Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.02.29, 06:14 PM   #971
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

@TurtleFu: The music was awesome. It's not like they were lipsyncing to recorded tracks. This is a fucking SHOW, and so I'd think it is completely legitimate to consider the visual aspects of the performance as well. I don't care what anybody thinks of Ayumi's music but that woman knows how to put up a GRATE show. Utada is also a bad example - she has costume changes and lights and shit as well. This sounds like such a trivial and random complaint.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 06:19 PM   #972
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I am so disappointed with all of this.
See, Ringo has always differentiated herself from other Japanese singers by NOT having her concerts be a giant circus with a million distractions from the music itself. Ringo's concerts have always been about, first and foremost, the MUSIC. Yes, even GX with the Heart Monitor, and even JCHI (considering all the bullshit was only added in post-production). But this? TONS of costumer changes, pointless visual effects, light shows, video clips. What about the MUSIC!?
Why can't we just have a concert where Ringo plays music and doesn't bother with all the distracting bullshit? She's not fucking Ayumi Hamasaki. Even Utada knows to have one short video clip in the beginning and then the rest of the concert is about MUSIC.
This is Phase 2/nu-shiina were talking about, where the wardrobe changes are more accurately documented than the fucking setlist.
Old 2012.02.29, 06:24 PM   #973
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
This is Phase 2/nu-shiina were talking about, where the wardrobe changes are more accurately documented than the fucking setlist.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

(except, that, well, I'm pretty sure a greater part of the discussion has centred around the music than the other aspects of the performance)
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 07:02 PM   #974
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Well, it is a bit hard to describe the music... All the songs seem the same to me. I mean if you asked me, "What did the songs sound like?" I would definitely point you towards the album version. But there are some new stuff like saito neko orchestra. Those are the ones that we pointed out.

I will repeat the point again. THIS IS A SHOW. You have the visuals too which are extremely important! Would you rather have a live radio than a true concert?
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 07:03 PM   #975
kanzaki

kanzaki pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
I think it was denpan tsuushin. My memory of the concert is failing soon...
I dunno, I'm pretty sure the ending was Handsome sugite...

Also, the orchestra did a cover of the theme song for the NES game Ice Climbers (I think). Which was totally random but totally cool!!

Last edited by kanzaki : 2012.02.29 at 07:11 PM.
kanzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 07:05 PM   #976
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by rainmountain View Post
I love the performance of Time Capsule, my favorite part of the concert.
It was just Ringo, Uki and Izawa, right?
Old 2012.02.29, 07:08 PM   #977
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
Well, it is a bit hard to describe the music... All the songs seem the same to me. I mean if you asked me, "What did the songs sound like?" I would definitely point you towards the album version.
If that's really the case then it must not have been a very good performance. *or at least noteworthy* --EDIT performance wise, like, musically.

I once went to a Regina Spektor concert, whom I had only the vaguest familiarity with at the time. I can still tell you about the performance just as I could have moments afterward (excepting inability to name the songs.)

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.02.29 at 07:26 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 07:47 PM   #978
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

If that's really the case then it must not have been a very good performance. *or at least noteworthy* --EDIT performance wise, like, musically.

I once went to a Regina Spektor concert, whom I had only the vaguest familiarity with at the time. I can still tell you about the performance just as I could have moments afterward (excepting inability to name the songs.)
I can't remember how the music sounded like after only 1 listen, that is my flaw. So I choose to describe what I saw which is starting to disappear from my mind too.

I have really really bad short-term memory... I can only pick out around 5 memorable songs

The song of ice cream was a clever way to start Oishii Kisetsu as it is related to ice cream too.

But the lyrics went some like "ice cream is delicious, let's eat ice cream." basing that on my poor command on the Japanese language.

The cinema promised us eng. subtitles which was not there at all. So I really missed the commentary, the talking portions of the shows, the lyrics of the new songs and the slideshows.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 07:50 PM   #979
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I am so disappointed with all of this.
See, Ringo has always differentiated herself from other Japanese singers by NOT having her concerts be a giant circus with a million distractions from the music itself. Ringo's concerts have always been about, first and foremost, the MUSIC. Yes, even GX with the Heart Monitor, and even JCHI (considering all the bullshit was only added in post-production). But this? TONS of costumer changes, pointless visual effects, light shows, video clips. What about the MUSIC!?
Why can't we just have a concert where Ringo plays music and doesn't bother with all the distracting bullshit? She's not fucking Ayumi Hamasaki. Even Utada knows to have one short video clip in the beginning and then the rest of the concert is about MUSIC.
Discovery was flashy, and I still thought it was great. Ringo Expo '08 was flashy, and I still thought it was great. I really don't see the point of complaining about this show's flashiness when it is Tokyo Jihen's LAST TOUR. That's a HUGE DEAL.

Maybe I'm biased cause I find the costume changes interesting, and I like fashion & costume design blah blah blah ad nauseam, but naturally, I'm just a very visual person so when fantastic music is combined with fantastic visuals it's like my senses are exploding which is pretty great if you ask me.

extra note: and in response to Tokyo Jihad saying "if you don't remember the music then it must not have been memorable", I am not that great at remembering differences in music when I go to concerts unless they are pretty distinct. I went to see St. Vincent once, and I thought it was absolutely wonderful. Could I tell you much about the setlist? Probably not. But I could tell you what the stage looked like, and I could draw what dress Annie was wearing. I also paid attention to her mannerisms and the way she moved. That's just the information I'm more inclined to store in my head.

Last edited by BlueApple : 2012.02.29 at 07:56 PM.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 08:14 PM   #980
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kanzaki View Post
I dunno, I'm pretty sure the ending was Handsome sugite...

Also, the orchestra did a cover of the theme song for the NES game Ice Climbers (I think). Which was totally random but totally cool!!
Not only a cover of it, they played the real thing more or less (and its name is Ice Climber).

That ice cream song was kind of a sequel to that whole retro game theme that started during the previous-previous tour.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote