Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.02.25, 04:13 PM   #61
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ You know, I imagine Japanese females like idol groups for totally different reasons to Japanese males/international nerds. So I don't really find the subject of the song 'disappointing'- however... my knowledge about individual idols is pathetic- I find it kinda cool that she likes the 'worst member of Morning Musume ever' haha.

I found an extended translation of all the Zettai Shoujo notes a while back and can't seem to find it now (I will go back on the hunt though). I remember her saying something that she likes the 'oldschool' idol but hates the way it's heading (something like that). So I dunno, I find those 'idol' sounding tracks both a parody and an homage. More than anything though, I find them much stronger tracks than any idol group or artist is putting out at the current time- mainly because they've just got plain stronger writing behind them. Oh and Oomori's voice too, is far more interesting and unconventional too.

I think this line sums it up:
A black-haired girl exactly like my delusions, you are my only idol

Sometimes it's best not to hunt too far into meaning of lyrics- often you get let down because the actual meaning isn't something 'deeper' like you may have come up with for yourself.

Still, as of the current time, those 2 "idol"-esque songs are 2 songs out of her entire discography, and personally, in my least favorites anyway :-p (I've heard the live acoustic versions and I much prefer them in that form too, btw).

EDIT: Can't find the full liner notes thing, but I found this translation of her blog's intro (from Naitoflight's blog):
This is taken from the promotional site above. It’s just a basic little list, but I think it gives a cute reflection Seiko. It’s heartening to read her go so in depth and engage with her fanbase.
Sayumi Michishige, the colour pink, Sanrio, flowers, unhealthy-coloured candy, blood, bras, circular/round things, fluffy beds, idols, guitar-related strings, chords and bows, finely detailed descriptions, cement hardening, sweet things, Febreze, Magical Girls, the fans, rubber rings, mics, Family Mart Spicy Chicken, selfies of girls, convenience stores, 4.44AM, Death Proof, guerrilla (surprise) torrential rain, acrylic paint, people that absolutely face me, Nakano Ropeway, ‘sparkling’ sound effects, rainbow coloured morning glow, a Chinese Chengdu shop in Koenji, before opening a letter, sweet shrimp, guitar, business cards of older female hosts falling in Kabukicho, bath salts changing colour, drawing old men, lives, Daiso (100yen shop chain), Tokyo, low-quality erotic movies, eating ice cream in the bath, one-room (studio apartment), liquid from hotcakes before burning, ravens scrounging at dumping grounds, souvenirs, make-believe despair, 100 yen UFO Catcher, tissues, make-up, taxis, the age 27, strawberry yogurt, Mum, anmitsu coffee houses, girls’ upper arms, purikura, bath towels, dogs, colour tights, music, straighteners, jelly-like things, black dresses, nasal drops, shining things, parks, secret blogs, the punch-line of a dream, twintails, other people’s iPhone cases, Morning Musume.
Dislikes:
Tobacco, space, bandsmen, ignorance, the end of a movie, cleaning, anonymous bad mouthing, all ex-boyfriends, submitting a setlist, dreams about being late for graduation.
Obviously, half of this is joking around, but I kinda sense she's a fair bit into girls :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.25 at 04:29 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.25, 04:19 PM   #62
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Yes, I absolutely agree.
I won't lie, I like idol music. But idols nowadays, the exaggerated facial expressions, the stock poses and movements, the grating and annoying voices, I can't handle that.
Oomori is none of those things, so it's basically idol pop I can actually enjoy.

There's a video of her performing this song with a real idol group and the contrast is so stark. Even if Oomori si marketing herself as an idol, it's really important to note that. She is marketing HERSELF as an idol, usually idols audition/are picked by a producer and controlled from the ground up. A self-made, self-producing idol is almost an oxymoron.

Worst member is just IMO. Sayumi is all looks, no talent. Even in her original audition the producers talked about how she had one of the worst voices he ever heard. So she's coasting by completely on how gorgeous she is. And the other problem is that her stage persona is so grating, purposely exaggerated to be the ultimate feminine idol, really squeaky and annoying. I'm sure she's a nice girl. But she can't sing.

I would rather attempt to understand Oomori as an artist and a performer than create this constructed image in my head that I cling to.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2014.02.25 at 04:25 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.26, 01:49 PM   #63
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

"All ex-boyfriends" made me laugh way more than it should have.
Old 2014.02.26, 02:12 PM   #64
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
"All ex-boyfriends" made me laugh way more than it should have.
I knew Seiko reminded me of having a crazy ex-girlfriend for a reason.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.26, 03:15 PM   #65
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

actually seiko to me is like the crazy new girlfriend who gets jealous and tells me to stop talking to my exes who im on good terms with and friends with, who also embarrasses me making a scene in public and stuff, but shes so good to me that i would never leave, she buys me the shiina ringo 10 anniversary dvd and shit
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.26, 03:23 PM   #66
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I wonder if she means HER ex-boyfriends or ALL men who have been ex-boyfriends... If the latter she's damn picky :p Seriously though, she seems more interested in girls anyway.

Maou, out of curiosity, do you like/dislike/even give a crap about Oomoris albums or just reading through this thread? I cant remember you saying anything about her before. Sorry if I've just forgotten.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.26 at 03:26 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.27, 06:29 AM   #67
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Maybe she is into girls? It might explain her feelings of being an outsider and the PVs for Zettai Shoujo have that story about the relationship between two girls that I find very gentle and realistic and not les-sploitational.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.27, 08:04 AM   #68
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I wonder if she means HER ex-boyfriends or ALL men who have been ex-boyfriends... If the latter she's damn picky :p Seriously though, she seems more interested in girls anyway.
I took it as the latter. We're all the ex-boyfriend of somebody so she dislikes us all.

Maou, out of curiosity, do you like/dislike/even give a crap about Oomoris albums or just reading through this thread? I cant remember you saying anything about her before. Sorry if I've just forgotten.
I don't think I've ever said a word about her on this forum. I'm somewhere between like and love. I'm not quite as enamored with her as the rest of the forum. My main criticism of her is her vocals. Sometimes they sound too out of place to me. It's not that the vocals don't fit the song, but that they stand too far out of the rest of the mix. Almost sounds like it was done in a different location. I'm sure that's kinda the point, but it still bothers me sometimes.

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Maybe she is into girls? It might explain her feelings of being an outsider and the PVs for Zettai Shoujo have that story about the relationship between two girls that I find very gentle and realistic and not les-sploitational.
I'm not sure if I'd say she's actually into girls or if she just finds the subject of girl/girl relationships to be interesting.
Old 2014.02.27, 02:53 PM   #69
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by hoopra View Post
actually seiko to me is like the crazy new girlfriend who gets jealous and tells me to stop talking to my exes who im on good terms with and friends with, who also embarrasses me making a scene in public and stuff, but shes so good to me that i would never leave, she buys me the shiina ringo 10 anniversary dvd and shit
You mean the girl who knows what's best for you, or so she says through remorseful tears as you lick your wounds from her latest demon-claw freakout?

Yeah, I've been there.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.27, 08:20 PM   #70
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Gentle and realistic give or take the bashing/murder and rotting corpse on the porch of the boyfriend right :-p

Rewatch both PVs from Zettai Shoujo a bit more closely if you don't know what I'm talking about.