Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.11.02, 07:34 PM   #1421
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
Long story short: you have to be a mod to start a new topic in the "news" sub-forum (which made sense when this forum was much more active), but now no mods bother to create topics aside from this main one in the news sub-forum. We discussed it in this thread. I hope it goes back to the old format in 2016...
We will see, but everyone that had the power to do this kind of thing seems to either have

-long gone
-doesn't have time
-doesn't care whatsoever anymore
-just can't be fucked

I can't blame them at all, just hope that someone else who is still passionate will be able to create new threads next year. Zeroyouko is my candidate for this, they are still very keen on Ringo and seem to be in the know. They are also one of the most frequent posters left on here... I wonder how many active posters there are left nowadays, kinda depressing really.
Old 2015.11.03, 08:50 AM   #1422
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Wow, praise from Caesar.

I'm not a mod or anything, but I would be happy to take the lead on creating new threads.
Old 2015.11.03, 02:12 PM   #1423
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

TOYOTA car show

Ringo selling herself to TOYOTA. Enough said.
Old 2015.11.03, 02:35 PM   #1424
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Am I missing something, or is she just doing the voice over? I didn't hear much music there, but I also skipped around quite a bit looking for it.

ETA: As far as Ringo doing voice work goes, I have really mixed feelings. While I would miss her music (even considering the past 12 months' lackluster releases), I have a lot of respect for voice actors and if she really were to do that full time, and do it well, I could totally get into it. Doing a voice over for Toyota might not be great as a musician, but as a voice actor that's bread and butter.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.11.03 at 02:42 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.03, 03:22 PM   #1425
deadgrandma

Ahhh the ever positive Zeroyouko.

All I see here is yen. And a car that looks like it belongs on The Jetsons or something.

If she became a voice actress, I'd see no point in giving a fuck unless I understood Japanese fluently.
Old 2015.11.03, 04:02 PM   #1426
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Oh goody! The sub vs. dub debate!

Without rehashing the whole thing - I guess it just depends what one gets out of it. I am certainly not fluent in Japanese, but I have always maintained that Ringo's voice is my principal interest. Of course I love her music - but there is a certain level where it doesn't matter too much to me whether she's speaking or singing. And beyond that, were her voice not what it is, I would probably find a great deal of her music much less interesting.

If Ringo were to become a seiyuu, I have absolutely no doubt that she could put on a spoken performance just as engaging as her singing.

Sorry for being so...non-negative?
Old 2015.11.03, 09:43 PM   #1427
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Don't really care much for her as a voice actress but she can do whatever she wants as long as the part about her that I enjoy the most (the music) is still good, which it is.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.04, 02:37 AM   #1428
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I find it weird Toyota would seek her out, it's not like she's popular enough to attract more buyers and there are more accomplished voice actors out there to hire for less money, probably.
Old 2015.11.04, 07:04 AM   #1429
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Ahhh the ever positive Zeroyouko.

All I see here is yen. And a car that looks like it belongs on The Jetsons or something.

If she became a voice actress, I'd see no point in giving a fuck unless I understood Japanese fluently.
you guys are the two extremes of this forum

And this Toyota deal is pushing me toward your side right now. Only yen is on her mind and all this talk about her becoming voice actress is bull. Just a lucrative part-time job most likely.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.04, 09:06 AM   #1430
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Originally Posted by zordon View Post
you guys are the two extremes of this forum

And this Toyota deal is pushing me toward your side right now. Only yen is on her mind and all this talk about her becoming voice actress is bull. Just a lucrative part-time job most likely.
The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. deadgrandma raises a lot of very solid points.

I'm sure Ringo's voice over was done for the money, and I seriously doubt she's becoming a voice actress. That was mostly idle fantasizing on my part. Although, I think with some training and experience under her belt, she could be great, if she chose to. (IMO this particular voice over was not bad, but definitely not at the level of someone more experienced in the art.)

But money notwithstanding, I just find it hard to criticize her for doing voice over work. I have actively sought out and collected commercial voice overs just like this one by other voice artists. (I'm thinking here in particular of one that dg's countryman Claudia Black did for Mercedes.) If she had done some sort of crappy Toyota song, I could muster some outrage, but I just can't find fault with her doing this per se.