Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.11.17, 12:26 PM   #321
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Sometimes I wonder what goes on behind the scenes here, if you'll excuse the pun!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 02:12 PM   #322
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
You sound like every film student trying desperately to impress his peers by adopting some saucy, "too cool" weakly stilted opinion.

Weakly stilted in spite of all that text.

For someone whose posts are always so holier than thou, your posts are always so pet-ish/fanboyish.

To say "he can't direct." is just asinine. Sure he's not Kubrik, but for mainstream Hollywood directors, to find markedly better would be the few and the elite. Parroting the same Internet Cool Guy arguments (that have already been discussed) just makes you sound as much of an adolescent needing reassurance as those who you look down upon for liking Nolan movies (Heaven's to betsy!) Sure, Nolan depicted dreams differently than Michel Gondry, but he made his creative choice, reinforced it, and ran with it. It's like being upset that there wasn't more slapstick in Citizen Kane or that they didn't hook up at the end of Casablanca. (Excuse me for comparing Inception with Kane and Casablanca; they are just easy references. )

As said before if you really lost track of who the good guy, the bad guy were, and what was at stake in any of his action scenes I can't help but wonder if you were looking at the screen the entire time. If you really want incoherent action scenes, I invite you to check out Transformers 2. As for the tired ass female character arguments, you gotta just think it is a bigger indictment of Hollywood at large. The protagonist is usually gonna be a dude, and he fairly often is going to have some intra-personal ghost or conflict -- which is either going to be a lady or his dad. Can't blame Nolan for not rewriting Batman's backstory, or making Inception less interesting.

Who knows though, maybe these hip cool reasons why "popular director" really sucks gets you more invites to obscure B-horror movie vhs book-clubs.
Don't get me wrong, I really want to be convinced that all the time I've spent watching Nolan movies was worth it. There are good things in his movies, I just accentuated the negative to make a point. Sorry my style doesn't seem to hit the sweet spot of balance between enthusiasm and dry objective judgment that you hold up as a personal standard (you got an issue with my general manner on here, I really don't give a shit), but let's stick to substance.

You're right, Nolan is a creature of Hollywood and embodies a lot of its sexism and incoherent storytelling, which doesn't stop his movies from being hits, and there are worse directors. But I think there are far better filmmakers who've come before Nolan and done exactly what he did, much better, and I just can't throw all that stuff away and join the hordes who declare him an original genius. I don't feel "cool" saying that, in fact I feel very uncool and unhip and not-with-the-crowd and that doesn't make me proud, just confused.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 04:21 PM   #323
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Here's the thing about Batman, coming from a huge Batman fan:
THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOLAN HAVING POORLY WRITTEN WOMEN IN A BATMAN FILM. To think that "Oh, well Nolan is only working with what he's got; Batman doesn't have strong, well-written women" is INCORRECT.
Here is a list of SOME OF THE strong, well-written women in the Batman mythos, all of which have had excellent stories told, without cheesecake, and all of whom could easily fit in the Nolanverse
Renee Montoya/The Question
Catwoman [Yes, I know she's in the third one, but I doubt their going to go with the Brubaker/Cooke version]
Oracle
Spoiler
Cassandra Cain
Lady Shiva
Poison Ivy
Huntress [Who I think would especially work well in the Nolanverse, because she's tied to the mob and has an origin/style based more in the gritty realism like the Nolanverse]
Black Canary
Talia al Ghul
Harley Quinn

What we end up with though, is a watered down Vicki Vale/Harvey Dent mash-up who ends up getting fridged.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 04:54 PM   #324
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Fuck BATMAN

The only real superhero is this guy:

Old 2011.11.17, 04:56 PM   #325
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

^ Not far off from the truth!

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
in fact I feel very uncool and unhip and not-with-the-crowd
Oh christ... Wheres that hipster kitty meme..
Old 2011.11.17, 05:17 PM   #326
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I get where Nimh is coming from. Recently, I had to work with bunch of new people, and when we were talking about favorite bands ("Incubus!" "Radiohead!") I could have said "Tokyo Incidents" but I knew I would just come across as an outcast, so I lied and said "The Beatles" as a safe choice.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 05:18 PM   #327
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Wuss

If they outcast you for that, then who cares if you're an outcast. FFS.

If someone asks me my favourite musician, I say Ringo, they say 'who' and then I don't have to sit through some asinine conversation that I've had a billion times before. Hell, I've even just made up names of bands before. One of them being 'The Crusty Sacks"

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.11.17 at 05:26 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 05:32 PM   #328
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

^^^ I always say "The Beatles" or "Elvis" in those kinds of situations.

In "what's your favorite movie" situations, I say Casablanca or The Godfather mostly, even though the answer is Blue Velvet.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 05:41 PM   #329
deadgrandma

Mulholland Drive is my fave Lynch, closely followed by Blue Velvet and Inland Empire.

I'd put a picture of the best part of Mulholland Drive, but I better not.
Old 2011.11.18, 04:00 AM   #330
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I like black orpheus.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote