Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.09.21, 06:11 PM   #191
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Just pressed play on the new CHVRCHES... here we go

Feedback: pretty similar to the original album, but for this band, it's not such a bad thing. It's still sweet as sugar and you can feel your teeth rot when listening.

Probably will fare better in the endurance/lasting test to their competition's (Purity Ring) latest album. That will take a couple weeks to decide on though, but I'm having a blast right now.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.22 at 05:39 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.23, 04:34 PM   #192
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So just when I thought perhaps Joe Pernice wasn't going to do anything all year, he announced a collab album with Budo, the producer of Mackelmore.

It is called Roger Lion, came out on September 18 and sounds well, damn amazing to me.

Gonna grab it I reckon.

A Dead Man's Song

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.23 at 06:19 PM.
Old 2015.09.24, 05:34 PM   #193
deadgrandma

"Relapse is excited to announced that Boris with Merzbow have completed recording a new collaborative album! The 150-minute long 'Gensho' (Japanese for "phenomenon") consists of one disk from each artist, both of which are intended to be played simultaneously. The album will see a February 2016 release via Relapse.

Boris with Merzbow have also announced a special one-off show in Tokyo:
Nov 27 Tokyo, JP Fever

Get the full details at bit.ly/BorisMerzbowAnnounce"

So yeah, not really 2015 music, but something anyway :-p

A little extra:

"The BORIS tracks are completely new reinventions of some of the band's classic songs, while the MERZBOW songs are new compositions. BORIS and MERZBOW have each contributed exactly the same amount of music, with the two discs intended to be played at the same time on physical speakers at varying volumes so that the listener can experience their own "gensho/phenomenon" every time. The artists also commented, "Of course you can enjoy both albums separately, as a separate work." Gensho is slated for a February 2016 release via Relapse Records."

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.24 at 05:39 PM.
Old 2015.09.24, 06:04 PM   #194
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Does Boris ever stop?! They should receive some kind of lifetime achievement award for the sheer amount of work they've released. It's almost always consistent.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.26, 11:28 AM   #195
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^God I am so annoyed. Will be in Japan at that time but will be in Kyoto that part of the trip. HAD I KNOWN about the Boris gig I would have stayed in Tokyo a little longer. Grrr.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.27, 06:27 PM   #196
deadgrandma

Maron Hamada album trailer

Oh boy, hard not to feel a tiny bit embarrassed for Ringo right now...
Old 2015.09.27, 07:04 PM   #197
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Why? It's not like they compete with each other and their styles of music are much different. Maron has never strayed very far from her gimmick either. Maron's voice is also way harder to enjoy on a casual level IMO.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.27, 07:49 PM   #198
deadgrandma

You dont think it's a little bit discouraging that Ringo has for years been trying to perfect this kind of pulp jazz cabaret sound and yet Hamada has been around for a few years and has mastered it?

Sure, Hamada may not have branched out too far, nor do I think she will, but damn, I'd much rather listen to her breed of it than Ringo's Expo 14 blandness... Maybe it's just me be smarmy but I really find Hamada to be far more thrilling in her delivery and I think its a fairly similar comparison that you'd be kidding to say you don't see...

As for the casual voice sentiment, I think you know by now that its go hard or go home for me. But I dunno, Hamada has a pretty easy voice to listen to I reckon, one of the only Japanese voices my anti-Japanese music friends can handle/wont complain about.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.27 at 07:55 PM.
Old 2015.09.27, 08:18 PM   #199
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ why would it be discouraging at all? Maron does this style and does it well, Ringo does her own style (which ventures beyond the cabaret style) and does it well.

It's not like I listen to Ringo just because I want to listen to cabaret-style music. That would almost be like disregarding KSK, all of Jihen, and half of the SUNNY album.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.27, 09:32 PM   #200
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Who says she hasn't perfected it? IMO Ringo does cabaret extremely well, but there's a lot more to her than that. Her strength has always been her versatility.