Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.02.02, 07:02 PM   #381
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

The previous two posts left me completely baffled until I did a little searching. Here is some info in English, just in case anyone else was similarly perplexed.
Old 2009.02.02, 09:18 PM   #382
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I just saw my new favorite movie of 2008: "Stuck."

If you haven't seen "Stuck" yet, then you've got something to look forward to. This movie pushes things just one step beyond what you're ready to watch.

The premise is based on a true story: a female nursing assistant has a night on the town, gets high on pot and Ecstasy, gets in her car, and then crashes into a homeless man crossing the street. The car clips the guy at the knees, and he flies over the front hood, face first into the windshield, where he is, well, stuck.

Instead of taking him to a hospital, which would publicize the case and likely put her in jail (and uh, she can forget that promotion at the nursing home), she drives back to her house *with the homeless guy still half-in, half-out of her front windshield* and parks it in her enclosed garage, where he is *still alive*, bleeding and starving to death. A battle for survival ensues.

This movie is scary, bloody, funny, and here and there, kinda sneakily profound about how we rationalize seemingly insane acts of cruelty.
Old 2009.02.03, 12:59 AM   #383
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

on the american beauty front:

check out revolutionary road along with american beauty, sam mendes did them both, albeit a decade apart or so. I loved American Beauty when it came out but it is one of those movies that doesn't stand the test of time. The themes present in the movies do stand up, but something about the presentation and the fact that it has been beaten to death in various comedic and cliched forms since then has kind of killed it's appeal to me.

I went to go see Revolutionary Road and immediately got an American Beauty vibe, it make sense since it is the same director. It explores some similar territory, albeit in a completely different era, and that in and of itself makes for a more interesting narrative. The performances were top notch and the entire thing was just brutal. You guys should check it out.
Old 2009.02.03, 03:21 AM   #384
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

@20th Century Boys

I've yet to watch the first movie. It seems it has already appeared on the net, but without english subs. The japanese DVD doesn't come with english subs either, that's why I didn't buy it. However, the Honk-Kong DVD comes with english subtitles and is much more cheaper so I was thinking about buying. The only thing I'm afraid is if they are engrish like those famous Star Wars subs...
I wonder if there's a chance of it being released outside of Japan.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.02.03 at 09:01 AM.
Old 2009.02.03, 08:47 AM   #385
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
@20th Century Boys

I've yet to watch the first movie. It seems it has already appeared on the net, but without english subs. The japanese DVD doesn't come with english subs either, that's why I didn't buy it. However, the Honk-Kong DVD comes with english subtitles and is much more cheaper so I was thinking about buying. The only thing I'm afraid is that they are engrish like those famous Star Wars subs...
I wonder if there's a chance of it being released outside of Japan.
do want
Old 2009.02.03, 04:37 PM   #386
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm sure a few people taped the tv screening last week? But it's full of cm's in the worst places.
Old 2009.02.07, 04:57 AM   #387
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Paco and the Magical Picture Book

for ppl who loves Shimotsuma Monogatari and Memories of Matsuko

completely off topic

Jonny, I am somewhat familiar with 江古田(Ekoda).
I went several times to live house Buddy and tearoom Flying Teapot.

(and I accidentally found on Buddy schedule
2/13(fri) Appa, 2/16(mon) Hasegawa Kiyoshi
3/27(fri) Hasegawa Kiyoshi, 3/28(sat) Appa
)

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2009.03.09 at 06:29 PM.
Old 2009.02.20, 05:36 PM   #388
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Ai Rock Yuu

Kenji: (from manga)
Rock has no definition...
There's nothing that says this isn't.
But...But...I...I can't...
I won't call this rock.

This song was performed by Nightmare and sounded fine.
So if Urasawa tells via Kenji that this is not rock,
what was he actually meant ?
He just dislike V-kei or something else?
Old 2009.03.06, 07:23 AM   #389
MortAd

MortAd pleased at least somebody

Yesterday I went to see Watchmen...

I have to say, I wasn´t expecting too much on this film... The comic is the BEST thing I have ever read in comics, but since this was a film by the guy who made 300 (a movie a didn´t like at all), I just didn´t knew what to expect... But in the end the move was quite good... Well, it´s not as good as the comic, but I can say it´s a nice adaptation of a quite complex story... Of course it could have been better, but it has very nice moments... The only I can complain about it´s the soundtrack... Except for two or three songs, there rest was a real mess...

Something makes me think that Snyder did 300 the way he did just to get a succesful blockbuster film so he could get his hands on Watchmen, because the way he directs the movies is VERY diferent... It´s like he likes 300, but he LOVES Watchmen... That´s good, since I believe that the reason why the movie didn´t suck as much as it could have...

Apart from that, there were two thing that made me enjoy the movie more... The fact that all the people around seemed to be expecting something like X-Men, because their reactions were very particular... And also the fact that there were A LOT OF KIDS, and it was very funny to sense that their parents were really troubled with some scenes...

Man, Carla Gugino should have been Silk Spectre II...

MyLastFM
Old 2009.03.07, 12:52 PM   #390
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The Union: The business behind getting high

This is not a stoner movie, it's a critical documentary cannabis, focusing on the industry in British Columbia and also the unfair illegalisation of cannabis, arguably one of the most useful plants on the planet.

Watch it, and I'm sure you'll come out of it thinking differently.