Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.09.06, 12:21 PM   #1
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction
Default Rant: Why EMI can't market / Upcoming sales for Variety

Since I used to heavily help my friend edit Japanese music pages on thePPN wiki ( http://wiki.theppn.org/Main_Page ) I learned a lot about Japanese record sales, as I've pretty much seen the entire industry's sales for about 2 years; as well, I have seen historical data for many years before that. When EMI announced their album details for Variety, I was shocked. They really fucked up big time.

For some reason, EMI did not make Variety CD+DVD. It is CD only. That was arguably one of the hugest mistakes EMI has made in the history of Shiina Ringo marketing. Having a CD+DVD album increases sales insanely, to that fact that it is so blatantly obvious to anyone that even glances at weekly album sales. For example, a really indies band called POLYSICS actually had their first top 10 ranking because their newest album featured a DVD. Hell, I am willing to say if Hirama Mikio had his album CD+DVD it would sold way better. The point is, the CD+DVD is a long running marketing gimmick that works time and time again.

We all know Adult would not have reached number 1 from Shuraba alone (which I could rant how the more singles an artist releases guarantees huge album sales; releasing just one single will make an album do poorly in sales [KSK is a prime example, compare the singles KSK had to SS]) - it was the fact Adult had a CD+DVD version.

The funny part is the DVD bonus doesn't even have to be anything useful. It could just be a PV, or live footage. It could be 5 minutes of Shiina in the can - the point is, it is viewed as a huge bonus. Look at any new albums you see, and you will find all of them to be CD+DVD. Why EMI did you want to fuck over Jihen?

This brings me to the fact that two big artists are releasing albums either on/a week before Variety hits. The first album is TODAY by Angela Aki. It is of course in CD+DVD format, and being so, it has been at #2 on amazon.co.jp since it was announced. Yes, Angela Aki is the same artist that sells around 10k singles (Tokyo Jihen sells 50k singles). That just shows how a crappy selling artist can beat a good selling artist in sales just by making a smart marketing move. For contrast, Variety has not been over the #40 mark at amazon.co.jp, which definitely shows fans are not keen on having no bonus from the album. Otsuka Ai's album LOVE PiECE (CD+DVD) is also high on the list of amazon.co.jp, and it will definitely slaughter Variety.

In conclusion, while Tokyo Jihen isn't about whoring themselves out for sales, we all will agree that they at least deserve a competent record company that understands how to properly release music. Since Variety lacks a DVD or any major bonus, it will pretty much be viewed at an Utaite Myouri, or "uncompleted" album to buyers due to the fact that it lacks the very much industry standard of having a bonus DVD. Lastly, if EMI doesn’t at least release a radio single next week, it will be the final nail on this coffin's lid.

What do you think on how Tokyo Jihen is being marketed?
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.06, 12:40 PM   #2
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

The CD+DVD editions really help, but I think it has more to do with the fact that it is only available for a LIMITED time. There are many collectors who just love to have limited stuff not only because it comes with something extra, however useless it may be, but it also has limited art/casing, etc. Since there is only a limited amount to get it, you have no choice but to spend the money you were saving right away or more impulsively.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.06, 06:05 PM   #3
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

I agree they screwed up.

Gizagiza style jewel case inlays just don't cut it with me. Especially with this album. This majorly risky album where Ringo isn't even writing any music.

The Education album had two singles with special-cut jewel case inlays too to match the first press of the full album which didn't have limited packaging or a dvd either.

at least we can expect Variety to sell as well as the first TJ album. Ringo has already proven herself in the industry, so she might not care about album sales anymore.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.06, 06:07 PM   #4
HEDOfloe

I don't care about sales either but I would definitely appreciate something cool to come along with my CD as well! I have no idea why they would do this.
Old 2007.09.06, 06:22 PM   #5
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

It'll sell. Maybe theres just no content? Why the eff do you need a "bonus" with the album.

(i thought Adult hit #2, not 1) but to say Adult hit #1 because of the Himitsu dvd thing is a GIGANTIC stretch. I think there's more weight in saying "it sold cuz of DO" than that.
Old 2007.09.06, 06:59 PM   #6
HEDOfloe

I don't NEED a bonus but most artists in japan seem to release their cds with dvds so I don't understand why TJ would not do it, especially after they did with ADULT. And it's not that the himitsu dvd made ADULT sell, it's that the fact that it has bonus content, in my opinion, makes more people want to buy it more than they would for a regular release that they can always get, unlike the limited one.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.06 at 07:05 PM.
Old 2007.09.06, 08:58 PM   #7
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I don't NEED a bonus but most artists in japan seem to release their cds with dvds so I don't understand why TJ would not do it, especially after they did with ADULT. And it's not that the himitsu dvd made ADULT sell, it's that the fact that it has bonus content, in my opinion, makes more people want to buy it more than they would for a regular release that they can always get, unlike the limited one.
Exactly, and believe it or not, fans will buy more than one copy. As well, more copies means stores will order more shipments to cover both versions. They will then feel a need to drive their sales, and will indirectly promote Tokyo Jihen even more. The DVD bonus with Adult was indeed a huge selling point because everyone that bought Dynamite! Out in Japan could also have been a potential customer. The point is, having any limited version/extra additions are always HUGE HUGE HUGE selling factors.

A perfect example is Koda Kumi's second BEST album; it came in CD+2DVD, CD+DVD, CD and then an alternate jacket cover of that? The result? 2 million sales and the highest selling album in a long time.

I don't need to defend how crucial having a limited DVD pressing or additional CD/DVD bonus to an album is; the sale figures do more than an adequate job of proving it for me.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.06, 11:45 PM   #8
katsu333

katsu333 pleased at least somebody

I agree with the inclusion of extras and limited editions in CD releases. It is happening in Japan, but also all around the world because it adds a special value to your purchase and justifies the high prices of the records (nowadays a little people would spend 20€ for a CD in a simple jewel box with a 2 pages booklet).

What's more, I think these special limited editions help to fight against piracy for the same reason. With that people get a special edition with a nice package with a few extras (even if it is a simple sticker) that is nothing that they can download as easy as an mp3 album.

Personally the special editions have encouraged me to buy more albums than I ever did before, and I think that's good.
katsu333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.07, 05:12 AM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

i dunno. i guess this thread makes record exec's exuberant...
Old 2007.09.07, 07:25 AM   #10
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

What do you reckon they're gonna put on the bonus DVD? The complete discography of farting sounds Ukigumo can make with his guitar? My take on that is that the bonus items *might* encourage casual listeners to pick the album up. It isn't quite the anti-piracy tool since some of the bonus stuff end up floating around the internet anyway. I would say that the singles are better promotional tools than bonus DVDs just because it's a little sneak preview of the album (even if it's not always the case), so if people like the singles they'd probably want to buy the album as well. The best marketing tool however, goes back to the product. If the music on album #3 strikes a chord with the public, people will buy it, bonus DVD or not.