Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.07.08, 12:06 PM   #191
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

"If the earth is even that old" ???

You've got to be kidding. Please tell me you're kidding. Please. I respect your beliefs but do they have to fly in the face of reality?

Straight from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair

Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, and 1 Chronicles 16:30 state that "the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved." Psalm 104:5 says, "the Lord set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved." Ecclesiastes 1:5 states that "the sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises."
So is Copernicus wrong too?

Edit:
I know you're just kidding, right?

Last edited by newyorkjihen : 2007.07.08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 2007.07.08, 06:42 PM   #192
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by newyorkjihen View Post
"If the earth is even that old" ???

You've got to be kidding. Please tell me you're kidding. Please. I respect your beliefs but do they have to fly in the face of reality?

Straight from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair

So is Copernicus wrong too?

Edit:
I know you're just kidding, right?
Nah, I'm not kidding..

I don't remember much about what I watch, but I've seen videos (by Christian scientists, obviously) which discuss the theory of evolution, the age of the earth, etc. They provide factual information that supports the idea of a younger earth and the occurrence of a great flood. I didn't believe everything I saw (mainly stuff dealing with other topics), because the main scientist admitted that some of it was just his and other scientists' own theories, but a large amount of what was discussed leaves no doubt in my mind that the earth isn't as old as lots of scientists say. Actually, according to the video, even some non-Christian scientists are beginning to feel that the earth isn't quite so old.

One thing that comes to mind from the video is their discussion of carbon dating, and how scientists dated two different part of a mammoth's body, finding the ages of the two spots to be several millions of years apart. Information that contradicts itself is apparently habitually discarded. I'd love to discuss this more, but keep in mind that I myself don't remember everything that I've seen and read.
Old 2007.07.08, 07:03 PM   #193
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Carbon dating may not be perfect, but it gives a pretty good approximation. A few million years is nothing in Earth terms. Based on multitudes of data collected from some of the oldest rocks on Earth, and other old rocks from Meteors in our solar system (which will be around the same age as the planet) a pretty sound estimate that the Earth is 4.55 billion years old can, and has been made.
Old 2007.07.08, 07:44 PM   #194
fluffiethesock

However, when scientists say that mammoths aren't even an old species, millions of years does make a huge difference. Especially when the lower estimate of the age was in the thousands... :-|

But carbon dating wasn't the only thing they talked about, anyways.
Old 2007.07.08, 07:57 PM   #195
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I haven't really looked into the carbon dating process of a mammoth, nor much else about Mammoth's Earth life-span . I haven't read any theory about a 'young Earth' neither. Do you have any links?
Old 2007.07.08, 08:04 PM   #196
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Lets watch ourselves now, don't wanna be dipping back into religion again...
Old 2007.07.08, 08:07 PM   #197
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

yeah...religious debate should be banned, honestly. Good cannot come out of it.

Hirama does not count as religion tho! Let us go in peace!
Old 2007.07.08, 08:08 PM   #198
fluffiethesock

Unless I create a "Whatever the Devil You Want to Talk About" thread, and those who don't want to enter can stand safely in the distance. :-B

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
yeah...religious debate should be banned, honestly. Good cannot come out of it.
No worries, Whispermon and I aren't arguing or anything. I never seem to understand why people are so anti-religious talk. I assume it's because most people who discuss it get angry when someone doesn't agree with them? :-o?
Old 2007.07.08, 08:21 PM   #199
Inaudible-Whisper

I quite like these discussions. I don't think it was getting too religious. I mean, obviously if you're going to have a discussion about the creation of our solar system, you're going to end up with some religious talk. As long as it's all relevant and respectful it's ok. I'm agnostic, and I'd personally choose science over faith, but I wouldn't let science decide my faith... if that makes any sense...
Old 2007.07.08, 08:28 PM   #200
fluffiethesock

We can move the discussion to the new thread I just made. All are welcome to chip in as long as you keep it pleasant. :p

On topic: I'm watching various parts of JCHI
Closed Thread