Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.06.29, 08:42 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Thumbs up Animal Collective fans here -- surely?

Should know better than to say the word 'fan', but you know what I mean. I imagine that fans of Shiina or Bjork or Radiohead or experimental avant-garde music or whatever may also be interested in the Animal Collective.

I recently listened to Sung Tongs and I love it. Don't have much to say otherwise, but I think this is the beginning of a good thing for me. Going to listen to Strawberry Jam and Merriweather thingy afterwards (The latter is advertised on the London Underground, which is cool).

Here's a taster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6KPDWNAPBU

Great stuff!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.29, 09:43 AM   #2
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

There are a few fans here. Merriweather Post Pavilion is my 2009 album of the year thus far. Strawberry Jam is utterly fantastic too. You're in for a treat listening to those!

You should also check out Panda Bear - Person Pitch. It's a solo album by the founder of Animal Collective and it's possibly the best thing he's done (AC included!).

Not really related, but check out Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest also simply because it's just as brilliant
Old 2009.06.29, 09:56 AM   #3
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Oh, terrific. Will check out those two albums after MPP.

Coincidentally, I was just reading a few interviews and found an interesting quote from one of their interviews which you could apply to Shiina =P:

Pitchfork: Is there a part of you that looks back on that era and thinks it was the work of a much younger person?

BW: Definitely, without a doubt. Maybe more of a twisted person! [all laugh] I think that's the other thing Noah and I were talking about the other day, just in terms of a progression of our records. We definitely have friends who think back to that as a fonder time. For them, that's when we were kind of special and they don't connect so much with what we do anymore. And it's just like, "Well, we aren't really those dudes anymore." We do significantly less drugs, we live different lifestyles, and I don't feel any urge to return to that lifestyle. Therefore, it's kind of hard for me to sympathize with any upset feelings someone might have with us not being the band that sounds like that anymore. That sound is so connected to what it felt like for us to live and be those guys making that music.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.02, 04:22 PM   #4
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Big MPP fan here!!
Also like Strawberry Jam.
Old 2009.07.02, 06:01 PM   #5
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

We had an impromptu "play your music at work" day and two of my coworkers played tracks from MPP and Feels! Everyone really liked them. I have their two latest albums and love them, but I can't get into Person Pitch, save "Comfy in Nautica" and "Bros", which I guess is still a third of the album now that I think about it.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.03, 04:33 AM   #6
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
We had an impromptu "play your music at work" day and two of my coworkers played tracks from MPP and Feels! Everyone really liked them. I have their two latest albums and love them, but I can't get into Person Pitch, save "Comfy in Nautica" and "Bros", which I guess is still a third of the album now that I think about it.
It took me a while to get into Person Pitch. In fact I dismissed it for at least 6 months before giving it a good listen too and now I love it all.