Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.05.27, 02:57 AM   #31
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Great! Thanks a lot Bingo =)
This is definitely awesome and now I feel like the "Byoushou Public" video I made makes more sense lol
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 02:58 AM   #32
merman

merman is an asset to this community

LOL I have to watch FLCL at some point finally. It always seemed so good and original, yet I never got around to actually watch more than the first part...
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 03:05 AM   #33
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I wonder what would happen if instead of The Pillows, they asked Ringo to make the soundtrack for the show.
One thing we know is that both FLCL and The Pillows are very popular in the west, and the connection between the two is likely to be the reason for that popularity. Perhaps it would be a very strong turning-point in her career and we wouldn't have what we have now. Parallel Universe Ringo D:
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 03:11 AM   #34
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

well, for all we know is they could have asked her and she turned them down. we only know what ringo says yes to, obviously, she we just assume she is easy, I mean we see her giving stuff away to TOKIO, Puffy, Tomosaka Rie, songs used for dramas, written from dramas, etc etc, but who knows.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 01:59 PM   #35
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I don't know if anyone here has pointed it out, but if you listen really carefully on "Jazz a Gogo" from Utaite Myori, you can hear Ringo singing Pink Lady's "UFO" in the background during the choruses. It happens later in the song.
I think Ringo must have tried to put "UFO" on the album, since she performed it several times, but was not allowed for some reason. This was her kind of protest. I kind of hesitated bringing this up, because it's possibly copyright infringement... perhaps even touchier than "Rinne Highlight".
Entry№1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 02:50 PM   #36
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Oh yeah, that's been mentioned here before (although it might have been on the old forums and not on EMF). Still pretty crazy.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 04:25 PM   #37
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

where did Ringo perform UFO? Do we have an audio video of this? Also, I listened very hard and closely for this and I couldn't hear it. Can you provide exact times? also which part of the song she is singing?

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.05.27 at 04:29 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 04:49 PM   #38
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
where did Ringo perform UFO? Do we have an audio video of this? Also, I listened very hard and closely for this and I couldn't hear it. Can you provide exact times? also which part of the song she is singing?
So many questions!
I know she performed it at Kyoei Buranko in 1999 (the same concert she famously covered "Creep") and with phase-1 TJ in their amazing medley at Sunset Live 2004. Both videos have been on YouTube at some point or another. I have reason to believe she performed it more often than these two times, but I'm not 100% certain.
If you listen to Jazz a Gogo, she starts at about 1:40 I think. It's the background Ringo chorus singing it as a counter-melody to Ringo scatting. It sounds kinda muffled and distorted. Here's the catch: you can only hear them WHILE the main Ringo scats.
Speaking of old bootlegs, there was an awesome Japanese site I found a few months ago that had a list of all of Ringo's songs (up to about 2004, I think) at what concert she performed them at in a vertical checklist. I lost it, though. The web-page's filename was like "jitenlist.html" or something. I've been using the old official ringo site as a bootleg reference since then.
On a side note, I'm really glad shiinaringo.se is back. I missed it so.
Entry№1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 05:14 PM   #39
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

Shiina Ringo performed UFO once during Gakusha Ecstasy as well :3
JimmyKoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.27, 07:58 PM   #40
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
On a side note, I'm really glad shiinaringo.se is back. I missed it so.
It's not back; only the main page was even taken down (and it's still that way). You just finally discovered the rest of the site was still up!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote