Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.09.08, 11:55 AM   #51
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

ikiru is ultra C's Dynamite out's Ekimae, where it is way better than the album version
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 12:40 PM   #52
JM Romeo

JM Romeo is headed in the right direction

I may get a bad rap for saying this, but all the starstruck attitude and overall fascination with this Ringo woman feels creepy as fuck to me.

Love the band, love the musicians, absolutely love the music, but yeah, I think you know where I'm going to.

Sorry but I had to say it. One of these days I'm gonna find somebody with a full chest tattoo of I <3 RINGO CHAN or something like that.

Ok, rant ended. Feel free to lay it on me.
JM Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 01:37 PM   #53
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by JM Romeo View Post
I may get a bad rap for saying this, but all the starstruck attitude and overall fascination with this Ringo woman feels creepy as fuck to me.
That's because she's a major tease to any intellectual who'd care to explore all the easter eggs she purposefully leaves around in her track lists, track times, waveforms, sampling within KSK and Ringo Catalogue, PVs, and.. who knows where else. There's so many of them that members of this community have uncovered so far. Some of the easter eggs are so well-hidden, that most of us aren't even confident enough to proclaim we've found them all.

She's also very well-respected for her lyrics, even though we all admit that her compositions are more important. Plus for someone who writes the vast majority of her own solo-career music, it's remarkable how many photoshoots she's done for various magazines (or the same few publications over and over again), and that she managed to beat Ayumi Hamasaki and Koda Kumi in a poll for who Japanese people think looks best in a kimono, even though as sex symbols they rank much higher in other Japanese polls like "Who would you want as a girlfriend?".

Then her international fanbase is at least a fraction as fascinating as Shiina Ringo herself is. Too-large-a-portion us to ignore are either left-handed or gay or migrated out of Germany with some major personality-altering mental condition, and then there's our alternate music interests. Most of us don't even follow the overrated Japanese music you might classify as "typical weeaboo interests". It's not to say we don't follow other Japanese music, but we're much more discriminating about it than the average person you find in "jpop" communities, and to some extent we don't necessarily even approve of all of Shiina Ringo's own music. When it comes to our opinions of the music, the conversation never consists of anything resembling "Ringo-san is the best!!1! <3". We're usually very constructive, whether we're praising or even criticizing the music. We also go insanely off-topic - a lot (as seen in this topic), and nobody gets spanked just for off-topic-ness even though this community has some bare minimum standards and manages to maintain a lot more order than 4chan.

The closest we've come to doing anything which remotely resembles stalking, is speculate on what Shiina Ringo's son's name is, and that hasn't been a very long-winded or neurotic conversation. We don't talk a lot about how good-looking we think she is, and many of us don't even think she is or was the best musician ever, but we admittedly find her to be one of the most interesting artists to talk about - what, with the easter eggs and all.

One of these days I'm gonna find somebody with a full chest tattoo of I <3 RINGO CHAN or something like that.
We practically have someone like that already.
Her username is waxringo. A very significant portion of her backside is covered by one SR/TJ logo or another.
There's also a military guy who showed up with a couple of Tokyo Jihen tattoos, but I think he's been more absent around here than waxringo.
Old 2010.09.08, 01:47 PM   #54
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

Gotta admit, it's unpleasant when someone has the bad taste to explicitly say what they'd like to do with or to Ringo or anybody else. At least on a forum dedicated to music and populated with RL females.
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 03:28 PM   #55
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^ Somebody actually got banned for that, among other things...

I just hope most of the more casual observers understand that this doesn't reflect the maturity of the rest of the members. The whole "boobs" thing with Ultra C, is pretty much the maximum extent of how far our sexual expression goes, and it's not even that we'd remark this sort of thing often, but the camera angles were ridiculous - it's like the producers of the concert actually wanted us to be paying attention specifically to Shiina Ringo's boobs. I'm not saying that would justify any detail from fans about what they would do with those boobs, but you have to admit it's quite a tease.

Shiina Ringo is striving to be the Madonna of the east. First it was the Shun PV. Then it was the Sanmon Gossip cover art. Now this. Well, you could say that first it was her in black lingerie with a whip, singing a Madonna song - but this was so long ago that I wouldn't really connect it with the most recent wave.
Old 2010.09.08, 05:42 PM   #56
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Wait, there are people out there who expect me to take their opinions about Shiina Ringo seriously when they refuse to acknowledge or accept the fact that she's an erotic icon? That her lyrics and performances are suffused with sexuality? That she plays into the fantasies of her audience (who, by the way, are mostly quite aware thank-you-very-much that her persona is a concoction that fascinates us and *that* is what we're talking about, not the real person Shiina Yumiko who has a life that we understand is none of our business and is probably fairly normal)?

There are a lot of ways to describe one's reaction to an erotic image, or to music or lyrics that evoke sexual experience and fantasies, and a lot of those ways are immature and annoying. But let's not say in response that *nobody* should talk about that.

This "debate" reminds me of a "Life in Hell" one-panel from Matt Groening. You see a museum display of a statue of a nude woman. Off to one side you see a guide lecturing to a group of people about the history of the sculpture in long-winded terms, and over on the other side you see Matt Groening's rabbit-boy looking up at the statue and saying "Whoa, mama" or something like that.

Moral of the story is, when it comes to Shiina, there's room for all sorts of reactions, and I don't think we should censor ourselves just because some people (whom I refuse to take seriously if they refuse to acknowledge the bleeding obvious about Shiina's persona) think it's "creepy."

I think people who refuse to acknowledge the sexual in any artform are the creepy ones.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 06:03 PM   #57
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

Shiina is like the Dos Equis commercial.... I don't normally listen to Jpop but when i do i listen to Shiina Ringo, she is the most interesting woman
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 06:59 PM   #58
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

Now, I'm not sure if JM Romeo and I were talking about exactly the same things, or if NIMH Rat is referring to me. But if anyone counts me as someone who "doesn't acknowledge Ringo as an erotic icon", they're incorrect. Nor am I a fan of censorship, except reasonable self-censorship in a community setting. Seemingly escalatory exchanges like this one raise my fear that I haven't exercised mine thoroughly enough.

Ringo is too remote a personality (an image which she also seems to cultivate) for me to regard her as an accessible sex object. I require some illusion of "accessibility" in my sex objects! Others are free to differ. But if I had any Ringo fantasies, I would spare them out of (what I perceive as) consideration for the sensibilities of others. Why, I don't know.

Now, if JM Romeo is talking about "general celebrity fandom" for Shiina Ringo, that's a separate issue which would be (even) harder to take seriously here. I know far more about the personal lives of Western celebrities whose professional output I know or care absolutely nothing substantial about, yet I will involuntarily learn more whenever I watch TV or buy a candy bar.

So if I learn the name of Ringo's son, or even her bra size, it will still be less than I (and millions others) know about the personal life of some Jonas kid or a Victoria's Secret model. I'd rather know about Ringo. Who cares?
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 07:42 PM   #59
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

I would have to be way more skilled (in english) to talk about it someday, but I think that one of the possible interpretations of "Hyakuro Megane" is what is being discussed now.
Just some tips.

Think that the detetive is the audience (Ringo fan) looking for the real Ringo (the actress). There is two personas that don't match that could be the same person: the Yamato Nadeshiko type (perfect japanese woman) and the prostitute, etc. and a lot of millions other alegories...

And in the end, she says criptically: Who you call "ringo" is the real me. (Or was in Ringo no Uta?, but its all conected in that phase anyway.)

Well...
... sorry if this doesn't make any sense.
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 07:57 PM   #60
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Love the band, love the musicians, absolutely love the music, but yeah, I think you know where I'm going to.

Sorry but I had to say it. One of these days I'm gonna find somebody with a full chest tattoo of I <3 RINGO CHAN or something like that.

Ok, rant ended. Feel free to lay it on me.
Where abouts have you come across such extreme stalker-esque stuff about Ringo? besides for the nonsense about her breasts in Ultra C which really was verging on the comedy I can't say I've noticed anything extreme in that regard?

Nobody is asking for her measurements, nobody is talking about her in any sexually explicit way so what's got you going here?

Besides for a bit of old trivia lying about the forums there's really no focus on anything creepy that I've seen? I don't think we have any Ringo rapists in our midst.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote