Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.11.08, 01:09 PM   #1451
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
Her voice sounds so good in the video! Perhaps the person in charge is just a fan and asked her to do it. If I had that kind of decision-making ability I'd do the same, no doubt.
I have to admit, I've had this fantasy too.

But unless she really wants to be a seiyuu full time, I'd still rather people appreciated her for her music. IMO she's one of the great singers of our age, and a few mediocre singles cannot take that away from her.

ETA: Also, please tell me that after 11/25 you're going to give us a full report?

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.11.08 at 01:15 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.08, 03:02 PM   #1452
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
It's really wonderful that people are recognizing her more and more, and not just as The Kinda Weird Lady Who Did Koko Kiss and Gips and then Dressed Like a Nurse and Broke Stuff.
Yep, now recognized as that Kinda Weird Lady who did that Coke ad.

Are you really a long term fan? Cause I'm having a hard time believing anyone would defend voiceover work so passionately, wtf. I mean, she went in, read a script, got a paycheck, went home. There's nothing more to it than that. *Edited out last part because unnecessarily harsh*

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.11.08 at 03:08 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.08, 05:10 PM   #1453
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ DG I had the weirdest dream that you set up an invite only FB group as a safe space for people to legitimately b1tch about SR without facing censure from fans, and that I somehow got in, and proceeded to delete every post on it. Lol.

Strange night; must be the coffee.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.08, 05:20 PM   #1454
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm still not seeing why this is a big deal either way.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.08, 05:27 PM   #1455
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
^ DG I had the weirdest dream that you set up an invite only FB group as a safe space for people to legitimately b1tch about SR without facing censure from fans, and that I somehow got in, and proceeded to delete every post on it. Lol.

Strange night; must be the coffee.
Good to know my influence is getting to the point that people are dreaming about me.

My work isn't for nothing afterall!
Old 2015.11.08, 08:11 PM   #1456
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Are you really a long term fan? Cause I'm having a hard time believing anyone would defend voiceover work so passionately, wtf. I mean, she went in, read a script, got a paycheck, went home. There's nothing more to it than that. *Edited out last part because unnecessarily harsh*
My feeling on Ringo personally doing voice over is kind of, ehh, whatever. I don't see that it says that much about her career as a musician, at least not the way some of the commissioned songs do.

However, voice acting matters, damn it. (I should trademark that phrase.) Voice over work absolutely *is* an art, even in the commercial sphere, and it is one that IMO is practiced well by far too few who actually attempt it. In this sense, Ringo's voice over is quite intriguing to me.

So yeah, I can see passionately defending voice over work, in general.
Old 2015.11.08, 08:19 PM   #1457
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
I have to admit, I've had this fantasy too.

But unless she really wants to be a seiyuu full time, I'd still rather people appreciated her for her music. IMO she's one of the great singers of our age, and a few mediocre singles cannot take that away from her.

ETA: Also, please tell me that after 11/25 you're going to give us a full report?
I always dreamed of having some kind of self-autobiographical animation and getting Ringo to do my voice-over... even though we sound not even the slightest bit alike.

And I agree! Her music is incredible just in terms of composition alone (from the point of someone who has little to no diligence or musical aptitude at least...). I'm seeing quite a few younger artists reference her as their inspiration in at least some aspect--like chanMari, the keyboardist of Gesu no Kiwami Otome (who I think cited RingoJihen as one of the reasons she took such a strong interest in music). Especially in contrast to other contemporary pop music, I feel it's easy to see why she's such a stand-out to so many listeners and not just for her voice. The fact is that a majority of the public probably doesn't have the same musical base for comparison as a lot of people here. This isn't a good or bad thing. It's just the way it is.

And... I can? Though since I'm a millennial and all, it will just be the track name followed by a different gif of someone crying :,(

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Yep, now recognized as that Kinda Weird Lady who did that Coke ad.

I'm glad the weirdness hasn't faded And I am indeed! Like a lot of people I've met, I only have a decade or so? under my belt. The voice over thing is just something I've personally thought about before. I'm not really defending it, since ultimately whether or not she takes these kinds of jobs is her choice. It makes me wonder what kinds of offers she has refused in the past though, since I imagine she'd have been in bigger demand in the early days unless she was just Too Weird for TV then.

I don't think it means anything in particular either way--just her doing her job, like you said. I have a very strong tendency to go gooey over about anything she does though. It's not a judgment on anyone who thinks it was useless or silly, but someone had to do the talking so I'm glad it was someone who's voice I like to listen to.

Anyway, longpost is long.
Old 2015.11.08, 08:26 PM   #1458
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

As for some "News" (which you have probably heard, but I'm only looking at pre-approved pages right now):

Hata and Kameda both went to the NHK show, but on different days I think. Hata on Friday, Kameda on Saturday.

Hata gushed about how Ukigmo and HzM are geniuses (he's said previously that he last went drinking with Ringo late last year or earlier this year iir, but he seems to have a lot a lot a lot of admiration for the Jihen musicians, and always calls them geniuses ) and seemed really excited to have seen the show.

Kameda also said that the show was amazing. I heard that a lot of people were able to approach him, and that he talked and shook hands with a lot of fans who saw him at the venue.
Old 2015.11.08, 08:29 PM   #1459
deadgrandma

What would be more interesting to know, is if they had to pay for their seats
Old 2015.11.08, 08:32 PM   #1460
deadgrandma

And Gesu No... The band that swooped in like vultures to pick at Jihen's wretched corpse while it was still warm

Too close in style, sound and image for comfort.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.11.08 at 08:36 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote