Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.07.26, 06:37 PM   #851
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I don't wanna go over it again but yeah... I find it tedious to say the least.
Then don't. What's the point of gratuitously espousing negativity in every post on a fan thread? We get that you don't like Expo '14 phase but it just seems like you're intent on raising it at every single opportunity.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.26, 06:40 PM   #852
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Don't tell me what to say...

Besides, over the years, other people's negativity towards something I like usually just makes me love it more. Take it as a gift. Stand up to it. Just don't tell people not to write how they feel, that's weak.

Ultimately, you ARE on EMF you know. Noone's liked Shiina Ringo since 2004. I mean, don't you know that's the reputation this page has?

It wasn't me who forged that reputation either. There are other pioneers here who hold responsibilty for that. I'm just carrying that torch until the next grumpy old bastard comes along. Or one of my mentors comes back.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.07.26 at 06:45 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.26, 06:44 PM   #853
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

It was hard to pin down the actual setlist from the show. So many people were posting setlists with one or two songs being different, and Kamisama, Hotokesama was one that there was a lot of confusion over, so I'm not 100% sure of it being performed.

A funny story about the performance. With this being a festival, there were plenty of people in the audience who weren't your typical Ringo fans. One of them was a reporter who saw a bunch of people waving the tour goods flags you see in the picture on the previous page. The reporter mistook it for the Imperial Japanese flag and tweeted out that a bunch of fans in the front section were a group of right-wing nationalists. That sparked the kind of social media firestorm that you'd expect.

Edit: It's not EMF without DG declaring the latest Ringo output to be terrible

Kidding aside, it's nice to see the positivity from some of our newer members!

Last edited by mrnarse : 2015.07.26 at 06:47 PM.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.07.26, 06:47 PM   #854
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I saw another reporter tweet something about her having talent but wasting it on 60s sounding stuff- making her akin to a Japanese Noel Gallagher. Gonna find the exact tweet now.

EDIT:

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.07.26 at 06:53 PM.
Old 2015.07.26, 06:49 PM   #855
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Don't tell me what to say...

Besides, over the years, other people's negativity towards something I like usually just makes me love it more. Take it as a gift. Stand up to it. Just don't tell people not to write how they feel, that's weak.

Ultimately, you ARE on EMF you know. Noone's liked Shiina Ringo since 2004. I mean, don't you know that's the reputation this page has?

It wasn't me who forged that reputation either. There are other pioneers here who hold responsibilty for that. I'm just carrying that torch until the next grumpy old bastard comes along. Or one of my mentors comes back.
Yea then don't get grumpy over people calling you out for being a grouch either. Fans gon' b fans. /peace

At any rate, she sounds very good in those Fuji Rock clips. I wish I had the money to fly over.

That confusion over the flags is both hilarious and......expected. She's probably a (not-so) closeted right-winger, isn't she?
Old 2015.07.26, 06:52 PM   #856
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Yea then don't get grumpy over people calling you out for being a grouch either. Fans gon' b fans. /peace
I don't particularly mind people calling me a grouch, it's people telling me I don't have a right to be grumpy about what I feel is subpar material. I gotta vent somewhere to people who care (I'm not gonna find that outside the interenet, my only friend interested just laughs at anything Ringo related because according to her (she is Japanese)- it's for teenage girls anyway :-p).

Oh I understand... I used to be the same. Look at some of the earliest posts I made for examples. Some I look back and facepalm at. But yeah... I used to defend the living hell out of her too, it's only since around the 15th Anniversary cash in's that I've started to become grumpy about her seemingly breaking up Jihen for no reason. Her new music is really not far from what was on Daihakken. And it's a shame because at least with Jihen, we'd get an album once a year.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.07.26 at 06:57 PM.
Old 2015.07.26, 06:58 PM   #857
gekokujyo

I don't mind her breaking up with Jihen because she can always reform them, or form a new unit, or whatever. She's reinvented herself so many times over, which is why I find it hard to express dismay at anything she does because I know a) it's not going to be definitive of her entire career and b) that she's bound to redeem herself at some point, or reinvent what she made into something that makes me go "Oh, so that's what that song could be like, I get it now, and it's pretty genius" (granted, there's very little of her catalogue that I actually actively dislike)

I wish she had performed some of the other Reimport tracks instead. That SMAP song desperately needs a live version!
Old 2015.07.26, 06:59 PM   #858
mrnarse

I've seen angry right-wingers continuously commenting during a live-streamed interview pleading with her to stop making songs in English, so it's hard to say how well loved she is by them.

And she has covered and been influenced by a ton of western music over her career. But despite all that she's pretty private about her personal life nowadays, so who knows! She's like a Rorshach test and fans just project whatever image onto her they want.

Edit: One more funny story. People were posting pictures of the band settings up before the performance yesterday, and people saw Yukio Nagoshi and his long hair and mistook him for Mikio Hirama. So for about 5 or 10 minutes the online fans thought it was another Jihen semi-reunion.
Old 2015.07.26, 07:00 PM   #859
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by mrnarse View Post
I've seen angry right-wingers continuously commenting during a live-streamed interview pleading with her to stop making songs in English, so it's hard to say how well loved she is by them.
Are you sure it wasn't people on here? I've seen that complaint a billion times before on this very forum
Old 2015.07.26, 07:03 PM   #860
mrnarse

Are you sure it wasn't people on here? I've seen that complaint a billion times before on this very forum
Despite the language and cultural differences, it seems like fans are the same no matter where they are