Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.12.05, 03:17 PM   #101
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Thumbs up neko!!!

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
there is no latin lyrics in Gaman, all lyrics are kansai-ben japanese, but the piano is latin, so you see it referred to constantly in the interview as latin piano, hence the confusion.

I started to read the interview and its amazingly long. I read the first few paragraphs and I'll list some of the interesting facts. Apparently Ringo grew tired of the Variety music right after the tour finished.
Was this the part in the interview where Izawa laughed and said he was surprised? No bad blood indeed =P

This is *the first time* a theme has been picked and the songs written according to this theme. Variety and Adult were both albums where the theme was picked in correlation to the songs. Regarding the theme, the concept was "sports in your own way," according to Ringo, so this idea of sports might be quite loose and interpreted differently,
I thought this would be the case. As I said, this may possibly be SR's first proper concept album!

Sports is...

Ringo: Sitting in the lounge, playing solitaire
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.05, 03:23 PM   #102
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the part with izawa laughing and saying he was surprised? didn't get to that part yet. the part with ringo talking about variety and feeling bored with it she mentions she never mentioned it to anyone and since at that point izawa wasn't being asked any questions there was no response from him.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.05, 04:57 PM   #103
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
seriously with those earrings?
I'm fine with the earrings. It's the pants that I'm worried about. @.@

But I love the little flourish everyone does at the end of the intro.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.05, 09:25 PM   #104
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I am really happy to hear what they are saying about this single and this album. Even though I'm not crazy about the 2 new songs, its nice to finally hear someone treat the music as art rather than a soundtrack to an image or a gimmick (though we do have this lame sports thing going on, it does not seem to play that strong a role on the music). I was fed up with all the talk of comparisons (that didn't fit at all...showa era music and comparing SG the album to SG the song) and all this focus on image and interviews full of questions that had absolutely nothing to do with anything about the music. It started to seem so shallow. I really like the way the other band members are talking about the music now and it makes me excited to hear the new stuff despite the last 3 Ringo releases being totally fall from the exquisite Ringo releases that gave me an answer to all those people who say there will never be anything as innovative and accessible Beatles again.

I am able to accept phase 2 and I'm finally interested in Ukigumi and Izawa (honestly, I don't know a damn thing about percussion so its rare for me to care about a drummer...and the drums have been consistently good throughout Ringo's career regardless of who was behind them). Still don't know if I'd be interested in any solo albums if they decided to put them out (other than maybe Kameda since he's basically almost as responsible as Ringo herself for a lot of her music) Did the phase 2 members ever talk at interviews before? Did anyone care or would anyone have cared? Definitely hope we hear more of Ukigumos voice (as backup anyway).

I think Tokyo Jihen is finally becoming a band, rather than just a vessel for Ringo. Seeing Ringo take the backseat during an interview doesn't seem strange at all. Phase 1 was incredible but it obviously wasn't meant to last and despite the all-star lineup, it was still a Ringo-fest. I can appreciate new music even if it doesn't come close to the music that I'm in love with (2000-2006/7), as long as I can see some real artistic intent (which i'm not sure I saw much of any from Variety onward).
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.06, 12:33 AM   #105
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by lazer85 View Post
Did the phase 2 members ever talk at interviews before? Did anyone care or would anyone have cared? Definitely hope we hear more of Ukigumos voice (as backup anyway).
Yeah. Remember, Ukigumo and Izawa were supposed to be in the spotlight for Variety, so they took centre stage for many of the interviews.

The thing that gets me is that despite the 'oh they're FINALLY a band', Phase 1 were a proper band from the get-go. But yeah, it's just best to consider that band some kind of 'superband' at that point, and wouldn't have lasted anyway.

I hope when she says 'tremendous growth' it means that we're about to witness another gear shift in her artistic career.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.06, 03:07 AM   #106
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Yeah. Remember, Ukigumo and Izawa were supposed to be in the spotlight for Variety, so they took centre stage for many of the interviews.
...................................................................................................

I hope when she says 'tremendous growth' it means that we're about to witness another gear shift in her artistic career.

Well I wasn't exactly all that interested in that album so I didnt watch any interviews. Come to think of it I'm pretty much not that well versed in anything except for songs and what I read here (that includes most of the DVDs, interviews, all the this and that) so I guess I can't say that about the interview.

As far as a gear shift, that'd be nice. 2 gears backwards would be nice to. As much as I usually prefer artists to continually change, I think I'd be completely content if Ringo had made more and more of the same during that late solo, early Jihen period. She has always worked with so many genres at once that a halt in her evolution would hardly be boring. I am starting to see parallels between Ringo/Jihen evolution and that of the human race. The genre blending and hopping and trying new things kind of reminds me a lot of this: "Cool! Technology! Let's make some big cities and and antibiotics and OH FUCK THEIR BECOMING IMMUNE AND THE ENVIRONMENT IS COLLAPSING ON US!" .
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 06:53 AM   #107
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Oricon singles chart for this week

1, *45,299, *45,299, 能動的三分間, , , TOKYO JIHEN
2, *26,871, *26,871, 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇, , , DIR EN GREY
3, *26,688, 173,330, R.I.P./Merry Christmas, , , BUMP OF CHICKEN

is that good? I have no idea.
Old 2009.12.09, 07:00 AM   #108
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Considering it only has 2 tracks on it in a day and age where 3-track singles are much more common, I would say that's quite a sales accomplishment.

We also have to take into account the declining CD sales throughout the industry. The latest singles might not be selling as many copies as the singles of 5 or 10 years ago, but Tokyo Jihen is still selling fairly well in proportion to whatever competition they face(d) in the past or the present.
Old 2009.12.09, 08:59 AM   #109
Princesse-de-Porcelaine

Princesse-de-Porcelaine pleased at least somebody

I still have to listen to it to make sure, but so far, I think I really do like this single. When I listen to it, it really sounds like the "music of the future" to me. I can't wait for their next album.

And thank you kuro_neko for the info about the interview, it was really interesting!
Princesse-de-Porcelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 09:07 AM   #110
miffunevii

miffunevii has had more than 15 seconds of fame

OMG
miffunevii is offline   Reply With Quote