Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.05.07, 04:10 PM   #21
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
No it was a studio recording.

I just assumed it meant making a PV for the almost 10 yr old recording...if its not that, then it definately SHOULD BE. Leave ZCS alone =''(

I think ZCS is one of her best works. Maybe not in the sense that KZK is great, but it feels spontaneous, it feels "this is what I'm feeling now so lets put it out there." Kinda like the Mayonaka single but minus the production value.

Yattsuke Shigoto, ehh okay...Gamble, whatever....But the line needs to be drawn there. Disc 1 of ZCS, fair game. But leave Disc 2 alone! Mellow is already one of her most powerful tracks, so I'm praying my initial reaction was what they had in mind.

I totally agree! I'm afraid of this new Mellow ver... ZCS is the masterpiece !

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2008.05.07, 04:27 PM   #22
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The part of this that's most fuzzy is the "2 disc set." Is it two cds, or is t 1 cd, plus the dvd? If the former, i think it'll probly be like the Number Girl "best of release" which was 1 disc for singles and 1 for B-sides -- which it seems to hint at.
If that's the case, I hope it's not the covers that get left off. Some of those are favorites of mine. Actually, I'm a big fan of her B-sides, and it would hurt no matter what is left off.

Another thing that's fuzzy is will it only include Ringo singles, or will her TJ B-sides be part of this? My initial thought was the former, but you never know.

Finally, here's hoping "Georgy Porgy" makes it on. *fingers crossed*
Old 2008.05.07, 04:41 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think the safe bet is its solo-only
Old 2008.05.07, 05:10 PM   #24
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
ok, now you've totally lost my respect.
Gamble ZCS = good, average ringo-song
Gamble HF = masterpiece!!!
I'll lose your respect too since I think both versions of Gamble are crap (HF less so).

I guess this saves me some money since I won't have to buy the singles to get all the B-sides and I'm not a collector like Glath. I'll probably pass on the DVD though.
Old 2008.05.07, 05:17 PM   #25
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I think ZCS is one of her best works. Maybe not in the sense that KZK is great, but it feels spontaneous, it feels "this is what I'm feeling now so lets put it out there." Kinda like the Mayonaka single but minus the production value.
I respect your perspective, but don't myself think it was lacking in production values. Based on my years in studios, I think it had strict production values, that it was intentionally overcompressed, distorted, tinny and raw, that a lot of your perceived spontaneity was actually artifice.
I respect Ringo as an artist, and if she chose to have her song sound coarse and crude, I'm sure she had valid, creative reasons for doing so.
But if she decides to reinterpret it in a way that, say, I could actually discern most of the notes played by the guitar in the right channel of the mix, I wouldn't shed any tears.
Old 2008.05.07, 05:20 PM   #26
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'll lose your respect too since I think both versions of Gamble are crap (HF less so).

I guess this saves me some money since I won't have to buy the singles to get all the B-sides and I'm not a collector like Glath. I'll probably pass on the DVD though.
Wait a minute now! You think both versions are crap? You don't even like the song? Wow, I won't go as far as to say you've lost my respect...

I liked the original Gamble, I don't think the new version is necessarily better than the old one. The old one was so rough that it had a certain charm to it.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2008.05.07, 05:48 PM   #27
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the album is two discs of music the dvd is a single disc of videos. they are separate from each other but being released on the same day.

as for the album, they haven't released a track list so it is anyones guess how they will arrange the tracks.
Old 2008.05.07, 05:50 PM   #28
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
I respect your perspective, but don't myself think it was lacking in production values. Based on my years in studios, I think it had strict production values, that it was intentionally overcompressed, distorted, tinny and raw, that a lot of your perceived spontaneity was actually artifice.
I'm well aware of the production processes What I'm saying is that, even if Mayonaka was turned out in the same amount of time ZCS was (and it probly took less) ZCS "feels" more spontaneous because of its rawness. As if it was recorded, slapped on a disc and sent out the door. Whereas Mayonaka has a fuller sound thus the audience, if they chose to compare could say she probably spent more time on Mayonaka due to the more lavish instrumentation (even if its not true, but thats that lovely directorial slight of hand.)

In closing: Mellow (assuming its the Mellow we all know and maybe love) will be the the only true masterpiece of the disc. In my heart
Old 2008.05.07, 06:50 PM   #29
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by digdad View Post
Finally, here's hoping "Georgy Porgy" makes it on. *fingers crossed*
Where is the Love?, too.

I'm glad (it sounds like) this will be a collection of lesser-known songs instead of a playlist of those songs whored out so many times they've been left physically exhausted and emotionally crippled with father issues and no real teeth to their names. Give 'em a fuckin' break already, Ringo.
Old 2008.05.07, 07:02 PM   #30
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

it is worth noting as well that in the e-mail the news guy made a reference to the song fukurandekichatta, which means "its swollen", as a reference to the two disc set but maybe also as insight to the fact that it will be included in the set. maybe she will rerecord it since it is live if it is in fact included? either way, this is going to sell like hot cakes and there will be a lot of people buying this cd but here is to hoping that she includes something worthwhile for the rest of us anyways.
Closed Thread