess it's because Murphy's version is weirdly translated, and in a different genre, so it became a separate entity and I can't compare it to the original. So I guess it lost its yucky power this way, in my eyes...
But the Gips I can only hear Ringo's in my head, and I can't stand it!!
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.06, 03:14 PM   #27
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
it just confirms my opinion that Gibs is just Shiina Ringo's spin on a typical J-Pop ballad. Strip away Shiina Ringo and you have a J-Pop ballad (J-Pop ballads, in general, don't offend my ears, I just find them boring)
Stuff like this makes me wonder why so many fans are insistent on putting her into a "J-rock" category (like she is on Jpopmusic.com forums). She's located under the "J-pop" category in Japanese music stores, so... ???
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.06, 03:30 PM   #28
kuro_neko

ringo should not go under "jpop" not because she doesn't write pop music (which she does) but because of what that implies. Ringo unfortunately falls into the cracks between categories. You could call Bjork's music pop, but then you could call Britney's pop too. Do you want Britney and Bjork next to each other? Ringo is the same. Her work has too many rock and even harder influences to go in the pop, not to mention the blatant themes and motifs in her work. Even if you have a song like gibbs, which could lyrically and even sonically be a typical pop song, the majority of her work that sounds overtly pop has lyrics that are too controversial or on the edge to fit in that category. When Ringo was composing her most mainstream-recognized music (MM and SS) it was arguably the most pop, but it was also the period in her life when people called her a freak and said horrible things about her. So she is better left in the jrock category where people can stand to listen to music that doesn't always make you want to dance.
Old 2009.03.07, 03:40 AM   #29
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

this problem always happens with genre defying female artists like Ringo and Bjork... Tori Amos too. Maybe someone should start a genre called "the public thinks we're crazy ladies".
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.01, 10:05 AM   #30
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I uploaded the full song to youtube if anyone is interested. It's slightly better than the preview.

marie digby- gibusu
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote