Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.07.06, 07:51 PM   #191
chibijelly

chibijelly has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Well, it's not a B-side; the single was a double-A-side so it's logical that it made it onto the album, even though it really does have that out-of-place B-side feel.
Was it a double-A-side just because both were used in CMs? :| Because yeah - totally sounds out-of-place.
chibijelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 07:57 PM   #192
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ Its the best song ever cause it trolls everyone
Old 2011.07.06, 09:08 PM   #193
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by chibijelly View Post
Was it a double-A-side just because both were used in CMs? :| Because yeah - totally sounds out-of-place.
The way you know if it's a double-A-side is if both songs are in the title of the single with a slash in between. And also if both get PVs. CM usage is irrelevant.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 09:17 PM   #194
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
...you stopped when you reached the end?
....I stopped trying to understand what he was trying to accomplish by posting the list.

I feel as though your misinterpretation was deliberate.

Last edited by LoBFCanti : 2011.07.06 at 09:21 PM.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 09:31 PM   #195
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

I said this before, but I'm gonna throw it out as a question now.
For me, based on the singles and commercial songs, etc, I expected to not like this album very much. However, I was pleasantly surprised and when it was all put together, it's a pretty good album. Not my favorite, but good songs and a good overall feel.
For you guys though, how does the album compare to your expectations? A lot of you, like me, seemed to not be expecting much for it, but no one seems to really think that this is as bad as it could have been. Do you agree? Were you expecting more or less?

Also I love kuro's statement about it feeling like a fresh start. Totally agree.
Old 2011.07.06, 09:35 PM   #196
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Yeah, I had rock-bottom expectations and now I am pleased that I like it.

If I stop liking an artist's work (or alternately if I discover I don't like her personality very much), I stop wanting to spend my time translating their stuff, so it's actually very fortunate.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 09:41 PM   #197
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Yeah, I had rock-bottom expectations and now I am pleased that I like it.

If I stop liking an artist's work (or alternately if I discover I don't like her personality very much), I stop wanting to spend my time translating their stuff, so it's actually very fortunate.
Not to derail, but I was shocked to see Dear Dairy era translations on the blog. I very much didn't like that album. I might not be so hard on it now though. I'll give it another listen soon.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.06, 10:01 PM   #198
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by s3r3nity View Post
I said this before, but I'm gonna throw it out as a question now.
For me, based on the singles and commercial songs, etc, I expected to not like this album very much. However, I was pleasantly surprised and when it was all put together, it's a pretty good album. Not my favorite, but good songs and a good overall feel.
For you guys though, how does the album compare to your expectations? A lot of you, like me, seemed to not be expecting much for it, but no one seems to really think that this is as bad as it could have been. Do you agree? Were you expecting more or less?
That was my initial reaction as well. Upon first listen, I was thinking, "Hey...this is actually pretty good!" The songs are enjoyable and easy to digest off the bat--yet they lack the depth that is going to make me want to go back to it often. Adult, Variety, and Sports really smoke! Discovery is a bit dull, isn't it? It's a little hard for me to understand what they're going for with songs like "空が鳴っている" (which of course was released as a single...) I suppose the sound is something slightly different for TJ, but it feels like a step backward, musically.

And, again, something about the production--it just doesn't BANG quite as much as the last three albums.

It's been a week, though, and I'm still listening!
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.07, 07:16 AM   #199
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Considering Dopamint! and the other jazzy-er songs on the album, I don't think Onna no Ko is "out of place" so much as "in the wrong place" ie at the very end.
At the same time Onna no Ko isn't really a Jihen song. But hey, we got a Shiina solo song in a Jihen release, we should be happy!

My expectations were that it would be better than Sports. And I'm not sure if it is, but if it is it isn't much better.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.07, 08:18 AM   #200
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by s3r3nity View Post
Also I love kuro's statement about it feeling like a fresh start. Totally agree.
How many "fresh starts" does a band need though? They've already had two with Adult and Variety.