Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.12.06, 06:17 AM   #1
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts
Default Shiina Ringo + PUFFY collaboration!

From mimu-net.net:

7 mois après son dernier single, le duo remet ça avec Hiyori Hime. Mais cette fois, c'est Shiina Ringo qui se chargera de la composition.
Le nouveau single de Puffy sortira le 25 février, et sera donc écrit et composé par Shiina Ringo. Il servira d'opening à l'anime Genji Monogatari Sennenki Genji, dont la diffusion commencera en janvier.
It says that on February 25th, PUFFY is releasing a new single called "Hiyori Hime", and the music/lyrics will be composed by our Ringo. It will be the opening to an anime called "Genji Monogatari Sennenki Genji", whose broadcast will start on January.
Old 2008.12.06, 07:31 AM   #2
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think Ringo found a way to have lasting music career even when she isn't the star. She's like Burt Bacharach.

The single will sit next to my Rie Tomosaka and Tokio singles.
Old 2008.12.06, 08:58 AM   #3
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Isn't this great news? Puffy are one of the few good Japanese artists, I heard.
Old 2008.12.06, 09:12 AM   #4
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Isn't this great news? Puffy are one of the few good Japanese artists, I heard.
Yes, it's a great piece of news. I love PUFFY so I'll love this single especially . If I liked Amagasa/Kachuu no Otoko by a boyband I used to hate...
Old 2008.12.06, 09:36 AM   #5
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

wow, that's... kinda awesome...

ringo recently really chooses musicians and bands, I totally can relate to and liked way before that. I'm so looking forward to it!
Old 2008.12.06, 10:19 AM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
The single will sit next to my Rie Tomosaka and Tokio singles.
Except the Tokio composition sounds too much like Killer Tune, while everything Shiina Ringo composed for Tomosaka Rie sounded a lot more original in comparison. Back then everything she involved herself with was more original on average. We didn't have compilation/arranged albums of material we had already heard from her before, remasters (except for Koufukuron), and Superstar v3.0 (more commonly known as "Shiseikatsu").

At this time of Shiina Ringo's career, I'm not optimistic about this single. The fact that it's being featured as an anime intro, makes me all-the-more cynical about it. It's not that I look down on anime just for being anime, but let's face it - not every anime project breaks the mold like Cowboy Bebop did, by featuring one great musician for the overall soundtrack, while the guest musicians get casually sprinkled throughout the middle, rather than rubbed in your face.

When an anime gets so long that it has to be broken up into seasons, and the opening/closing compositions have no connection to the other music between while producers cycle through one (usually overrated) musician after another... I can't take that kind of 'art' seriously - neither the music nor the anime. It wreaks of manufacturing and milking.

It's not an accomplishment that pe'zmoku recently got featured on Bleach, when the number one reason is because their vocals are just as annoying as all the other bands who have been included in that series.

That's what I'm afraid of about this PUFFY single. That it's being featured in an anime intro with no connection to the rest of the music because it somehow "fits the profile" of what the anime producers think the anime fans want to hear. The emphasis is on the music being acceptable more than the music actually being good.

Sorry to shit all over everyone's parade. You heard the gloomy forecast here first.
Old 2008.12.06, 10:30 AM   #7
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

GENJI MONOGATARI ANIME!?

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2008.12.06, 10:46 AM   #8
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Its going to be Rurouni Kenshin all over again. except no Bonnie Pink and Judy and Mary this time.

I doesnt really bother me that the song has no connection to the content of the show, "Shuraba" was like that too. Strange song for a samurai drama.

She's doing it for the $$$, bless her soul.
Old 2008.12.06, 10:57 AM   #9
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Oh my, great news
Thanks Orenji!

And I think you are wrong Glath. Just because it will be used in a anime, doesn't mean it will have to stick to "anime standards". "Paranoid Android" was used as Ergo Proxy's ED. BôA's "Duvet" was used as Lain OP. Katteni Shiyagare's "Auver Blues" was used as Kemonozume OP. Are those bad songs? Or songs that could be better if they didn't have the "for anime" limitation?
Bleach and Naruto only represent one of the most popular genres, shounen. That doesn't mean all music used in animes is bad. Also, Tale of Genji will air on the Noitamina time-slot, which has featured some of the best anime series from the past 3 or 4 years, all of them with great OPs/EDs. And they are all for mature audiences, as well. And with only 11 episodes, I doubt Tale of Genji will have more than one OP and ED.

Let's just hope this colab merges the best from each artist
Old 2008.12.06, 11:09 AM   #10
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Sweet. Puffy is always fun to listen to, so this should be nice.
Closed Thread