Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.10.05, 01:10 PM   #341
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think the "Variety" thing is a reaction to the initial Ukizawa songs. I don't thinkthey walkedinto the studio, and wrote on the clean fresh white board "Variety is our theme." Considering the way the album came about, Shiina picking the songs from their dustbins, or whatever, I think its safe to say as the songs/album started shaping up, then the "theme" came about.

And the "HF excuse" has already been agreed to be completely weak sauce Hedo =P
Old 2007.10.05, 01:14 PM   #342
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I think the "Variety" thing is a reaction to the initial Ukizawa songs. I don't thinkthey walkedinto the studio, and wrote on the clean fresh white board "Variety is our theme." Considering the way the album came about, Shiina picking the songs from their dustbins, or whatever, I think its safe to say as the songs/album started shaping up, then the "theme" came about.

Yeah, I also doubt that they had it as a theme from the beginning.

As for the HF thing, thanks for pointing out that it was not true, but I do not consider than an excuse anyway. I don't know why she chose not to write anything, but I doubt she just gave them permission to do whatever they want on this album and then shut up so she can compose the next one.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.05, 02:32 PM   #343
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think Shiina's intention for Variety was to convert the matriarchy into a democracy.

From Adult to Variety albums and their singles, we've heard 9 Ukigumos and 8 Izawas. If you want to include HF, then thats 10 Ukis. Something that has to do with seniority causes that slant, I figure.

She probably has at least a whole albums worth of backlogged, unrecorded new material.

If the thought of that doesn't bring you down...

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.10.05 at 02:38 PM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.05, 03:00 PM   #344
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Which is why I don't agree that this is the music that she "wants" to make herself. I just believe that she liked the music they made and that is why it was released.
That's sounds as if she is really forcing herself to continue with the band. Shouldn't that be our (The taskforce of the h4t3rs) evil argument?

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.05, 03:06 PM   #345
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
That's sounds as if she is really forcing herself to continue with the band. Shouldn't that be our (The taskforce of the h4t3rs) evil argument?
Not really, because I said that I think she liked the music even though it's not the way she would have done it.

I guess now we are more used to the band, but if it was originally started to take the spotlight away from her, Variety makes a lot of sense. Since HF was recorded in a very short time, she probably just needed a break so this is why I'm expecting either a 5th solo album or an awesome album next year. What other reason could there have been for her to not want to right a single song on the album? They seem to get a long very well so I don't think it was that she wanted them to get their one shot and then go back into her shadow.
Old 2007.10.05, 04:27 PM   #346
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Yeah, I also doubt that they had it as a theme from the beginning.

As for the HF thing, thanks for pointing out that it was not true, but I do not consider than an excuse anyway. I don't know why she chose not to write anything, but I doubt she just gave them permission to do whatever they want on this album and then shut up so she can compose the next one.

It's not true or false; truth is that nobody knows what Shiina was doing during that period of time while Variety was made. It's very possible she was busy with HF during the creation of Variety since sometimes it takes a couple years to make an album (planning, composing, arranging, mastering, etc).

I think the point I was making a while ago was completely misunderstood. Shiina gave more control to the band members. That could have been because of her busy schedule, children, etc. I don't see why that's viewed as an "excuse". It's simply a possible reason. Sure, she probably gave input here and there, but the definition of giving up control is pushing oneself in the background further and not making all the decisions.

My argument before was that blame for a sub-par album lies solely on the ones who composed the songs. Not Shiina. I was essentially saying that sometimes the individual has to make sacrifices to please the team (this is -especially- true with Japanese culture). But anyway, this whole point is completely separate from the issue on why Shiina gave control to the band.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.05, 04:55 PM   #347
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by imkookoo View Post
I was essentially saying that sometimes the individual has to make sacrifices to please the team (this is -especially- true with Japanese culture)
This is also -especially- true with basketball
Old 2007.10.05, 07:05 PM   #348
elodie

elodie pleased at least somebody

In a recent interview Shiina says fans sent letters telling them that they don't like her music. So she thought she should let the other people in the band to make some music. She also said that she is running out of materials to record
elodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.05, 07:38 PM   #349
freshevryday

freshevryday pleased at least somebody

this may be a little random but do any of these songs remind you of Napoleon Dynamite? i listening to Variety today and that just popped into my brain.

Originally Posted by elodie View Post
In a recent interview Shiina says fans sent letters telling them that they don't like her music. So she thought she should let the other people in the band to make some music. She also said that she is running out of materials to record
How can fans send a letter that says i don't like your music. I mean shiina has changed alot but I just think she's becoming more mature. And by materials im guessing she means experiences, she's way past her adolescences so i guess she'll just have to...ummm have some more experiences.

RAMBLING:
So you many wondering "what kind of experiences should shiina have?"
I'm thinking she needs a long vacation, like a world tour without a schedule. Fly to London, stop by Paris, crash at my house, go to carnival in Brazil. Those are the kinda things she might wanna do.

Blog: Just Can't Help it!
freshevryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.05, 08:38 PM   #350
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post

considering those of us at Countdown Japan heard Mirrorball pretty much exactly as it sounds on the album in december 06, I think its fair game to assume that a lot of time and work had been put into the album long before HF was hitting the shelves. The theme Variety is most definitely a response to the large collection of material they assembled, Tori Amos did the same thing for her most recent album, and I don't think it is a negative thing at all, letting the work shape itself and then adding a theme/concept afterwards. I mean it is better than sticking with one and limiting yourself to that certain theme.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote