Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.03.22, 05:55 AM   #321
anonlurker

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Those t-shirt designs are awesome, but I'm not one to wear band t-shirts these days anymore. I would feel so awkward walking around in a t-shirt with Shiina's face on it.

Just wear it in the house when you're lounging about. I've got an abysmal Dark Souls T-shirt of a wolf in the moonlight that I wouldn't dare leave the house with but it's awesome for wearing indoors.

That other pic is definitely somebody cosplaying Nana.

Last edited by anonlurker : 2015.03.22 at 05:59 AM.
Old 2015.03.22, 07:52 AM   #322
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Been a crazy week so only just got to watch Ringo Expo over the weekend.

WHAT. A. SHOW.

That performance of Ima will probably go down as one of the most memorable concert openers of hers for me.

EDIT (more thoughts)

- Don't really get the Aya/Bambi criticisms since I hardly felt them? They're backup dancers, didn't really bother me that much. To me the camera's focus was still firmly on Ringo.

- YATTSUKE SHIGOTO - so out of place but So Much Feels. Loved it

- NIPPON all the way to the end - what a fucking ride. I really don't know how some people enjoyed the 'accordion concert' more than this cos she really TORE into every single song on this one. Shuuen no onna and Shizukanaru gyakushu really really hit the spot.

- Oh yea I guess I didn't care much for this version of Sounan. There, One thing I didn't like.

I really really loved this concert. Definitely more than I did the first Ringo Expo, and maaaaybe dare I say Electric Mole.

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2015.03.22 at 08:50 AM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.22, 12:21 PM   #323
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Happy to see a positive review for the DVD.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.22, 01:37 PM   #324
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

It's enjoyable, particularly the swimming suit part.

Aya and Bambi have the same effect of this woman in The Magnificent Three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg That's_Lobstertainment.jpg (112.9 KB, 93 views)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.23, 02:37 AM   #325
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

This is a fucking awesome show!!!

Edit: I wrote the above just before I watched the 'Leading Lady' and 'A Quiet Counterattack' performances. :O

Fuck! Mayakashi Yasaotoko!

Last edited by Scribble R : 2015.03.23 at 02:53 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.23, 02:48 AM   #326
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ did you like those 2 performances? Cos I absolutely LOVED them but I can see how that kind of camp might not be to everybody's taste, although to me it shows the sort of confidence to be flirty that can only come with age and a certain amount of experience in showbiz.
Old 2015.03.23, 04:32 AM   #327
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Looking at the opening of this, Bon Voyage and Expo I get to thinking:

Remember when Ringo needed a mere spotlight to shine on her like the start of Zazen to send everyone fucking crazy?

Yeah neither do I.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.23 at 04:37 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.23, 05:35 AM   #328
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
^ did you like those 2 performances? Cos I absolutely LOVED them but I can see how that kind of camp might not be to everybody's taste, although to me it shows the sort of confidence to be flirty that can only come with age and a certain amount of experience in showbiz.
I loved them. I don't think Aya, Bambi and angel wings distract from anything. These were two explosive, theatrical tracks, and they're being brought to life on stage. The extravagant elements aren't intrusive at all because they're crucial to the bite of the songs. I just like how aggressively, un-apologetically effeminate the whole thing is. This is certainly more Lady Gaga or Ayumi Hamasaki sort of territory but Ringo's personal style brings a sort of grittiness to the table. It's like she's coming out as a woman, lol.

I don't see why the visuals and 'music' have to be mutually exclusive. Zazen Ecstasy, GX, etc. are not THAT far removed from this.

(After a 2014 of Rupaul's Drag Race and Bayonetta and Adventure Time/Steven Universe) I find myself being really interested in this sort of thing, if you get my drift :p)

There's so much to like about this show...

Last edited by Scribble R : 2015.03.23 at 05:56 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.23, 06:00 AM   #329
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Hmm, maybe I'll end up buying the DVD then. I did like the Youtube preview videos and seeing you guys give positive reviews gets me more excited to watch it.

I dunno, DG, maybe you're just over Shiina at this point.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.23, 06:06 AM   #330
gekokujyo

^ I didn't want to open the RDR can of worms but......you are basically right.

What I am really curious is, if you isolate her voice from the whole performance and compared them side by side, Ringo Expo '14 vs ZX, can anyone honestly say that they prefer one over the other, and if they can't, then the differentiating factor clearly becomes one of taste, and which aesthetic you prefer...

I wish I could find that sharply written article about Beck's Grammy win, and about how Beyonce was robbed because critics believe Pop music is inherently inferior, or something. Which really resonates here.