Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.05.08, 10:52 PM   #171
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Las Palmas
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.09, 07:43 AM   #172
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Does anyone else appreciate Troma movies here? And if so, what is your favourite movie under their label?

I like Terror Firmer, because I like tits and cars landing on fat naked guys heads.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.09, 08:19 PM   #173
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I like Troma itself more than any particular movie. For me, the most entertaining thing about Troma is their making-of documentaries and the persona of Lloyd Kaufman.

But Poultrygeist is pretty damn awesome. Such an angry, sad movie about corporate culture.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.09, 08:36 PM   #174
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
But Poultrygeist is pretty damn awesome. Such an angry, sad movie about corporate culture.
That... and it has a talking gay mexican burger on it.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.27, 04:47 AM   #175
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I decided to kill a bit of time by typing this out.

Things I've "learned" about Japan after watching over a thousand Japanese movies:

--The roof = privacy. It's a place where people go to get away from other people. Or....since location shooting is insanely difficult in Japan, it's a way to get characters out of those cramped interior sets without needing location clearances from local businesses and the cops.

--The ocean = death. So few scenes are set on a beach, and when scenes are set on the beach, someone usually dies. Japan is an island---why don't more people go to the beach?

--Married couples don't have sex. Notice that you hardly ever see sex scenes or even bedroom conversations between husbands and wives? When they talk to each other, it's in the dining room. The only time men and women have sex and talk to each other in bed is when they are having an illicit affair. Seriously, WHY DON'T WE SEE MARRIED COUPLES SLEEPING OR TALKING IN THE SAME BED?

--All animals are cute. No exceptions.

--Every other week, there is a festival of some kind that everyone participates in, and nothing else matters in life when these things happen. And they happen a lot.

--Young and attractive actresses have three basic modes of communication: the self-conscious awkward glance (meaning "I am too beautiful not to be aware of how much I'm being looked at, but I will try to be modest about it"), the whine, and the giggle. And silence. Okay, four.

--Young and attractive actors have three basic modes of communication: the sideways glance (meaning "I am too cool to look at anything directly"), silent heartache, and exasperation.

--Any teenage or midlife crisis can be solved by joining a group of fledgling misfits engaged in some sort of organized, competitive activity: jazz band, sumo wrestling, synchronized swimming, etc. Everything climaxes in a big competition that the group ends up losing but that doesn't matter because winning is not the actual purpose of the activity.

--Nobody goes to the bathroom. Ever. Except to take a shower (which is usually not in the same room as the toilet), or die horribly.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.27, 05:13 AM   #176
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

vilain papa
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.27, 08:52 AM   #177
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Watched recently for the first time:
- Spider-Man 3
- Empire Records
- 1995 Pride & Prejudice BBC miniseries (SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!)
- Unstoppable
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.27, 09:05 AM   #178
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Watched recently for the first time:
- Spider-Man 3
I'm sorry, frecklegirl.

I saw Thor and it was aight. Although I am a bit of a comic junkie, I'm not overly familiar with Marvel's take on Thor. I couldn't point out the horrid changes to characters like I could in X-Men if there are any in Thor. The scenes used to setup the Avengers movie coming out were pretty bad, but the rest was enjoyable.
Old 2011.05.27, 01:36 PM   #179
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I saw Thor. I didn't like it. I wish I did, because I want Kenneth Branagh to be successful nowww.

And the '95 Pride and Prejudice is good but not my favorite. The costumes look odd and the acting isn't my favorite. It's a lot truer to the book, but I do prefer the '05 movie.

On a related note, the person who plays Lydia in it is in "Lark Rise to Candleford" the TV show I've been all over recently. It's not that good but it makes me happy. I'm sad Ben Miles isn't in it anymore. He's Patrick in Coupling, and anyone from that has a special place in my 13 year old heart.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.27, 01:56 PM   #180
Andikki

Andikki is an asset to this community

I'll go watch the '05 movie just to have the right to say: "you are wrong, mizer_unmei".
Andikki is offline   Reply With Quote