Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.12.08, 09:29 PM   #6011
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 12:22 AM   #6012
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Rotary Connection - Respect
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 03:33 AM   #6013
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

There was apparently a big avant-prog scene in Japan in the '90s. I discovered a bunch of bands on the Mutant Sounds blog, and waded through much of the YouTube-available material of two of them before I realized that I just wasn't having much fun while exploring this music. Just not a sub-genre that I am crazy about. If this is your style of music, rest assured that there is plenty of it out there. I did pull a couple of reviews off the web to help inform the curious.

"Tipographica were a Japanese band that existed from 1986 until 1998 and who released four albums in the 90s. They play completely instrumental music, basically a rhythmically complex type of jazz-rock. Influences from RIO (Henry Cow, Picchio dal Pozzo), (free) jazz and instrumental/classical Zappa (Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Studio Tan, etc.) are obvious. Furthermore, influences from world music can be heard both in the choice of exotic instruments (djembe, sabar, etc.) and the complex and diverse rhythms. Some traces of 20th century composers (for example Edgar Varese and John Zorn) seem to be present as well.

The albums usually consist of longish tracks (generally in the 6-11 minute range). All tracks show tight and busy, at times slightly dissonant, interplay between the various instruments. The instrumental palette consists mostly of brass, electric guitar, synthesizers, bass, drums and lots of additional percussion. Several instruments get solo space, but even then the instrumental backing remains strong. There are some quieter passages as well, which sound like the best "classical" works of Zappa or a jazz-rocking version of Zorn/Varese. The quiet passages gradually build in intensity and slip effortlessly into the more hectic, percussive parts. There seems to be a continuous, ever-changing flow of musical ideas, while always worshipping "the God of the groove" (as Tipographica put it themselves). The hectic, ever-changing character makes Tipographica's music demanding, but interesting to listen to.

Although some of their musical influences show clearly on their albums (i.e. Zappa), I wouldn't call them clones. Their music is original and fresh enough in my opinion to stand as a individual musical statement . If you like melodic symphonic rock or neo-prog, you probably won't like their music. RIO freaks, jazz or jazz-rock lovers, and fans of Zappa or complex music in general definitely should try one of their albums. Any of their four albums is a good place to start."
Tipographica - Naked Lunch

"All of Koenjihyakkei’s songs are sung in a private language. Some have argued that they’re just strings of nonsense syllables. I, however, after consulting sunken Atlantean tomes and my Dungeon Master’s Guide, have parsed the secret code. Thus I can tell you that, translated, “Koenjihyakkei” means “deadly keyboard assault by frothing Viking elves.” Or possibly “Freddie Mercury and Ornette Coleman have been clubbed and kidnapped by Alban Berg and forced to march in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.”

In any case, Koenjihyakkei’s third album, Nivraym—released in 2001 and recently reissued by Skin Graft—is intense prog weirdness from Japan, where they know how to do their prog weirdness right. The band is helmed by drummer Tatsuya Yoshida, most famously of the Ruins. Where the Ruins turned their prog jones into a brutal pummeling reminiscent of metal, however, Koenjihyakkei uses a fruitier, squigglier attack. “Mederro Passquir,” for example, starts with a repetitive, irritatingly catchy carnival hook and then gives way to a protracted battle between a Leonard Bernstein chorus and a whole barrel of amphetamines. (The amphetamines win.) “Axall Hasck” opens in full-out fury before slipping halfway through towards something that sounds suspiciously like funk. The monumental nine-minute “Gassttrumm” is a thudding, jerking processional for a seven-legged space tyrant, with occasional interruptions by his hyperactive, heavily-armed jester. And what does the jester say? Near as I can tell, he declaims, “Lu, dimi ta monasi, tigol t’me tahundai.” And, you know, I couldn’t agree more."
Koenjihyakkei (at Koenji!) - Rattims Friezz

After extricating myself from the prog bog, I soon found another blog that listed some Japanese groups that were much more my kind of different. Here's one of them, The Eccentric Opera. This 90's group was the duo of Nami Sagara, who does multitracked vocals, and Nahoko Kakiage who plays the keyboards.
The Eccentric Opera - Sanctus

The Eccentric Opera - Black is the Colour

The Eccentric Opera - Ani Holem al Naomi

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.12.09 at 04:48 AM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 08:48 AM   #6014
Princesse-de-Porcelaine

Princesse-de-Porcelaine pleased at least somebody

kukui - Nijuusou (instrumental)
Princesse-de-Porcelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 01:44 PM   #6015
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Dip in the Pool - 4 A seeker
Old 2009.12.10, 09:47 PM   #6016
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
There was apparently a big avant-prog scene in Japan in the '90s.
Doctor Nerve: If You Were Me Right Now I'd Be Dead

In August 1996, this band's guitarist Nick Didkovsky toured Japan
and played with these musicans.
I went 2 nights and it triggered to step in the scene
(but broke away after 2+ years).

http://www.doctornerve.org/nerve/pages/gigs.shtml
Nick Didkovsky - Japan Tour

Each night's program:

Solo performance by ND
Japanese band's performance
Collaboration:
  • ND joins Japanese band for one of their pieces
  • ND joins Japanese band for a Doctor Nerve piece
  • Conducted improvisation
  • Free improvisation
August 1 - MANDA-LA2, Tokyo, with P.O.N.
August 3 - MANDA-LA2, Tokyo, with Happy Family
August 4 - MANDA-LA2, Tokyo, with Isso Yukihiro
August 6 - LA MAMA, Tokyo, with Tipographica
August 7 - MANDA-LA2, Tokyo, with Mamoru Fujieda
August 8 - MANDA-LA2, Tokyo, with Koichi Makagami
August 10 - CLUB QUATRO, Osaka, with Happy Family and varius artists
August 11 - TAKUTAKU, Kyoto, with Hisato Hosoi and Haco

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2009.12.11 at 02:07 AM.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 11:48 PM   #6017
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

^ That sounded awesome! Lucky you.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.12.11 at 12:00 AM.
Old 2009.12.11, 06:27 AM   #6018
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Midori Hirano - Triangle
Old 2009.12.11, 08:28 AM   #6019
Princesse-de-Porcelaine

Princesse-de-Porcelaine pleased at least somebody

Nightmare - livEVIL

One of the last VK bands I still listen to sometimes.
Princesse-de-Porcelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.11, 06:15 PM   #6020
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

midori hirano....

Skalpel - 1958