Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.07.20, 07:04 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Might SR come to the West, after all?

She's gone overboard with the travel motifs (including Companion to Freedom)
Also I hear that she's just been traveling the world (including a trip to London). I'm sure the idea's been proposed to her many times (especially with her sistas Utada Hikaru and Ayumi Hamasaki having done *something* in the West), and rumours suggest she is set against it. But all her lyrics seem to point to a transformation of sorts in her personal life -- she keeps referring to 'her new self' in one way or another, explicitly in that Dai Hakken interview.

Soil n Pimp did it. As did Cornelius and Salyu in London's Jazz Cafe. Hopefully she's next. Or a collaboration with some western musician. Not expecting her to break through or anything, obviously.

fake edit: most of her lyrics have this sense of motion, but from Sports on, the journey seems to be continuing on a different level
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.20, 08:33 AM   #2
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Ten years too late, son.
Old 2012.07.20, 09:11 AM   #3
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

There's like an inverse rule of being famous sort of thing. Cornelius makes electronic music, which is already it's own sub-culture. Therefore the fans are more intense. Soil and Pimp make club jazz. It's the same thing.

But Shiina is "only" a rock and pop artist. They come a dime a dozen. There is less of a rabid sub-culture.

I think the only chance we would have gotten for Shiina in the West would be when Sakuran came out and if it was submitted to any international film festivals, she may have shown up.

You really can't compare her to Utada or Ayumi. Both are far more famous than Shiina, and Utada in particular was born in the US.

Even though Shiina does have an attachment to London, I don't think that will ever manifest in a concert.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.20, 10:53 AM   #4
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Her new self might want to settle down and be semi-creative from time to time. Her new excuse will be that she's past her prime. lol
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.20, 02:35 PM   #5
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It does make sense that she’s not popular enough or novelty enough. Damn my short-sighted enthusiasm :-(

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
Her new self might want to settle down and be semi-creative
from time to time.
I interpreted it like this, too. And making music from behind the scenes as she’s been doing lately. I wouldn’t mind another soundtrack.

On the subject of Cornelius and SR’s new self, ShiinaXRingo album titled "asymmetry" please.
Old 2012.07.20, 08:17 PM   #6
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Also I hear that she's just been traveling the world (including a trip to London).

Most likely seen it before, but just in case...
Old 2012.07.21, 02:54 AM   #7
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

I guess that makes sense, she's kind of right smack dab in the middle of "super edgy niche music" and "pop rock"- she wouldn't fit in in a small club venue and she wouldnt' be able to fill an arena. Sucks.

But wait, when was she in London? It wasn't this summer was it? If she was here and I missed her I'm going to go crazy.
Old 2012.07.21, 04:05 AM   #8
Scribble R

Ya, she was in London last month I think. :-P
I wonder if anyone recognised her (including Japanese tourists)

She went to France after.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2012.07.21 at 04:57 AM.
Old 2012.07.21, 05:34 AM   #9
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

where have you read that she was in London and France?
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.21, 12:56 PM   #10
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

The obvious first baby step would be to gradually release her albums digitally on ITunes/Amazon in Europe & the US and maybe do an e-mail interview with the help of a translator with some hipster blogs, etc. to promote that. KZK especially would be well-received.

If that goes ok, follow it up with a new album with a majority of English lyrics & tour. There's obviously lots of venues sized in-between a small club and an arena. She doesn't have to "conquer" the West but she can have fun, see the world, etc, and be in front of an audience that's going to accept more edginess in her music than the mainstream Japanese music audience. Although I think she'd do pretty well if she collaborated with the right folks over her because one thing she can do is write a heckuva song.

I don't think she'd want to go that far since any "World Tour" would be way more dates than anything she's done in Japan, but who knows. She's certainly not too old by Western standards.

Last edited by thefro : 2012.07.21 at 01:16 PM.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote