Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.12.03, 04:31 PM   #1
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community
Default Official English cover of Kabukichou no joou just released!

Scott Murphy, bassist of Chicago pop-punk band Allister, just released Guilty Pleasures 3, a cover album that includes 8 well-known Japanese songs, one of them being Shiina Ringo's Kabukichou no jou.

He called the track Kabukichou no joou ~ Scott's own english translation version ~ ( 歌舞伎町の女王 ~スコット本人による英訳ver.~)

Here's the link to the announcement on his official website:
http://www.universal-music.co.jp/sco.../upch1634.html

You can listen to the Kabukichou preview by clicking on one of the buttons on the right.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.03, 04:53 PM   #2
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

this makes me want to throw up a little bit in my mouth...uhhhhh...I can taste it....his translation is a really liberal and the other covers are just...whyyyyyyyyyyy, NOT TOTORO, NOOOOOOOO
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.03, 05:15 PM   #3
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Why is he doing this? Is he living and recording in Japan a la Marty Friedman? If so I assume it's not intended for a western audience, else I would have gave him props for doing something like this even if the cover will likely be god awful. But since it likely won't be heard outside of Japan and a very select few Westerners I guess it won't have any sort of effect aside from just being bad. Not that I would have expected it to create an influx of Shiina interest... he is an ex-member of Allister after all, not Bono.

I always thought Thom Yorke would appreciate Ringo. KZK at the very least. I think he could do some mean Ringo covers. If somebody was to introduce him to Shiina and he liked KZK, he'd no doubt blog about it on Dead Air Space or mention her somewhere. That would actually get her a lot of exposure. Shame I can't force Thom Yorke to listen to KZK a few times.
Old 2008.12.03, 05:23 PM   #4
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

If he likes this song he shouldn't mutilate it like that...
Old 2008.12.03, 05:24 PM   #5
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

MUAHAAAHA. It's pretty cheesy from the preview...at least he has good taste in his listening habits.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.04, 12:02 AM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

While I usually buy anything related to Shiina Ringo, I won't touch that album with a ten-foot pole. I'd rather listen to a Saito Neko arrangement a thousand times. Absolutely nothing carried through, that made the original song special. If I were paying any attention to the lyrics (I usually don't - even when the song is good), the damage to my psyche probably would have shaved a year or two off my lifespan.

Please, before you click that link - think of the children.
Old 2008.12.04, 01:37 AM   #7
pocket

pocket pleased at least somebody

I clicked..........

next time I shall apply greater judgement and pay more attention to your wise counsel Glathannus.

I consider myself pretty open minded and easy going about music.....but oh dear.
pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.04, 01:42 AM   #8
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

That was painful. I can't even describe how awful that was. Did I really just listen to what I thought I did? I think I'm going to go on with my life and pretend that song, or whole album for that matter, doesn't exist.
Old 2008.12.04, 02:27 AM   #9
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I wont even click the link, I just don't wanna hear it.

EDIT: I just couldn't help myself and clicked the link! I'm so so sorry I did that, how very terrible this rendition has no place existing.

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2008.12.04 at 03:00 AM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.04, 04:08 AM   #10
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

thanks for the link. its awesome of him to WANT to do this, but not awesome that he actually did it and made it all barf sounding. The person I'd trust most with a shiina ringo cover would be patrick wolf and theres still a 50% chance he'd fuck it up. I'm pretty sure he'd dig her too. Theres some bands I think could make it at least interesting and MAYBE not bad like Of Montreal. I'm kind of curious what Xiu xiu would do with a shiina ringo song but I'm a little too terrified to imagine it.

Theres also a no name band from NYC that I would love to hear cover ringo, called Apes and Androids. I think some ringo fans would appreciate their style (imagine if ringo composed songs for queen as a hipster indie rock band)

Hey are there any western celebrities that have shown any knowledge or interest in ringo? I'm pretty sure I heard Mika is into her.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote