Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.03.28, 05:26 AM   #41
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Yeah, you can't really believe the opinions of spurned fans and tabloids, so I can't really disagree with that...

She DID roll her eyes at her co-star though! =P =P
I saw that tiny eye roll as a quiet connection. Recognizing how tough it is to realize some "clever" writer's idea that is totally ridiculous. Empathy.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.29, 08:58 AM   #42
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
I saw that tiny eye roll as a quiet connection. Recognizing how tough it is to realize some "clever" writer's idea that is totally ridiculous. Empathy.
that would make one of you, haha. I saw that clip first on The Soup and if you watch the entire piece, America is lovely and chatty when they are talking about the movie, but as soon as it veers into Gossip Girl she starts analyzing her finger nails, and flipping her hair, and turning her head around, and eventually rolling her eyes at a stupid remark by her costar. She has talked in the past about how important she feels shows like Ugly Betty are, presenting empowered strong women and representing modern race and culture, and then how trivial shows like Gossip Girls are in those same regards. I think she is generally against the whole demeaning aspect of shows like that, with all the cheap gossip and cat fights. Ugly Betty gets into that, as a comedy, it is a glorified soap opera after all but, but behind that is a message and a heart of gold, where Gossip Girl is simply cheap gossip.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.03, 09:23 AM   #43
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Ugly Betty!

spoilers:
I am a little annoyed at how they're handling the whole Justin dating a guy thing. So basically, it seems like for years Justin has refused to face his sexuality. He acts stereotypically gay, but he's denied being gay on one occasion and when he went through that rebellious phase he had a girlfriend or something, and then just now he had a crush on a girl (or so he thought? I don't know!). And then ALL OF A SUDDEN he kisses one guy, evidently it's great (because of the whole 'everything else goes gray' thing that happened), and now they are dating. But we get NO insight into how Justin made this crazy transition from "No I'm not gay [I don't want to be different]" to "Okay I'm dating a guy." What?!?! WHAT???????????? This is driving me crazy!

And for the record, in the same vein, I'm also annoyed with how quickly the miscarriage was brushed under the rug!! A miscarriage, I've heard, is a BIG DEAL for a woman to go through. Yet the next episode Hilda was FINE. What the hell?!?!

Otherwise, loving the show, it is so amazing (if a bit ridiculous as any nighttime drama/soap never fails to devolve into--looking at you, The O.C.) and I'm so sad it's going to be gone soon. Ugly Betty is what I want when I just want some fun mindless entertainment and it never fails to cheer me up. I really don't know what I'm going to do when it's gone--what else can I watch that's so happy and fun?? sigh..........
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.03, 08:51 PM   #44
kuro_neko

@ freckle

the biggest complaints about the earlier seasons were storylines spanning upwards of 7-8 episodes, it turns viewers away, so starting with mid season 3 and most of this season, we find each episode packed with smaller separate stories and 3 episode arcs for major story lines, which has gone over very well with the fan base and the critics. I do think the miscarriage was kind of a red herring and I don't seeing that used as a plot point for drama's sake, but its better to see Hilda spring forward fast and assume she dealt with it privately/off screen than have her depressed for 5 episodes and deal with it that way. at its heart its a family/situational comedy soap, so its not going to tackle serious issues like that s gracefully as we might hope.

with shows in general, I never understand why fans get disgruntled with time lapsed between episodes. Betty does often end on cliff hangers, but it tends to jump time gaps and have a general lapse between episodes, so I didn't perceive it as miscarriage one day, moved on the next, or even with Justin. I think they handled the whole Justin thing pretty well. That being it was slowly worked into the storyline and brought the front in a subtle manner. They could have made him completely out and gay, but as the only closeted gay on a very gay show, I guess they wanted to utilize that to showcase the whole coming out/loving yourself/accepting others etc aspect.
Old 2010.04.04, 12:52 AM   #45
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Thought that way too much was crammed into last Betty episode, but blame it on ABC. Nothing is being allowed to elegantly evolve.
Old 2010.04.04, 04:53 PM   #46
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I just want to know if Justin really did like those girls or if he was just pretending so as not to be "different." =_=

Also, I want Marc to get a bf.
Old 2010.04.04, 09:22 PM   #47
kuro_neko

my betty friend told me he thought I'd like the way the series ended, so based on that, I have some thoughts about what I think will happen in the series finale.

I got around to watching last week's episode and I have to say that I think they are managing to pace the episodes pretty well considering we are two episodes left in the series. I didn't feel the London episode crammed too much into it at all, all the major story lines were continuations of threads started in previous episodes and I think that they are really going to be able to gracefully wrap up the show.

as for how I think it will end end? spoilers to follow:

I think Betty is going to once again choose herself, ala Season 2 finale. She is going to follow a career opportunity, leave Mode, and I think Daniel is going to follow suit. She isn't going to end up with any one guy, but based on what my friend said (he knows I support a Detty ending) and the last episode synopsis/this past week's episode (Gio saying that there was only ever "one man in your life") I think Daniel is going to follow Betty's lead and leave Mode with her, not setting up Betty with Daniel, but suggesting a chance of something more. The synopsis says that Betty has news for Daniel, but she is shocked by his reaction, while Claire is not at all. Also, there have been movie hopes and rumors going around forever, so while this show is officially over, give it time to settle and with the possible continuing success of Sex in the City, especially with the second movie coming out this summer, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if ABC followed suit with an official Betty movie at some point.

on the Supernatural front, man...someone really needs to put a whoopie cushion in the writer's room or something. this season manages to get darker and darker. I know things must get worse before they get better, the dark before the dawn, and we are coming up towards the season finale, but these cliffhanger and soul crushing end sequences are just brutal. episode after episode, they continue to end on really, really low notes. I really hope there is some really uplifting or positive end to it all. this coming from an admitted masochist, too.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.04.04 at 09:35 PM.
Old 2010.04.05, 08:25 PM   #48
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

^Re: UB, still wish there was more depth than width in the last episode, but do acknowledge that an unnaturally harried pace at this point is inevitable. Few unique shows have lasted even this long, so perhaps I should be less critical, but would be so delighted now if it ends with a satisfying finale.
Old 2010.04.07, 07:16 PM   #49
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

First thoughts on penultimate UB.

Way better than last week. Inevitable serial show possibly extreme final scene, but I don't feel worried. I doubt the writers want us to remember the series with anything but fondness.
Old 2010.04.15, 09:08 PM   #50
frecklegirl
apple-princess

Sigh... goodbye, Ugly Betty.

I can't say I'm too upset over anything, and they wrapped it all up as best they could on such short notice. I just wish there was more...