Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.03.04, 08:37 PM   #61
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'd be more impressed if he was collecting Abbey Roads.

Edit. I would be more impressed if he was collecting Yesterday and Todays. Imagine a shop full of these:

Now that would be fucking art. And worth a bit too.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.03.04 at 10:48 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.05, 08:00 AM   #62
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

...I think its pretty awesome :x
Old 2013.03.05, 09:42 AM   #63
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

I love the concept too.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.05, 01:27 PM   #64
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm fine with collecting vinyls that you love, and he's right there's something awesome about all those sketched-on covers.

But the overtly self-concious inflated sense of importance ("I'm making an ART PIECE and the "process" involves collecting vinyls") is what bothers me so much.

I have to deal with untalented, pretentious artists every day, most of whom think that 1) once you label something as art it MAGICALLY cannot be criticized 2) anything you shit out is fine art and you must be worshiped as the next Warhol and 3) making something unusual is the same thing as making something innovative or avant garde

Collecting vinyls is great. Doing it because it's an "art piece" is fucking annoying.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.03.05 at 05:17 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.05, 03:02 PM   #65
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I've got quite a few vinyl copies of KSK, but they don't have serial numbers, so there's nothing unique about any of them until I open them or use them (or let their cover art fade from extended exposure to sunlight). Even if they'd been opened, they don't have the blank canvas (like the White Album) for people to scribble on, so a KSK vinyl's only relevant history would be the needle mileage.

The White Album also has the distinction of being older than most of us. At the time when it was released, vinyl was the only collectible format of it. So it wasn't this optional niche product like a KSK vinyl in a world where CDs are already the standard consumer format.

There's no artistic merit to the hoarding I've been doing, while this guy is more akin to a museum curator. I wouldn't go so far as to call him an 'artist', but I do have some respect for what he's doing with his time and money, even though I'm hardly serious about The Beatles at all.