Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.10.22, 01:35 PM   #1501
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
those games have the large decision trees and deep customization systems of an "open-ended" game while having the claustrophobic movement interfaces and area maps of a linear game. They're very...weird games.
That's how I would sum up the broader Shin Megami Tensei franchise (of which the Persona games are an off-shoot) in general.
Old 2011.10.22, 01:56 PM   #1502
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I only have Torchlight (which I worship),
I love Torchlight too. It was something to keep me sane when they announced Diablo 3.

Anyone here buying diablo 3 or bf3? I would very much like to but I am afraid I will get too distracted from study and violin practice.

I wish Diablo 3 wasn't suited for the modern fanboys though. The armor looks too unrealistc. I loved D2 armor because only uniques looked fabulous while normal items are so-so looking. The random weapon/ armor colorations too LOL.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 02:49 PM   #1503
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I don't play WoW, but I like WoW's art design. And I think Torchlight has a very WoW-esque art design.

Diablo 3 looks cool, but it doesn't look like a Diablo game to me. It looks more like an Eberron campaign game (sort of like Dragon Age).

EDIT: But yeah, I will def. buy Diablo, even though I hate the internet requirement.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 02:58 PM   #1504
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
That's how I would sum up the broader Shin Megami Tensei franchise (of which the Persona games are an off-shoot) in general.
I played Strange Journey (I guess people are considering it Shin Megami Tensei 4?) and it was quite weird. It was also the first SMT game I ever played... Well, actually, I tried Devil Survivor and found it intensely boring, which is weird because I usually love turn-based strategy games.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 05:03 PM   #1505
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by sylfi View Post
Well, actually, I tried Devil Survivor and found it intensely boring, which is weird because I usually love turn-based strategy games.
That makes sense...I could see an RPG fan saying the same thing, seeing as how they split the gameplay exactly halfway between TBS and RPG and developed each one half-heartedly as a result.

I just loved everything to do with the demons: the art, the auctioning system, and especially the fusion system. I love Pokemon, but have never liked how much time and effort breeding takes and how un-fun it ends up being (move chains are fun to draw out on paper but end up taking hours) -- DS's fusion system is what Pokemon breeding should be.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 05:11 PM   #1506
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Persona 4 is open-ended to me. It's the type of game I need to play with a strategy guide, because I'm like "How should I respond to this question? Where should I go for my free time? What should I do for my social link? Which Persona should I use?". Which is not to say that it is bad, but it's just a game I need to play with a strategy guide. If I feel like too many options will make me miss out on the game, I tend to panic. Thus, why I am also terrible at games like Fallout.
Aight, I thought we were talking about exploration, but I can see that being a little overwhelming for a newcomer to the series.

However, that's the wrong attitude because it's impossible to see everything on the first time through the game anyway. Deciding on your Demons/Persona can pretty simple. For the most part, you want to use whatever demon you can fuse the most elemental attacks to so you can exploit the weaknesses. Then for the bosses, use whatever blocks its strongest attacks.

For P4, always use Chie. Even though she sucks for the middle of the game, always use her. Always.

And remember, losing 2-3 hours because you get smashed in a random battle is a staple of any SMT game.

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
I've only played two Megami Tensei games (Devil Survivor and Innocent Sin, but not Eternal Punishment yet), so I don't know if Persona 4 is anything like them, but it struck me that both of those games have the large decision trees and deep customization systems of an "open-ended" game while having the claustrophobic movement interfaces and area maps of a linear game. They're very...weird games.

Would either of you recommend Persona 3 or 4? I've read that fans of Persona 1-2 hate the other two and vice versa.
I don't know, guys. The Persona system in the first two games doesn't seem any deeper or more customizable than your typical Final Fantasy game. You don't even get to transfer skills or do fusions in Innocent Sin or Eternal Punishment. Yes, there are a lot of Demons/Personas, but only a handful are worth using. It is a lot more open in P3/4 since you can transfer skills like a typical SMT game. On the other hand, you lose the ability to equip Personas on your other party members.

I like all of the Persona games except for the first one. Persona 4 is my favorite in the series, but it's the odd-ball since it's tone is way more upbeat than the other games. As a game, Persona 4 is far superior to P3. It improved on every single thing P3 did. Story-wise, P3 is more of a typical SMT affair with its "Memento Mori" and suicide themes.

I also started with the first Persona game on PSX so it's not because I played 3 or 4 first. They're just better games. P2 is way too easy even on hard.
Old 2011.10.22, 05:31 PM   #1507
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I have played P3 FES and P4 on PS2, Persona 1 and 3 on PSP and just now starting P2 on PSP.

The only one I didn't bother with was P1 also. P3 was pretty cool but I think all those kind of storylines only really appeal to angsty teenage kids and belong solely in anime.

P4 was waaaaay more interesting. I'd recommend that to anyone too. It's edging on boring at times, I don't really care for the waffle in between dungeons, but it's acceptable. I cringe every time someone says san (the game having and English voice cast) and all the other unecessary Japanese culture stuff that I'm sure the target audience already know. Overall though, I didn't roll my eyes that many times, and it's core battle system/persona fusing etc is very rewarding.

But yeah, overall P4 is the best one IMO too, you may disappointed if you go from that to P1. The soundtrack on P4 and P3 is pretty decent but goddamn repetitive. As far as JRPGs go, you could do a LOT worse.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.10.22 at 05:43 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 05:45 PM   #1508
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Then I'll have to get myself Persona 4.

Speaking of Atlus RPGs, I'd recommend Radiant Historia to anyone with a DS.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 08:40 PM   #1509
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Be prepared for Persona 4. It's a good 70-80 hour game and it takes a couple of hours before the game really starts.
Old 2011.10.23, 06:57 AM   #1510
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Much love for Atlus and Nippon Ichi.
Anyone else a fan of the Trauma Center series? It's okay if I'm the only one.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote