Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2007.05.15, 12:41 PM   #31
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Fuck that noise.

FF8 gets a lotta hate it doesn't deserve, sure. But 9 was shit on right out the gate and no one gave it a chance cuz it didn't have "teh angst" of the others. Instead you got a really good compelling story with chars you actually liked. And the story was easily the deepest of 7-10.
Old 2007.05.15, 01:02 PM   #32
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Jer View Post
FF8 was the underrated one. Triple Triad was win.
QFT.

FFVIII was by far my favorite of the PSX/PS2 Final Fantasy's. Triple Triad is probably the best mini-game ever, hands down. There's an online version of it (browser-based) that's pretty cool, although it doesn't flow as well as the version in the game.

I really didn't like IX...don't know why; something about the style of it turned me off real quick.
Old 2007.05.15, 03:52 PM   #33
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

I played FFIX twice and I could give less a shit about the angst. Although I would rather have angst than kiddy jokes. The only amusing part of FFIX is renaming Amarant to Faggot and watching all the flaming faggot references.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.15, 04:01 PM   #34
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

ah yes, the patented "kiddy" argument so popular in the psx-64-saturn days (and even in the ps2-gc-dc-xbox days.) As a Nintendo fan, I am quite familiar with the word. For some reason it tends to be synonymous with "fun games"
:shrug:
Old 2007.05.15, 04:03 PM   #35
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Talking about FF, how bout some love for the weapons in FFVII? It must've took about 50+ hours alone to acquire every piece of materia you need and set up those knights of the round summon chains just to beat them. Sephiroth was weak as piss compare to those instant death machines.
Old 2007.05.15, 04:33 PM   #36
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
Talking about FF, how bout some love for the weapons in FFVII? It must've took about 50+ hours alone to acquire every piece of materia you need and set up those knights of the round summon chains just to beat them. Sephiroth was weak as piss compare to those instant death machines.

The two strongest weapons were just too much for me.. but I did raise a gold chocobo to get Knights of the Round.

Final Fantasy 9 definitely gave me the most amount of quality fun. FF7 was good for its story and its creepiness, in addition to some of the characters, and FF8 was alright for its.. stuff, but I couldn't stand most of the shallow characters. FF9 had great characters and an exciting story.

I've always been under the impression that most of the people who thought 9 was too immature had never played any of the Final Fantasy games prior to 7, because most of them are much cornier (in a "classic," this-is-what-we-love-about-them kinda way) and not nearly as deep as 9. FF9 is a beautiful game. Unfortunately, words alone cannot sway one's opinion.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.15, 04:48 PM   #37
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Y'know, FFVIII and IX both suck. Neither held my interest for very long.

Edit: And FFVII was only good in Midgar.
Old 2007.05.15, 05:46 PM   #38
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Unfortunately, I did not have a ps (i had a n64) and so I missed ffix. I got a ps two years ago I think, and I played FFIII which my data corrupted when I was at the last boss and so I never saw the ending of it. I did like it, but I liked ffvii better. I did not like that you had to drain all the magic you used, although it was pretty cool, there was not much of an incentive to do it since you could use the summons all you wanted. I need to get a copy off FFIX, a friend told me that it was really good and that it was actually the only "true" final FANTASY because the 7 and 8 are more sci-fi.

As for the kiddy thing, I know what you mean jihad, I am also a nintendo fan so i've had to deal with it enough. FFIX is just not as easily appealing to the mainstream as is FFVII and VIII so I think alot of people turned it down before they even played it because of the new style. They probably just wanted more realistic characters rather then going to a more stylized art style. Can't say anything about the gameplay though, since I havent played it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.15, 06:27 PM   #39
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I played 7 and 9, and I found 7 to be better. Too much compelling music and atmosphere, and a really nice story. I think the next one will be FF6 vor me, maybe I'll buy it for the GBA...

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.15, 07:37 PM   #40
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

If we're talking about "classic" Final Fantasy, I've played and liked IV and V, and I own I&II (GBA), III (DS), and I plan to buy VI Advance someday.

The only Final Fantasy I ever beat was IV, and I loved it. One of my favorite RPGs, hands down. Plus portable = win (in my book).