Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.06.04, 11:51 PM   #71
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

This afternoon I got an invitation to the wedding of Laser and Fina. And I know a very cute Korean girl called Harry (really, it's on her ID). And when I was working at a florist, there was an Acid who would always send flowers to a Krisferine...
Old 2007.06.05, 05:04 AM   #72
k3nj1kun

k3nj1kun pleased at least somebody

my chinese friend's name is King
but we call him Tony..
i'd rather be called king!
k3nj1kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 09:04 PM   #73
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by zach View Post
Well, probably most of the kids that already have English names have them because they've attended English hagwons (private institutes) for years beforehand. So they don't adopt them just when they travel abroad; they adopt them when they attend English school. I don't think many Korean parents (in Korea) give their children English names.

Further evidence it's not parentally bequeathed: many of my students change their English name, sometimes repeatedly, to suit their whims or to avoid duplication. One girl has changed her name something like 10 times; I've lost count. She was Ashley, then Julie, then Laura, then Julauria (she made it up), and last I checked she was Isabel. ^.^ (<-- like it? i'm learning)

And, I'm open for suggestions for more outrageous names to "punish" my students with. Any ideas anyone?
Ohh, I see. That makes sense! And, I just said Julauria outloud and it's soo funny!! Hahahahha XD It sounds so Korean. And yes, you're learning well!! Hehheh ^.^

Hmm, what about OSCA? (With all caps.) o_o It sounds like Oscar? It wouldn't help him learn the 'r' sound, though...

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
This afternoon I got an invitation to the wedding of Laser and Fina. And I know a very cute Korean girl called Harry (really, it's on her ID). And when I was working at a florist, there was an Acid who would always send flowers to a Krisferine...
Do you know the couple?? And, I think the Harry's Korean name is Hari. What's an Acid?

Originally Posted by k3nj1kun View Post
my chinese friend's name is King
but we call him Tony..
i'd rather be called king!
I'd rather be called Tony... o_o;;
Old 2007.06.05, 11:27 PM   #74
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
Hmm, what about OSCA? (With all caps.) o_o It sounds like Oscar? It wouldn't help him learn the 'r' sound, though...
Hehe, great idea! And you made me think... I can use Sesame Street characters!! Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird, Snuffelupagus (i think that student would pick a new name rather than learn how to spell that). Awesome. I just got two new students in one of my classes yesterday, and they don't have English names...

bwhahahahaha...

(and I'm pretty sure in this case "an Acid" is just a person named Acid)

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.12, 12:02 PM   #75
haruhi-suzumiya

haruhi-suzumiya is headed in the right direction

I'm looking at several CDs, mainly KSK, and there she spells her name 'Sheena Rinngo' and also spells her name 'Shéna Ringö' 'Shena Ringo' 'Shiina Ringo' and that's it.

quote=badtzmaru;3071]Despite the accentuated romaji issue, isn't the 'Shéna Ringö' pronunciation incorrect anyway?

Really?? How else has she spelled it?[/quote]
haruhi-suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.12, 12:20 PM   #76
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh thanks, Frecklegirl mentioned the KSK one and I found out when I finally got my copy. But, I didn't know she spelled her name Shiina Ringo! Where is that from??
Old 2007.06.12, 12:55 PM   #77
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

For the record, I've changed all my mp3 files of SR from "Shena" to "Shiina." The more I learn the language, the sillier "Shena" looks, especially without the accent mark.

Having said that I do think the accent mark = apple stem; umlaut = apple pits thing is cute as hell.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.12, 01:14 PM   #78
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm lately going from romaji to kanji just because I get more and more pretentious, and the softwares start supporting that properly.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.12, 05:39 PM   #79
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Shiina Ringo is from SS... I think.
Old 2007.06.13, 08:22 AM   #80
das_blibber

Location: Body: Cologne, Germany - Spirit: somewhere in this Universe
das_blibber is headed in the right direction

please, can someone tell me on which albums/singles she called herself Ringö?
i always wonder, how it would sound, if Ringö would pronounce it
it sounds sweet and a little weird, if pronounced by a german.

thanks in advance

off-topic monster
das_blibber is offline   Reply With Quote