Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2009.07.20, 06:09 AM   #31
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

That sounds unbelievable Golem (and justriingo!) I'd love to see them live as close as you two did, I'm waaaay jealous!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 10:55 AM   #32
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Since SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS keep revisiting Europe so much that they probably have vacation homes there by now, I don't think I'll ever get the chance to see them in-person while I'm stuck in the states.

I am however, probably the only member of this community who bought and watched their first (and so far their only) real concert DVD. I have the now-sold-out limited version, but honestly I don't know what the benefit over unlimited is supposed to be. Anyway, it's one of the better concert DVDs I own. I'd rank it alongside Dynamite Out and Johnny Heaven. None of these concerts have the best setlists, but they have the best performances.

It's just as well that I was not in the front row with the saxophone in my face. As someone who at least has an alto saxophone somewhere in their closet, sometimes I want to choke the guy for sweating up a storm and nearly running out of breath in his futile quest to make an alto saxophone sound more sassy like a tenor. Just get a damn tenor saxophone and save yourself the stamina from trying to artificially achieve that kind of sound.

I would like to see a concert with some Planet Pimp songs included, which I'm sure is what you saw, golem. Any chance you could wing up a setlist of what they played?

By the way, did they ever use a keytar? That's something you never see/hear with J.A.M. or a collaboration.
Old 2009.07.20, 12:10 PM   #33
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I think justriiingo wanted to post the setlist.

And Moto had I think two different saxophones on stage, no clue which was which

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 12:38 PM   #34
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I keep missing these dudes when they come to London! They were here a few weeks ago
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 12:39 PM   #35
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

You can most easily distinguish between alto and tenor saxophones, by looking at the neck.

Alto:

Tenor:

I didn't know anything about the differences between the subtypes of saxophone, until after I went through band class. Half the class wanted to play saxophone before they knew anything about it, so what the band teacher did was required aspiring saxophone players to start off with clarinets, then the best clarinet players could qualify for playing saxophone in the class. I was always the second best at whichever instrument I played, and I never practiced - while the first and third best people practiced their asses off.

After I qualified, I chose the alto sax, and I regret it. Alto saxophone is not by any means the most hardcore or expressive jazz horn you can get your hands on. Tenor saxophone is so much sassier and more textured, and it can hit slightly lower notes at the cost of not being able to go quite as high as the alto, but in jazz you rarely or never want to go as high as the alto can go (unless you're Moto), and especially not with the natural smoothness of the alto when you are pushing a normal amount of air into it. The alto saxophone is more like a soprano sax than a tenor, and it's all because of the attitude. The soprano sax is best left to new age music like Kenny G, because as far as I'm concerned the soprano has no suitable role anywhere else, and the alto is almost as bad.

Moto must have had a real tenor saxophone for when he didn't have anymore stamina to continue pretending that his alto saxophone was a tenor. You don't have to breath so hard into a tenor or squeeze your lips so tightly on the mouthpiece, to get the kind of sound that Moto wants out of an alto saxophone. I think what he wants is to go higher than a tenor can go, but you can't fake any higher notes on that, so he fakes the texture of a tenor on his alto and tries to get the best of both worlds (if he rarely/never wants to go as low as a tenor can) while he wears himself out.

There's nothing wrong with including an alto saxophone in big band jazz among other saxophones, but when it's the only saxophone a smaller band has, something is very wrong. It parallels with having a back-up style guitarist such as Ukigumo, as your only guitarist. Some people think it's all cool and unique, but I think it's futile. At least Moto has stage presence though.
Old 2009.07.20, 01:22 PM   #36
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
At least Moto has stage presence though.
And the music sound awesome, so I don't care what or how he does it

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 02:05 PM   #37
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Setlist in Dusseldorf had some slow songs in it... like Waltz for Goddess and Wheel Within a Wheel. They also played AIE, Summer Goddess, Fantastic Planet, Quiet Fire (J.A.M), JDF *i think*, Suffocation *YESSSSS!* I remember reading the set list printed out and stuck to the stage floor (yes we were that close) and thinking, wow this set list sure is short; h/w, they did a whole bunch of improvisation in there so every 3 minute song basically became 6-8 minutes in the live. Moto was really giving it his all with the solos, he played most of them and for maybe 2-3 minutes everytime until he got super sweaty and out of breath that he can to take some oxygen. Tabu Zombie seemed a little more distant in the Dusseldorf gig he kept standing at the back of the stage and not really doing anything at all. Must have been bored or something.

At the jazz festival in Rotterdam they played ALL their high energy fast songs, no slow stuff at all, which is why I am glad I went to their Dusseldorf gig as well so I could really hear them play some delicate music. Plus we were soooooo close to the performers I could actually see Moto's underwear.

The crowd in Rotterdam was quite different from that in Dusseldorf of course. At Rotterdam it was a jazz festival and from talking to one of the locals I heard that the Japanese jazz bands (Quasimode, Kyoto Jazz Massive, SAPS) had pretty good publicity so many people were excited to see what they had to offer. The stage was also really cool, medium sized and all standing room, and by the middle of the concert most people at the front half of the hall were realllly into the music. The standing room was good cuz it made the crowd more fluid; some people didn't like the music and left after 2 songs, which just made it all the better for me to ninja my way to the front. But most of the people in Rotterdam seemed to know what they were getting into.

Quite a different story in Dusseldorf though. golem09 tells me that Dusseldorf has the biggest Japanese population in Germany, and for sure a lot of Japanese people showed up, obviously knowing what to expect. However, a bunch of older people showed up as well and they looked like they had completely no idea of what they were going to see in the next 2 hours. The worst thing was that, they were sitting next to golem09 and I in the front row, and obviously they weren't willing to give up the awesomemest seats in the house, so I think that kindaaa killed the energy a little. BUT, there was this guy who seemed to be on *something*, cuz he was doing rave dance moves to SAPS songs.

It was a brilliant performance really. It suddenly makes you think why the PIMP is even there in the first place. On recordings in MVs he doesn't really seem to do anything, but in live performances, he is DA MAN. He basically plays the audience, gets them excited, makes them anticipate stuff, make them sing stuff... he's like the spiritual leader of the band. Quite amazing really. I would really LOOOOVE to see them again!!
Old 2009.07.20, 02:48 PM   #38
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
And the music sound awesome, so I don't care what or how he does it
Yes... If anyone else gets a chance to see them live, you actually wish that saxophone and trumpet to sound as raw and as nasty as possible!

It's cool that you two got so close to the band in Dusseldorf *envious* and remembered the musical details. I just remember one hell of a musical high and jumping up and down going Music! Has! No! Borders! just as in the clip! My friend who accompanied me to the London gig (at Koko, a couple of weeks ago) came along without knowing who they were but within seconds of the first song starting turned to me and said, this is fantastic...!
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 02:55 PM   #39
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Yes... If anyone else gets a chance to see them live, you actually wish that saxophone and trumpet to sound as raw and as nasty as possible!

It's cool that you two got so close to the band in Dusseldorf *envious* and remembered the musical details. I just remember one hell of a musical high and jumping up and down going Music! Has! No! Borders! just as in the clip! My friend who accompanied me to the London gig (at Koko, a couple of weeks ago) came along without knowing who they were but within seconds of the first song starting turned to me and said, this is fantastic...!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 02:58 PM   #40
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
They'll be back! We're lucky to live in London. I've signed up to the Brownswood mailing list, Gilles Peterson's / SAPS label in the UK (I like Gilles' music in general, especially José James) ... That looks the best way of being informed of next time they're over. Hopefully we'll all post tour dates here and SAPS will travel more widely.

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.07.20 at 03:28 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote