Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.07.08, 09:28 PM   #731
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

What software are you using to analyze this? I ordered the Chui Xian San Chi CD for the purpose of analysis (and, to be honest, because I am a complete sucker for Ringo).

In any case that is really bizarre. What could they possibly be trying to accomplish by doing this, other than making it sound crappy? Did they, like, burn the MP3 to CD and call that a master?

It would be interesting to see what the LP versions look like by comparison. deadgrandma?
Old 2015.07.08, 09:32 PM   #732
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dont really know what the reasoning is. Maybe they just used a quick replay gain/normalising tool on the lot of them and thus made everything match the loudest track on the disc? That said, like people have noticed, even songs from a notoriously loud album like Shouso Strip sound even MORE distorted on this disc (I mean, this is to the extent of someone who's a casual listener being able to notice the difference this time round- it's really audible)... so wtf.

I don't know about any of the later songs regarding the vinyl (as none of them are pressed onto vinyl yet), but I will say Shouso Strip on LP is my go to, it's just less fatiguing than any other version to me. Unfair to compare KZK because they're different versions from each other. Saturday Night Gossip is a lot less fatiguing than Sanmon Gossip, but again, it's only a few songs from the album to make an EP.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.07.08 at 09:37 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.08, 09:35 PM   #733
zeroryouko
Ringophile

I use ReplayGain on my own rips, so I can actually hear them over the road noise...but seriously, there's a check box for track gain instead of album gain...
Old 2015.07.08, 09:40 PM   #734
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Its totally understandable when you have to do it for a compilation of stuff from many years, but there are much better ways of doing it than just turning every element to 11. For example, look at the Jun Togawa Legend set. There's material spanning over 30 years on that and yet it all balances well without compromising on quality.

Then again, this release was not meant to be a major release, it's for Taiwan and Universal obviously only issued this to make a quick buck. Or some extra TWD in this case :-p
Old 2015.07.08, 09:48 PM   #735
harry4567

harry4567 raises the standards of what a community can offer

The digital master from MoRA is also a good choice for SS, it sounds good. And I use Audition for analysing the audio files.
harry4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.08, 09:51 PM   #736
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Originally Posted by harry4567 View Post
The digital master from MoRA is also a good choice for SS, it sounds good. And I use Audition for analysing the audio files.
So MoRA is not simply a repackaged version of MM, SS, and KSK? Damn, now I have to buy that too.
Old 2015.07.08, 10:02 PM   #737
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
So MoRA is not simply a repackaged version of MM, SS, and KSK? Damn, now I have to buy that too.
MoRA (DVD version) has MM, SS, KSK, Ringo No Uta and Watashi no Hatsuden in it on DVDs with a 96khz/24bit master (also with slightly different mixing from the originals), and yes, it does sound quite nice too.

Plus the box talks when you open it.
MoRA

At least until the battery runs out like a certain friends of mine which now sounds kinda creepy.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.07.08 at 10:06 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.08, 10:15 PM   #738
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Ah, I had not realized there was a DVD version, I thought it was just the CD. Ringo, why do you tease me so?
Old 2015.07.08, 10:24 PM   #739
harry4567

harry4567 raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
MoRA (DVD version) has MM, SS, KSK, Ringo No Uta and Watashi no Hatsuden in it on DVDs with a 96khz/24bit master (also with slightly different mixing from the originals), and yes, it does sound quite nice too.

Plus the box talks when you open it.
At least until the battery runs out like a certain friends of mine which now sounds kinda creepy.

They are not slightly different, they are HUGE different than the CD master, MM now clearer, SS now more lively, KZK now more quiet . And YES, all b-sides in Watashi no Hatsuden have been remastered also. The nicest release from the Ringo catalog.

edit: just checked that the MoRA cd master is different from DVD master, which has been brickwalled and quite similar to the original cd releases.

Last edited by harry4567 : 2015.07.08 at 10:33 PM.
harry4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.08, 10:41 PM   #740
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Originally Posted by harry4567 View Post
They are not slightly different, they are HUGE different than the CD master, MM now clearer, SS now more lively, KZK now more quiet . And YES, all b-sides in Watashi no Hatsuden have been remastered also. The nicest release from the Ringo catalog.
You know, KZK is probably the one release I'm not convinced needs remastering. Certainly not to make it more quiet. It sounds pretty awesome as it is, which I attribute to Ringo recording much of it by herself in her own house. Still, now I've got to get MoRA. I guess it's ramen for me for a couple more months...