Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.12.19, 05:39 AM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default The long overdue Seiko Oomori thread

Ok, because Seiko Oomori is a very heavily talked about individual here on EMF, I decided that it really was time to create a thread for her.

Anyway, my final verdict/score on Zettai Shoujo:

8.5/10.

While I don't think its as well crafted/has quite the same flow as Mahou, it still has a lot of great parts. It also has it fair share of JAW DROPPING moments too. I've described it to a few people already but I think the best way to put it:

An album that holds your hands for the first few tracks, giving you a false sense of comfort and security, only to suddenly dump your ass right in the shark infested deep end. This album knows when to bite. And damn, does it bite hard when it wants to.

Initial spins will leave you dizzy. Perhaps even reeling. But you will come back for more. Like Mahou, it's gonna take more than one go to fully appreciate. And like Mahou, the more time you put in, the more it gives back.

Track highlights: The new "NOISE" version of Over the Party, the Beatles tinged "少女3号", the truly gorgeous and genuinely gentle "Hayatochiri" and the absolutely intense "展覧会の絵", with its amazing Sax solo that would easily fit on a Otome Yoshihide record. The first two tracks are gonna be the most popular with the pop fans, and with good reason, but I think the ones that will last the longest are everything else.

So, get listening, I wanna hear your opinions (after a few spins).

Oh and in other Oomori news:

Yesterday the tribute album to the band Carnation was released, featuring Oomori's cover of their song End of Summer. I haven't heard the song in full yet but the previews sound gorgeous!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.12.19 at 05:44 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.21, 09:51 PM   #2
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

I feel bad because all signs tell me I should really like her, but I find her literally just OK at this point. A lot of her songs on the first album sounded the same to me, and I felt the same with this new album, unfortunately.

Regardless, there are a few songs I like, but I'm stillll not fully on the Seiko Oomori train.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.21, 10:15 PM   #3
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

二階堂和美 - Lovers Rock
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.22, 03:06 PM   #4
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

My initial impressions after a couple listens are that I like this more than Mahou Ga...Her voice is much improved and shows more control, which I wanted. I did like some of the wilder vocal moments from Mahou, though.

Mahou starts off to a rocky start with "Kitty's Blues" IMO. It's not a good album starter and almost turned me off from her completely (I do like the song now). This album starts off much better with two catchy electronic tracks.

Mahou has a lull towards the end after "最終公演" because it's followed by three lengthy tracks - two acoustic driven and one piano. It's tough to keep a long acoustic track interesting. "I Love You" is a stand-out, though. However, it's hard for me to sit through after the emotional roller-coaster of "最終公演".
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.22, 04:43 PM   #5
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ I'm kinda the same, I didn't really like the slower songs until a while after I'd started listening to Mahou, now I think the 'lull' part of the album is the best part. Seiko + Acoustic Guitar is what I love the most. KITTY'S BLUES however, I had no problem with, I love that piano melody in there, it' gorgeous.

As for her voice... well Mahou wins for me there. While she may have improved from a conventional standpoint on Zettai, it also isn't as unrestrained as on Mahou or PINK either (give or take a few parts where she lets it loose- which are very effective). Though, that said, she still has a better set of lungs than any other new female artist in Japan at the moment. I'm keen to see some live footage from the Zettai Shoujo tour- and I'm sure we will get some form of DVD or CD/CD-R from it too.

With the new album, I think the two weakest tracks are the first two songs. I like them but I also know what comes later in the album totally eclipses them with sheer creativity and power :-p I still can't decide whether choosing these two power-pop songs as lead-in singles was an ingenious move or a bad move.... will newbies be turned off that only the first two songs sound like that? Or will it attract more people than her style of music normally would? Time will tell. Seems most people that have heard it are enjoying it anyway, I haven't seen any real criticisms towards the album itself (Though I have seen criticism toward Oomori herself from people that just can't get into her whatsoever, which is fair enough) so far- infact, my 8.5 is the lowest score I've seen someone give it :-p.

Oh, and by the way, The End Of Summer is an amazing track, that would have been great on Zettai Shoujo. It wouldn't surprise me if it's from the same sessions.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.12.22 at 04:59 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.22, 05:42 PM   #6
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Kitty's Blues is brilliant.

(I will write about the new album, just deliberating.)
Old 2013.12.22, 11:15 PM   #7
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

I'm listening to the new album now, I'm not even half way through yet, but I'm already extremely impressed. So far it feels like a natural progression from her last album, with a little bit more produced sound, more than just acoustic guitar, but still really organic and natural with her vocals and melody.
Old 2013.12.23, 01:37 PM   #8
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I never meant to give off an impression that I think Kitty's Blues is a bad song. I like it very much, but I didn't think it was a great way to start the album.

I sent my friend Mahou because I thought she would love it based on the fact that she's into Shiina, but the first thing she said to me was that she hated Kitty's Blues. She enjoyed the rest of the tracks after it, though.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.23, 02:20 PM   #9
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

Kitty Blues? more like kiddie blues amirite? i was turned off b/c it sounded like she was singing it like a five year old

i hear no difference between her and this kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUvdgutycgo

love the Over the Party live version of kitty blues tho
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.23, 02:50 PM   #10
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

after almost a month of playing it almost everyday now,i will attempt to rank my favorite songs off the Mahou Ga Tsukaenai Nara album

1. track 14 魔法が使えないなら - them chords struck me like lighting and into to ashes,her singing then turns those ashes into butterflies floating in the air and the butterflies turned into a firebreathing dragon destroying planets

2. track 5 あたし天使の堪忍袋 - ohhhh oohhh ohhh, i know everyone who listened love to sing along, geetarrr!!!!!!!

3. track 12 高円寺 - the climax, tsumi no batsu type ambitious but not the same style of music

4. track 2 音楽を捨てよ、そして音楽へ - greatest rap song since Souls of Mischeif - 93 til infinity maybe, the Lai Lai version is just as dope

5. track 6 夏果て - shes singing to me

6. track 9 最終公演 - powerfull

7. track 13 - 最終公演 - so short and amazing

8. track 10 i love you - i love you too

9. track 3 新宿 - built to hype it up live, gets me amped
love every live version of this too

10. track 4 ハンドメイドホーム - sounds like some deliverance banjo playing country feel i dont normally like but was miracle that it grew on me, i fux wit this heavy now

11. track 11 歌謡曲 - would have ranked it higher but some parts of the song where she purposely sings kinda off key didnt fully work for me
but still all around amazing song

12 track 8 背中のジッパー - i feel so bad putting this song here, the singing style on this is her signature the way she emphasizes the last word of the bar

13 Kitty Blues - why was u the first track!!? almost turned me off ,
great song but im not feeling the way she singing on this,
love the live version tho, she doesnt sound like a five year old on the live version

14 track 7 鮪漁船のうた only song i skip regular, sounds too opera-ish

Last edited by hoopra : 2013.12.23 at 02:53 PM.
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote