Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.03.03, 10:42 AM   #301
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't know if it's just me, but Season Sayonara sounds like it's slightly muffled compared to the rest of the tracks. Has anyone else noticed this?
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.03, 02:08 PM   #302
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but Season Sayonara sounds like it's slightly muffled compared to the rest of the tracks. Has anyone else noticed this?
hmm haven't noticed this. production wise my only beef with the album is the layered vocals on Zettai Zetsumei. It screwed up Superstar and it doesn't float my boat here either, when she comes in a few minutes in with her regular strong voice it gets a whole lot better. Ringo x thin feathery voice = crap.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.03, 02:32 PM   #303
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
hmm haven't noticed this. production wise my only beef with the album is the layered vocals on Zettai Zetsumei. It screwed up Superstar and it doesn't float my boat here either, when she comes in a few minutes in with her regular strong voice it gets a whole lot better. Ringo x thin feathery voice = crap.
Wow. You just criticised my favourite aspect of the most appealing song on the album... One of SR's strengths as a vocalist is that she mixes it up a bit, and the higher register (and especially the bouncy timing of her own backing vocals) help make that the most original sounding tune on Sports.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.03, 02:56 PM   #304
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I'm definitely with so_cold on this one. The fact that she sings Zettai Zetsumei in her high vocal register makes it much more enjoyable for me. Of all the songs on the album, this is the one that has grown on me the most. I'm actually worried that if this is performed live, she'll sing the beginning of the song in her regular singing voice. It just won't be the same. With Hatsukoi Shoujo, because of the layering of the vocals and the studio effects, she was able to get away with playing a recording of most of the song. Otherwise she probably would have sung it regularly. She wouldn't be able to just play a recording of Zettai Zetsumei live so it's likely she'll sing it in a lower octave. Which I don't want.
Old 2010.03.03, 03:59 PM   #305
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The contrast between Ringo's cute voice and her normal singing voice is one of the things that makes this song. I find myself being carried along by the funkiness of the song and her lighter vocals add to the 'flow', if you know what I mean.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.03, 04:44 PM   #306
kuro_neko

ringo has a very strong voice and I think when she sings in head voice it takes away from that aspect. it becomes to thin and too airy, she has such rich tones to her voice, and singing light and feathery like that takes a bit away. some of my favorite tracks by her have that deep and velvety richness to them. Most recently, Bonsai Hada comes to mind.

also, I'm not entire convinced it is in fact her using her upper register in Zettai Zetsumei, it could simply be her singing quietly with a layered effect for depth. still, the track is actually tied with Denpa Tsuushin for being my favorite on the album, and I'm getting the impression it is going to stand the test of time better than Denpa Tsuushin. The structure of the song, however, and the pacing, is quite genius.

ringo doesn't use her head voice all that often, so I get the appeal, but I actually really like it when she pushes her lower register up where its almost unbearable to most people, such as in Killer Tune, and then most of her trademark work, like Tsumi to Batsu, is notable precisely because of how high she is pushing the limits of her lower register without dipping into head voice. More recently, you have parts of Tsuugou no Ii Karada, which were lauded for being too theatrical, and then Irokoizata, which is probably the closest recent track to Zettai Zetsumei in terms of production on her voice (at least the part I'm criticizing), but the general effect really works for me in Irokoizata, whereas Zettai Zetsumei, I think the actual song is so strong that I want her voice to be in full effect the entire length.
Old 2010.03.03, 06:19 PM   #307
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

irokoizata, really? I'd say zero chiten kara

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.03, 07:05 PM   #308
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
irokoizata, really? I'd say zero chiten kara
yeah, that one is pretty similar too now that you mention it, although since I generally dislike that song it isn't as fresh in my memory as something that I listen to quite often, such as irokoizata (although I admit this is mostly because togatta teguchi is the highest played track off SG and the ending rap and intro into the start of irokoizata is so good I just usually let it play ahead).
Old 2010.03.03, 07:56 PM   #309
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

A whole room of people who don't know SR or TJ reacted to "Ikiru" when I played it in a way that they never have with other songs by them. They LOVED it. Interesting.
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.03, 08:19 PM   #310
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
are you working for a leak or did you buy the cd? I can't speak for the leak but on my rip from the cd it sounds level with the rest of the other tracks.