Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.10.24, 12:19 AM   #771
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Sometimes I prefer the Kyouiku version of Genjitsu wo Warau and Omatsuri Sawagi. And Sounan is better, of course. And I like how the Kyouiku version of Ekimae sounds a bit like a video game. From Ghouls and Ghosts or some shit like that. Oh, why couldn't they have produced the album properly...:-/
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.24, 01:20 AM   #772
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Maybe it was on purpose, they made heaps of mistakes so that they got educated by them
Old 2011.10.24, 07:14 AM   #773
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Calling Kimura Kaela anything BUT Jpop is crazy! She -is- Jpop, even if some people are uncomfortable with the idea that Jpop can actually be good music.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.24, 08:16 AM   #774
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

deadgrandma,
you're onto something, there.

"Education" was a learning experience of how not to record an album.
Old 2011.10.24, 08:18 AM   #775
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

It's all Jpop, and there is no Jpop.
I would put dance-pop at the head of the list.
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.24, 11:02 AM   #776
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
The arrangement of the song is just as important as the melody or lyrics. It's not an afterthought. When a song reaches a true synthesis of lyrics, composition, and arrangement, you have a solid song.
I agree. It's not that the arrangement is some kind of clothing that goes above the actual composition, I think it's composition itself. Arrangement is often as important as the melody and can determine the overall atmosphere of the song to me.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.25, 05:05 PM   #777
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

I thought this was settled by the music industry years ago; everything Japanese is J-Pop, regardless of genre. Go download a Japanese album off of iTunes and tell me that's not true (I actually have no idea if this still applies, been a long time since I downloaded anything legally).

On composition vs. arrangement: You have to figure though, composition for the majority of music comes down to only three things, melody, chord structure and rhythm. Literally every other aspect of the song is determined in the arrangement, and that, I think, is what really makes-or-breaks it. It's a big reason why I'm not a fan of Carnation. Sure, it has a decent melody, but the arrangement is shit, or at least boring as all hell.

All a good composition comes down to is a good idea. It takes a good arrangement as well to make the song great - also why I would say Kameda is probably just as responsible than Shiina, if not more, for the greatness of Muzai Moratorium.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.25, 05:11 PM   #778
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

SG says "Alternative" on the first press sticker :-p
Old 2011.10.26, 11:04 AM   #779
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
You brought up something i feel like I need to point out. In my conversations with Maou particularly in the past, we talked about the whole reason that KZK seems to be favored is because the arrangements are so inventive, and that somehow means, since the material can be re-arrranged and not be memorable, the material is somehow lesser.
I don't remember any of this.

I remember discussing KSK being overrated and loved because of its arrangement, but I don't remember saying anything about the bolded part. I recall saying the fancy arrangement of KSK didn't make the songs better than MM/SS while you spouted some nonsense about KSK having different structures from the songs on MM/SS. I also remember saying several times over the years that the EM arrangements are better than the KSK arrangements. That doesn't make the other "not memorable" or "lesser" either.

I'm going to stick to my assessment that KSK is overrated because of its arrangement. The melodies and song structures are no different/better than MM/SS and I really could live without stuff like Ukigumo's "Derp de derp" in Torikoshi Kurou. Or maybe a vacuum cleaner at the beginning of Tadashii Machi instead of feedbacking guitars really would have made the song better.
Old 2011.10.26, 03:31 PM   #780
deadgrandma

KSK is favored subliminally cause it won't/hasn't dated as quickly as the others cept SG which can't date/isn't favoured cause it's already made to sound oldies (which is totally my bag baby).

Well that's my bullshit theory anyway.

Lots of people are put off by the SJDAJGKJGKJKGJADJGJ production of SS too. I've heard many newer fans who got in from KSK say MM is too pop.

I'm gonna leave TJ albums out of this cause they're not relevant to what I'm trying to say, though I cannot articulate what I mean properly.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.10.26 at 03:34 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote