Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.05.08, 12:32 AM   #491
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Mine arrived the other day, but I haven't watched it yet. Here's what the Ringohan edition looks like:

There's only one horse sticker there. The other one is just the same design on a flimsy piece of paper.

Here's a close up of the other sticker.

The blacked out area has your member number and name on it. I think shipments were delayed a few days for Ringohan members just to print that little thing out.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.08, 01:05 PM   #492
mrnarse

Newspaper ad for the Miss Hokusai anime and her theme song:

Last edited by mrnarse : 2015.05.08 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2015.05.09, 07:21 AM   #493
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Damn my foot fetish! When it comes to Ringo I'm just as creepy as those AKB48 fanboys
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.10, 05:39 PM   #494
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Revisited Hiizuru tokoro again and started close reading the lyrics. What a stellar monster of songwriting. I thought I liked the lyrics (or what I understood of them) before, but having come across some translations I realise that I've missed certain nuances that now make me like the songs even more. Check them out here: http://shinitakashi.blogspot.jp/1990...os-lyrics.html

My favourite is undoubtedly Ima. What a tight, tight song of sex and poetry; the metaphor of time deployed so beautifully. But Shizukanaru gyakushu and Arikitarina onna (which was certainly my least favourite of the new songs) are also spectacular.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.10, 05:51 PM   #495
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Just out of curiosity, how much does Ima variate from it's English version of Toutakai? I often find her English versions are WILDLY different from the fan translations to the point of having a completely different meaning (I can understand having to take liberties to keep the flow on the English version, but damn do some of them change their whole theme at times).

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.05.10 at 05:57 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.10, 07:38 PM   #496
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

The 2 versions of Ima are quite different if you go line by line, though the overall message about 2 people who are opposites, and the time metaphor, are still there in some form. This is of course based on what I can make out of her not always eloquent English singing =p

Many of her English songs are actually very close to their Japanese counterparts. la salle de bain is almost a literal translation of Yokushitsu (from what I can remember).
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.10, 08:02 PM   #497
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The tower records towel is a decent size/looks pretty cool. A last.fm user linked me this pic.
Old 2015.05.10, 10:25 PM   #498
mrnarse

^Huh, they must follow the same guy on twitter as I do. I just saw the same pic posted on there earlier.

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Many of her English songs are actually very close to their Japanese counterparts. la salle de bain is almost a literal translation of Yokushitsu (from what I can remember).
I can definitely can tell on that song, even with my intermediate skills. "洗って切って水の中" is literally "wash me cut me I'm underwater"

Last edited by mrnarse : 2015.05.10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 2015.05.10, 11:18 PM   #499
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
The 2 versions of Ima are quite different if you go line by line, though the overall message about 2 people who are opposites, and the time metaphor, are still there in some form. This is of course based on what I can make out of her not always eloquent English singing =p

Stem also seems to stay fairly close to Kuki.

IMO her English lyrics are generally pretty good; she obviously has far more than a basic understanding of the language, and she is able to use colloquialisms and create metaphors that make sense. Stem, for example, I think is actually quite poetic.

Her pronunciation isn't bad either - for one, she's the only Japanese singer I can think of who can consistently differentiate between th (as in theory) and th (as in them) - and not pronounce either as "s". When things get confusing is when the meter of the song does not quite match up to the natural rhythm that one would expect the English lyrics to have. Sometimes this results in mishearing one word as another that would be a more natural fit (e.g. "Up there are heaven, now, but it will not wait" instead of "Up there, a heaven..."). Also sometimes, words blend together that should be better differentiated, due to a lack of emphasis on terminal consonants.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.05.10 at 11:24 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.10, 11:24 PM   #500
deadgrandma

What's her excuse for being almost indecipherable on the English tracks on Reimport and Sunny then? Still can't tell what she's saying on JL005 without lyrics in front of me