Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2010.10.13, 08:27 AM   #21
Masuku

Masuku pleased at least somebody

Isn't the ringo trivia thread still around? At least I've got most of the most interesting info around there now and then.

EDIT : YEAH. http://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=16 Arabesque check that if you still are not, I think there is some info you might find interesting =)
Masuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.13, 10:34 AM   #22
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
got pregnant with Junji, her SS era guitarist, married him, divorced him a year later
Giving him way too much credit, luv. He was the replacement for the SS era guitarist. I suspect Senkou XTC was a much, much better tour than GX (or even the ZX show) because Susumu Nishikawa was the touring guitarist at the time.
Old 2010.10.13, 05:35 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Giving him way too much credit, luv. He was the replacement for the SS era guitarist
Name:  emot-iceburn.gif
Views: 83
Size:  1.9 KB
Old 2010.10.13, 05:58 PM   #24
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

Thanks for the Kimaru link superficial fan.
It's a pretty good song, maybe one that sounds more like SR than TJ. SR somehow writes better tunes in triple meter than she does with 4/4/. It reminds me of Yukiguni somehow. Thought the overdid the back with the Yume no Ato effect, but I suspect it should be quite good live.
I also like SR songs in 3/4, but it should be pointed out that Kimaru is written by Ukigumo.

What is the 'Yume no Ato' effect? I don't recall the studio version as having unusual sound effects...
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.13, 07:16 PM   #25
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
That song's very overrated past the first couple of minutes.
I agree that it's a bit overrated, but I still think it's pretty good. I'm not convinced it gains anything (except duration) from being as long as it is. I think it's still draggier than something Shiina Ringo would write (or would have written at one time). But there's some tasty things going on in it. I'm not sure at what exact minute marker I feel it starts losing it.

Actually, now that I've seen the OSCA from Ultra C, I think it probably makes a better case for Tokyo Jihen as live band circa 2010 than Ultra C "Kimaru" (and the same might even be true for "Zettaizetumei").
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.13, 09:13 PM   #26
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Giving him way too much credit, luv. He was the replacement for the SS era guitarist.

To me, he's just a sperm donor.

Ringo, back me up on that.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.14, 12:58 AM   #27
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
I agree that it's a bit overrated, but I still think it's pretty good. I'm not convinced it gains anything (except duration) from being as long as it is. I think it's still draggier than something Shiina Ringo would write (or would have written at one time). But there's some tasty things going on in it. I'm not sure at what exact minute marker I feel it starts losing it.

Actually, now that I've seen the OSCA from Ultra C, I think it probably makes a better case for Tokyo Jihen as live band circa 2010 than Ultra C "Kimaru" (and the same might even be true for "Zettaizetumei").
People aren't wrong to love Kimaru, it's very atmospheric at the beginning. But I lose it round about the point she stops singing and the piano goes Yume no Ato-ish, because then it goes on a stuck-record loop. I think the song is in triple time 12/8, but the bit that it loops is four bars of 12/8 plus a glitchy one of 3/8 and it's sort of semi changing key as it's doing it, which is very catchy and I don't want Ukizawa voices baa'ing away in my head... Rhapsody in Blue sounds > that. But even in the old days album closers ended in instrumental (Izonshou), obviously you've gotta end an album on an epic note...

Last edited by so_cold : 2010.10.14 at 01:02 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.14, 09:14 AM   #28
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Giving him way too much credit, luv. He was the replacement for the SS era guitarist. I suspect Senkou XTC was a much, much better tour than GX (or even the ZX show) because Susumu Nishikawa was the touring guitarist at the time.
Maou to the rescue.
He's probably right.

Originally Posted by D.K.Liu View Post
I also like SR songs in 3/4, but it should be pointed out that Kimaru is written by Ukigumo.

What is the 'Yume no Ato' effect? I don't recall the studio version as having unusual sound effects...
So Kimaru was written by Ukigumo?
Interesting. He's managed to copy SR.
What I mean with "Yume no Ato" effect is that towards the end, Kimaru was given this epic rock ballad treatment, like Yume no Ato with the loooooooooooooooooong vooooweeeeeeeeeeels + trembly voice, which (in my opinion) spoils the whole song.

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
... and I don't want Ukizawa voices baa'ing away in my head...
Those baa'ing sounds should be part of a horror movie soundtrack.

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
Really? Despite the fact that both Izawa and Uki are completely lifeless as performers? Oh well, it's 2010, not 2005. Be happy JR, be happy.
Old 2010.10.14, 10:17 AM   #29
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

lol! I forgot about those

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.14, 01:43 PM   #30
Jeane

Jeane pleased at least somebody

hated rock music until Asai Kenichi came along, dated him, dumped him, moved on
What do you mean by this exactly? She didn't like rock music until she heard BJC? Or she didn't like rock music until she met Asai? You must be referring to hearing BJC in her youth (I guess it's still debatable whether she was ever into rock before that point, I'm guessing she was) since it seems like she didn't meet Asai until the SS era, and as for a relationship I think that was just conjecture. I wouldn't really say she "moved on" either since she worked with him since that period. I understand that you were just trying to make a quick summary but I would be genuinely interested in any info you have to the contrary.
Jeane is offline   Reply With Quote