Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.26, 04:04 PM   #381
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I can't help but laugh when people say this album lacks melody and hooks when I feel like they're all over the place. This album is practically entirely composed of catchy songs! In fact, I think you could argue that the flaw with the album is that it's almost too catchy. I love this album and think it's a great piece of pop music and melody and catchy hooks are certainly not what it's lacking. What it lacks is the depth of her previous works. It's experimental but not revolutionary. Now I don't know the lyrics other than what frecklegirl has translated but I can tell that the music isn't trying to be as groundbreaking as the other three albums. SG doesn't make some kind of statement like the others do. It is complex, yes, but it's lighter in tone.

I can already guarantee that SG won't have the longevity of her previous albums and may even suffer the fate of Variety (at least on this forum, I'm already seeing a little bit of dissension here except now fluffie's on the hater's side ) in the long run. Which is a shame because it's really well put together and is a much better overall concept than Variety. I think it's refreshing to hear a happy sounding Ringo (though I'll wait until I see more lyrics, from what kuro said about some of the songs it looks like it might take a complete 180 from what I thought ) and some more pleasant sounding arrangements. Shouso Strip and KSK get downright gritty sometimes. It's nice to have something a little light in mood once in a while, isn't it?

But really, guys. Come on. Saying this album isn't catchy is like looking at The Beatles' early albums and thinking "Hmmm... you know, these guys are just waaaay to avant-garde for for my taste. I wish they could just write a simple love song!"
Old 2009.06.26, 04:10 PM   #382
JonnoJ

JonnoJ is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
superificial fan, I don't know what your talking about in hayari cuz Mummy-D never raps Ringo's name. I've read the official lyrics several times and never encountered it.
Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
^ agreed, I can't hear that either. Where in the song does it allegedly happen?
I'm guessing s/he's mishearing (0:27-0:28)
"ittsu-shou-taimu sarasu ze shoutai
michi no minori ni goshoutai"
I was pretty adamant I heard him say "It's showtime something shiina ringo ringo showtime" until I read your romaji of it.
Old 2009.06.26, 04:16 PM   #383
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
But really, guys. Come on. Saying this album isn't catchy is like looking at The Beatles' early albums and thinking "Hmmm... you know, these guys are just waaaay to avant-garde for for my taste. I wish they could just write a simple love song!"
Really? You want to bring the perfection of early Beatles into this discussion?

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.26, 04:22 PM   #384
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I agree, this album is full of hooks and catchy melodies, they take a little time to settle into place though. at this point this album is cohesive for me, I don't say gee I want to listen to roudousha or I want to listen to togatta teguchi, I say I want to listen to SG and play the entire thing. When I start to think about individual tracks that is when it starts to break up. The difference between this and her earlier work is paramount to me because SS is an album tied together by singles, MM is very disjointed to me in what I like and dislike, and KZK is really one long playlist.

its funny how we talk about this album being shallow to her other work and yet no one really knows what is going on in the lyrics. I wouldn't stop and say that the lyrics are all life altering and transcendental, but I was surprising to read some of them and see how they contrast with the physical tone of the music (tsugou no ii karada, yokyou, togatta teguchi fit the song but the lyrics were quite cold, even for ringo)
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.26, 04:29 PM   #385
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post

Hi-yooo!
Old 2009.06.26, 04:36 PM   #386
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
I wouldn't dream of it. Not only do I think The Beatles are better than SG but I also fear Jihad would strike me down for uttering such blasphemy if I didn't!

What I was trying to say is that SG isn't exactly Trout Mask Replica. I guess I find it puzzling that someone would find what I consider to be a highly catchy album non-melodic, hence The Beatles hyperbole.
Old 2009.06.26, 04:55 PM   #387
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

I know what you were going for. I just didn't feel putting "the Beatles" sooo close to SG helped your case, regardless of intention

If someone said some of the songs were catchy...I would be fine...but "highly catchy"?

Not that the album is non-melodic, it is a pop album, after all. Just bland melodies. Not something I expected from Shiina.

Even with HF, which was a disappointment as an album, had several original compositions which were interesting melodically and arrangement wise.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.26, 05:46 PM   #388
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Oiran was catchy
Old 2009.06.26, 06:22 PM   #389
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

SG has no replay power.
Old 2009.06.26, 06:23 PM   #390
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
What I was trying to say is that SG isn't exactly Trout Mask Replica. I guess I find it puzzling that someone would find what I consider to be a highly catchy album non-melodic, hence The Beatles hyperbole.
I wonder how many people here are going to get a Captain Beefheart reference.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote