Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.04.17, 02:45 AM   #1
Simon

Simon has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Default Kate Bush

Kate Bush - Oh England My Lionheart

Kate Bush for queen! Anyone here like her? :D

... WHY IS THE EMBEDDED YOUTUBE WINDOW NOT WORKING??? Ugh. Here then!

Edit: Never mind. <3

Last edited by Simon : 2009.04.17 at 11:40 AM.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.17, 03:13 AM   #2
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

[ yt] xakoLYwokBo [ /yt]

That's how it works, you only insert the video code and not the complete URL.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.17, 03:28 AM   #3
Simon

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
[ yt] xakoLYwokBo [ /yt]

That's how it works, you only insert the video code and not the complete URL.
Thanks, hahaha. Anyway, back on topiccccccc. Anyone? :)

Last edited by Simon : 2009.04.17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 2009.04.17, 04:11 AM   #4
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

I started listening to her stuff because of neko listening to The Kick Inside in the clt thread, so I'm a recent fan.
I love her a lot!
It's a little daunting though to discover an artist when they already have like 7 albums out. I started with The Kick Inside and Aerial. And I tried my hand at Wuthering Heights at karaoke, oh god XD

Also, I love your M.I.A. avatar, but I find it strange that as a new EM member, you haven't posted in any SR related thread yet ^^
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.17, 05:29 AM   #5
Simon

Originally Posted by zarya View Post
I started listening to her stuff because of neko listening to The Kick Inside in the clt thread, so I'm a recent fan.
I love her a lot!
It's a little daunting though to discover an artist when they already have like 7 albums out. I started with The Kick Inside and Aerial. And I tried my hand at Wuthering Heights at karaoke, oh god XD

Also, I love your M.I.A. avatar, but I find it strange that as a new EM member, you haven't posted in any SR related thread yet ^^
Mmmm.. well, I don't think you have to rush things with the albums. There's good stuff in all of them. My least favorite is probably Aerial, but I haven't really given that a chance yet. My favorite album is probably The Kick Inside, but I really recommend Hounds of Love (everyone's favorite) and The Sensual World.. if you're more.. sensual! That one's not very appreciated, but I love it. The title track is awesome, and This Woman's Work is one of her best songs ever.

And yeah, I'm kind of a casual Shiina Ringo fan, I just thought it seemed like a nice forum. :]

(Thanks, I like my avatar too!)

Last edited by Simon : 2009.04.17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 2009.04.17, 05:54 AM   #6
merman

merman is an asset to this community

And how could nobody mention The Dreaming? THAT's a piece of art. Her peak along with Hounds of Love, but more balanced.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.17, 07:22 AM   #7
clowezra

clowezra is headed in the right direction

I love this woman so much. I grew up with her, and own pretty much all of her albums. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but Hounds of Love still stands out as her best album to me. The Ninth Wave is simply perfect.
Old 2009.04.17, 11:12 AM   #8
Simon

^ I didn't grow up with her, but I remember one of the first mp3's my father downloaded in Napster days was Wuthering Heights.. and I found it very cool in a crazy way. I was probably like 10, then one day a couple of years ago I just decided to download her best album after re-discovering Wuthering Heights.. and I fell in love. Hahaha. And then, I downloaded more.. and I loved that too.

And then, I got this:

My treasure. The Kick Inside up until The Sensual World + two CDs with B-sides, live performances and remixes! I'm only missing The Red Shoes and Aerial, and I don't even like those albums a lot, so I don't mind. Hahaha.

Originally Posted by merman View Post
And how could nobody mention The Dreaming? THAT's a piece of art. Her peak along with Hounds of Love, but more balanced.
A lot of fans seem to love that album! Personally I can feel that it can be a bit too odd/complex for people. I enjoy it though. The beginning of "There Goes a Tenner" is really funny, me and a friend of mine used to make fun of that.

"OK. REMEMBUHHH."

It's a good album, but not one of her best for me. The coolest song on The Dreaming has to be "Suspended in Gaffa" though, listening to it feels like being on a pirate ship on the big blue, lmao. I think a factor in people liking it might be because that it's the most extreme/experimental of her works.. and when it finally grows on you, you absolutely love it.

What I like about Kate Bush is that she's earnest, insane, weird and absolutely lovable... all at the same time. Her music feels very human, somehow.

I've always had a love for a good melody, and especially in her earlier years she was good (or chose to focus) at that. That's a reason why I love The Kick Inside so much. I also love piano and strings.. so it's pretty much an orgasmic album, pretty much every song is amazing.

L'amour Looks Something Like You & James And The Cold Gun <3333

Last edited by Simon : 2009.04.17 at 11:35 AM.
Old 2009.04.17, 01:02 PM   #9
merman

merman is an asset to this community

The Dreaming is a very tough album to get into, at least it was for me. It required a lot of plays before I even started to appreciate it, before that I'd probably say I don't know what the fuss is about. So yeah, it has to grow on you, but it takes time. Note that it also didn't date that much considering it's from 1982, because it doesn't even sound like most 80's music, she really gave that Fairlight synth a workout. The Red Shoes for example dated far worse IMHO. It also sounds pretty creepy to me... more like nightmares than nice dreams
The box set looks awesome, must've been tough to get (and expensive!), I heard these are quite the collector's item.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.17, 01:32 PM   #10
Simon

Originally Posted by merman View Post
The Dreaming is a very tough album to get into, at least it was for me. It required a lot of plays before I even started to appreciate it, before that I'd probably say I don't know what the fuss is about. So yeah, it has to grow on you, but it takes time. Note that it also didn't date that much considering it's from 1982, because it doesn't even sound like most 80's music, she really gave that Fairlight synth a workout. The Red Shoes for example dated far worse IMHO. It also sounds pretty creepy to me... more like nightmares than nice dreams
The box set looks awesome, must've been tough to get (and expensive!), I heard these are quite the collector's item.
I wouldn't necessarily say hard, I got it at one of the biggest online music retailers in Europe (except Amazon). But expensive? I would say so, yes. Luckily, it was a Christmas present!

Currently I'm hooked on "Walk Straight Down The Middle"! RRRRRRYAAHH!!!