Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.05.07, 03:32 PM   #11
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Oh, Kprov. Clearly its time for me to make another thread.

Old 2007.05.07, 11:44 PM   #12
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

Mariah Carey's first cassette, whatever her debut was called.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.07, 11:57 PM   #13
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

I was given my first CD for my 7th birthday or something like that, it was a single by Cajsa-Stina Åkerström (a Swedish singer/songwriter)... And then it was Spice Girls of course, when I was 8 or 9.

The first Japanese CD: Shouso Strip, limited edition, when I was 14. And life hasn't been the same since
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.08, 05:36 AM   #14
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

this is a shame
but here, every child of my era liked a singer called Xuxa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuxa
since I don't remember since when...I liked her
When I was 2 years I already did have all her released stuff... and this still until 95 when I went to the way of that classic oldie songs like dancing queen, flashdance, I will survive... and a fenomena on brazilian pop culture mamonas assassinas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamonas_Assassinas ... but they all died

in 97/98 I started with spice girls and Titanic OST and after it brazilian rock bands like Legião urbana http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legi%C3%A3o_Urbana ,
raimundos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raimundos ,
charlie brown jr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brown_Jr..
and o rappa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Rappa
after it I went to the dance music... don't remember any name
and finally after it it was ayumi, utada and all that mainstream stuff until I reach the apple
I talked too much O_O
of course there was a lot more things that I heard but I just put in this list the "favorites of the moment"

this post shows the brazilian mainstream tastes on the last years, so if you were interested...
I'm not pround of my way into the music XD
I think now my taste is far better

渾て獨りぼっちだから

Last edited by Lena-chan : 2007.05.08 at 05:43 AM.
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.08, 06:57 AM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Oh my god! Xuxa??!! =D

I totally remember Xuxa, I used to watch her show alls da time when I was super little!
Old 2007.05.08, 07:01 AM   #16
Canto

Canto has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Do you even consider Spice Girls britpop?...We say Britpop to refer to Blur/Suede here.
I used to be a huge boy band fan in my junior middle school ages...my first album was 98 Degrees' "98 Degrees & Rising". I thought they got good harmony and easy-listening music and was obsessed with them for quite a while. They're one of the artists that has done greatest influence on my life.
Canto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.08, 07:08 AM   #17
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

My first cd was purchased in 1998 (I was 13; in 6th grade..??). It was the 1995 album by Michael W. Smith, a Christian singer who I still listen to today. Apparently I had a late start in listening to music. Gotta catch up!
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.08, 12:15 PM   #18
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

My first disc was a LP single of the Scorpions. My first and last LP cookie. Next was... either Kill'em all by Metallica, or Nevermind by Nirvana, I can't really remember.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.08, 12:25 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

Originally Posted by Canto View Post
Do you even consider Spice Girls britpop?...We say Britpop to refer to Blur/Suede here.
I used to be a huge boy band fan in my junior middle school ages...my first album was 98 Degrees' "98 Degrees & Rising". I thought they got good harmony and easy-listening music and was obsessed with them for quite a while. They're one of the artists that has done greatest influence on my life.
When I think of "britpop" I definitely think the era of bands you mentioned. Them Oasis, Pulp, Supergrass (to a lamer extent): that's britpop. Spice Girls was certainly pop, and definitely British, but not "britpop."
Its like calling bands like Bush or Garbage "grunge." -- or calling a Britpop band "grunge" for that matter.

Spice Girls and their wave proceeded the britpop / lollapalooza wave in the mid-90's.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.05.08 at 12:28 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.08, 01:34 PM   #20
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

When I was a wee young'un - less than 10, probably - my parents listened to country, so that's what I listened to. Then they started listening to Christian music, and so did I. I received some CDs as gifts over the years (Good Burger and Space Jam soundtracks are the only substantial ones I can remember), but the first CD I really pursued myself was "LIVE: Proof that the Youth are Revolting" by Five Iron Frenzy, which I received for Christmas 1999. I listened to Five Iron exclusively until 2001 or so, then I got into The Vines, The Hives, The Strokes, The White Stripes, so on and so on...then back to Five Iron Frenzy.

Around 2002, I discovered Kazaa and downloaded whatever happened to be on a local "alternative" rock station, then I once again went back to Five Iron. Summer '03, I decided that since FIF was a Christian ska band, I might as well look into some more ska, so I downloaded a few songs from Kazaa (Catch 22, The Aquabats, Skankin' Pickle, Buck-O-Nine, etc), and that prompted my ska phase, which lasted up until late 2005/early 2006, when I got into They Might Be Giants, whom I obsessed over through the summer of '06.

Late '06, I heard Melt-Banana perform the ending theme to one of the episodes of Perfect Hair Forever (on Adult Swim) and bought one of their albums for the novelty of it (now I actually enjoy Melt-Banana, as opposed to just listening to it and going "wow, this is really weird!"). Eventually, I further explored noise and got into Merzbow, Lightning Bolt, other noise groups (some electronica as well).

Then I got really into J-Drama (thank Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon), and that snowballed into Japanese music and eventually Shiina Ringo.

And that is my entire musical life.