Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.12.17, 09:43 AM   #61
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Yeah, why does everyone hate the Liturgy guy? He's supposed to be an asshole or something?

Def check out Iceage, it was my number one for most of the year (and then in the tossup between the other top 3 for the rest of the year.) Also the ██████ album if Deafheaven, Liturgy, is your thing.
Old 2013.12.17, 10:25 AM   #62
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I gave Deafheaven a chance, but to me it sounded like Envy topped with black metal vocals instead of hardcore vocals. I'm not seeing all the hype behind this band. They're top on so many end of the year lists. Maybe I should give it another chance.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.17, 02:42 PM   #63
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Just glanced over Jihad's end of the year list. Amazing.
I've hardly heard any of the ones that made your list. Lots to check out, good to know.

I can't seem to find Yamantaka // Sonic Titan on the list though. Thought it was a pretty good album.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.17, 03:26 PM   #64
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

It was a VERY good album. Uzu was in and out of my top 50. Even started a write up for it. Definitely dug it. If my list went to 51 or 52, it would probably be there.
Old 2013.12.18, 05:52 AM   #65
Tokyo Jihad

Pitchfork posted their top 50 and I am going to talk about it.

I'm not one of those uber-mesch hipsters who is "too cool" for Pitchfork (but I do try to expand my scope beyond what Pitchfork pushes.) Pitchfork and Pazz & Jop these days are my standard when it comes to end of year lists, for whatever that's worth, so I can't help but want to comment.

First off, there's the usual Pitchfork chaffe that you have to look past: Majikal Cloudz, Jai Paul, and freaking Sky Ferreira – gimmie a break. Stop trying to make Sky Ferreira happen; it's not going to happen.

Savages over Reflektor? What? Both were good, both had their flaws, but Reflektor is more memorable.

Monomania,what? Why? Not this time Deerhunter. Every time I see Parquet Courts in a 2013 list, I boil "that was last year," and not even in a Burial. late December way.

I don't understand what people see in Doris. Earl's flow is static -- every song sounds the same, and his guests routinely out shine him. I swear, Tyler's verse makes it the best Tyler song this year. I thought Wolf was way better than Doris. I also don't get Chance the Rapper or A$AP Rocky (though I loved A$AP Ferg's record.) Maybe I'm just too old.

Any of the female singer songwriter's in my list: Torres, Laura Stevenson, Lady Lamb, are better than the Waxahachee album. It's not "bad" but its not better than any of the above.

The Knife is way too low. Jon Hopkins and Forest Swords are shockingly low (as is Chvrches, for Pitchfork). I like the inclusion of Neko Case and Autre Ne Veut, loved those albums.

What's more Pitchfork than putting Kanye #1? Putting Vampire Weekend #1 instead.

(All in all, I agree with my list more. Yes yes. )
Old 2013.12.18, 05:59 AM   #66
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Vampire Weekend is a pretty easy album to like though, and its hipster as it gets. So it isn't really a surprise.
Old 2013.12.18, 06:03 AM   #67
Tokyo Jihad

I loved it, obv. And it seemed like an obvious choice for them if they weren't picking Yeezus (well, Modern Vampires or Reflektor.) Just wanted to make a snarky retort.

EDIT: holy crap, is Iceage not in their list?? Whaaaaaat. wrong answer, McFly.
Old 2013.12.18, 05:59 PM   #68
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Nobody considered Yoko Ono's Take Me to the Land of Hell?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.19, 10:56 AM   #69
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Finally done with school, started checking this stuff out.
I really like Laura Mvula, she makes me think if Jill Scott was backed by Bjork's more Baroque-style music. Strings and beats combined with neo-soul. It's very pretty.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.21, 04:40 PM   #70
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Pitchfork should be banned from doing a list each year. It causes more problems than you can ever imagine. Folk who wouldn't usually give a crap about Vampire Weekend coming out of the woodwork to either tell us how hardcore fans they are or bitch about why they don't deserve #1. The last.fm shoutbox is doomed.