Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.20, 07:27 PM   #11
isxahopas

isxahopas pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by JimmyKoria View Post
The Adult songs kind of make the video a little humorous (sorry if that wasn't the effect you were going for). It kind of reminds me of those old movies in sepia that have dancy jazz playing and people poking one another in the eye.
Now, I'm not quite certain if I understand that "poking one another in the eye" reference but overall, I believe you're the first person to 1) actually post about the mash-up and 2) ease my fear that people would misinterpret it.

PS @ jigenbakuda- Your karaoke wins.
isxahopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.21, 12:40 AM   #12
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I would comment about the video and actually watch more than just the first part if it wasn't just an album playing over a film. If you had intentionally edited the film to match the album, then I would give you mad rep!
Not trying to be harsh. If this is what you wanted to do, there's nothing wrong about it. Still, considering some of my video's topics have around 1 or 2 pages, yours is already a success =P
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.21, 05:09 AM   #13
isxahopas

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I would comment about the video and actually watch more than just the first part if it wasn't just an album playing over a film. If you had intentionally edited the film to match the album, then I would give you mad rep!
I remember sitting around at work watching the unintentional mash-up with a girlfriend for the first time with a split-second consensus of "this is genius! this is genius!" We tried holding a few "movie nights" at our job to mixed reviews, a lot of which sounded like yours. "Negative" comments were somewhere along the lines of "oh, but it's interesting- I think you're really on to something... if only you had edited the film for a 100% match." I'm well aware that the film marriage is not perfect, but for those instances where it's a clever (unplanned!) match, I hope that it's worth overlooking those occasional 4-5 seconds of awkwardness in between. The first "Keshou Naoshi" and "Yukiguni" for example, are two of the movements the pairing really "wow-ed" me each of the now seven times I've watched it beginning to end. Overall, I'd hope it's not something so awkward that I'd have to say "forgive it" from the beginning but personally, if I didn't feel it was something worthwhile, I wouldn't have uploaded it.

I think that one of my greatest obstacles with "Bara no Otona" is that in comparison to "The Wizard of Oz" and "Dark Side of the Rainbow", no one but Mizer die-hards have actually sat through "Bara no Konrei" before. That comparison is part of what makes "Bara no Otona" so enjoyable to watch, at least in my opinion. Instead, I have to go out on a limb and say "hey, watch this wonky vampire/fetishist flick with a cat screaming over it for an hour and a half." But as one who has sat through this seven times I can say that "Bara no Otona" is unconventional yet smart, best viewed not objectively as a film but rather an extended music video, and I challenge anyone to watch part one of of "Bara no Konrei" and tell me that the original is more enjoyable

Furthermore, I would like to stray from editing "Bara no Otona" into a "fan vid" because it's not a deliberate tribute to anyone or anything than my year-old+ mistake that married "Adult" and "Bara no Konrei" in the first place (also, it doesn't aid that I'm getting closer and closer to that mad genius state where I almost wholeheartedly believe that my mash-up is the monster brainchild that will stand the test of time.)

Like "Dark Side of the Rainbow", it's a worthwhile watch at least once in your life, but with "Bara no Otona" there's a given convenience of not having to be high to "get it." And thank you very much for your (much shorter!) constructive criticism, really

Still, considering some of my video's topics have around 1 or 2 pages, yours is already a success =P
Oh, have your film posts unintentionally become Malice Mizer threads as well, then?

Last edited by isxahopas : 2009.04.21 at 05:17 AM. Reason: added link!
Old 2009.04.21, 05:28 AM   #14
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

My videos actually required a couple of days of editing (Ringo Menu required more). I really don't want to bring this subject to your topic, even more because it makes me look like a prick, but I think it's a valid reason not to find it amazing.
As a music video geek, I've had many experiences of listening to an album through a player and watching tv on mute. And when music meets the image, it's all just a big coincidence.
Also, during the process of making a music video, something similar happens very often: I randomly place a video clip somewhere on the timeline and it accidentally matches the song. After that, I may chose to place the video where I had planned or stick with that happy coincidence.
For those reasons, I don't give much credit to that. Sure it's very interesting, but it's also a very easy way to give images to sound. Imagine if all music video directors did that. We surely wouldn't have had the creativity of the "Service" video.

Long story short: been there, done that.
And I didn't know about the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" thing, thanks for informing me. It's wikipedia page is hueg. And what Alan Parsons mentions here is pretty much what I said.

EDIT: I watched the Part 3 of your video (ending of "Shuraba", "Yukiguni" and "Kabuki"). I really understand why you like the result, because there's really many times where things match (the onna thing in Yukiguni while showing the painting of a woman). Also in Kabuki, the "crazyness" follows the song, and there are certain movements, cuts and those lights at the very end that match correctly. But the fact is that you put a huge gap between "Yukiguni" and "Kabuki" (which irritated me because it's supposed to be continuous lol), and if you didn't it wouldn't match anymore (or it possibly would, but in a different way).

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.04.21 at 05:48 AM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.21, 06:07 AM   #15
isxahopas

My videos actually required a couple of days of editing (Ringo Menu required more). I really don't want to bring this subject to your topic, even more because it makes me look like a prick, but I think it's a valid reason not to find it amazing.
As a music video geek, I've had many experiences of listening to an album through a player and watching tv on mute. And when music meets the image, it's all just a big coincidence.
Long story short: been there, done that.
From the nearly unintelligible Japanese title to Mana's fetishist lair sous his/her nunnery- if you're expecting something deep and existential, "Bara no Otona" is not for you

Like I said in my last post, "it's not a deliberate tribute to anyone or anything (other) than my year-old+ mistake that married "Adult" and "Bara no Konrei" in the first place." Now, this happens to be a mistake that I like so, I'll own up to it to the fullest extent but that's all I can rightfully claim credit for. The only intent I had in going through the light task of editing, cutting, and uploading this to YouTube was to show that timing "Otona" to "Bara no Konrei", a seriously ludicrous sequence of interesting coincidences go down. That "mad genius" part thrown in there is just me playing the overzealous arse of a "creator" whose got nothing on whatever artistic vision you may have (and I know that probably came off really sarcastic, but I honestly don't mean it to!)

My long story short: Enjoy and don't read too much into it.

And I didn't know about the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" thing, thanks for informing me. It's wikipedia page is hueg. And what Alan Parsons mentions here is pretty much what I said.
Yes, and if you do watch it, please pm me your opinion! I didn't get it, either.

Last edited by isxahopas : 2009.04.21 at 06:11 AM.